how to build a CD copy tower

Old August 21st 03, 11:48 AM
scchui

Default how to build a CD copy tower

Hi,

I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs without
computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone give some opinion
on this?

rgds,
scchui

Old August 21st 03, 07:12 PM

scchui wrote:
: Hi,

: I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs without
: computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone give some opinion
: on this?

More trouble than it's worth when you can go buy a complete setup
for $170 at Best Buy.

Jamie

Old August 21st 03, 07:14 PM
Mike S.

In article , scchui wrote:
Hi,

I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs without
computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone give some opinion
on this?

You need the circuit board containing the controller that "runs" the show
.... otherwise it's just two drives in a box. It isn't a component normally
sold off the shelf, though I have seen a couple of do-it-yourself
duplicator kits at computer flea markets.

I'd probly be cheaper, and more flexible, to devote a cheap PC to the
task.

Old August 21st 03, 07:29 PM
Mike Richter

Mike S. wrote:
In article , scchui
wrote:

Hi,

I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs
without computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone
give some opinion on this?

You need the circuit board containing the controller that "runs" the
show ... otherwise it's just two drives in a box. It isn't a
component normally sold off the shelf, though I have seen a couple of
do-it-yourself duplicator kits at computer flea markets.

I'd probly be cheaper, and more flexible, to devote a cheap PC to the
task.

He also needs to write the software to run the processor - a much bigger
task. After all, a processor board is very inexpensive even including
the EIDE controller and other hardware. Then there's the keyboard to
tell it what to do and the display to show what it's doing ...

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old August 21st 03, 09:18 PM
Mike S.

In article , Mike Richter wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article , scchui
wrote:

Hi,

I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs
without computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone
give some opinion on this?

You need the circuit board containing the controller that "runs" the
show ... otherwise it's just two drives in a box. It isn't a
component normally sold off the shelf, though I have seen a couple of
do-it-yourself duplicator kits at computer flea markets.

I'd probly be cheaper, and more flexible, to devote a cheap PC to the
task.

He also needs to write the software to run the processor - a much bigger
task. After all, a processor board is very inexpensive even including
the EIDE controller and other hardware. Then there's the keyboard to
tell it what to do and the display to show what it's doing ...

If he buys a do-it-yourself standalone duplicator kit he does not have to
write software. You just buy the box and add drives.

The controller board is plug-and-play and has its own drive control
firmware. There are several players in this market, mainly for OEM's ...
such as Domex (www.domex.com.tw) ... a company we knew in the 80's and
early 90's as DTC (Data Technology Corporation) ... maker of drive
controllers that competed with Western Digital's.

Old August 31st 03, 11:06 AM
Camper

"Troy" wrote in message
. ca...
Its cheaper to just buy one already made

Especially the one which you are trying to sell in the post above I suppose!

Old August 31st 03, 04:08 PM
Troy

Nope.....thats an expensive one

Camper wrote in message

. ca...

Old August 31st 03, 04:15 PM
Troy

In case you didn't notice he was asking about a CD tower.The one I am
selling is an automated system with thermal CD printer not just a plain
tower.

Camper wrote in message

. ca...