Monitors turning off

Old February 17th 05, 05:12 PM
Kaz

Default Monitors turning off

I have a very frustrating problem, in that it is very intermittent. I can
start the PC but within 5 to 10 minutes usually, the monitor will turn
itself off (the on off button will go amber....of flash...according to the
type of monitor) I have tried three monitors on the system and it has
happened with all three, over a period of about three months. The monitors
cannot be turned back on via the switches and powering off the PC and
restarting is the only way to get going again, and the machine will operate
fine for the rest of the day. One monitor gave the message ATTENTION 37K/OHZ
FREQUENCY IS OUT OF RANGE. This problem is very intermittent, in that it can
be fine for weeks, and then all of a sudden this problem returns for no
obvious reason. All power settings are turned off....that is, no sleep mode
or hibernating. PC is P4 running WinXP Home, GeForce4 MX440-8X.
Any ideas please.

Regards
Kaz

Old February 18th 05, 03:41 AM
Jerry G.

It may be that your display card set-up is not correct for the type of
monitors that you are running. The resolution, and or the refresh rate may
be too high. This is the reason for the warning.

As for not turning on, make sure that the power settings are not set to
allow standby, or to shut the monitor after a certain period.

As for the standby mode, depending on the combinations, many PC machines,
and their operating systems have problems to manage it. Turn off the auto
off features and see if the monitors are more stable.

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old February 18th 05, 02:00 PM
Kaz

Display card set-up has not changed in 18 months. Refresh rate set at the
lowest....60Hz as well as screen resolution (800x600) All monitors tried on
system have been standard CRT. All auto power features have been turned off.
This problem of the monitor turning off is so random, that I cannot pinpoint
any common event.....except that it usually happens within 5 minutes or so
of booting up PC.

Kaz

Old February 18th 05, 03:36 PM
Pen

At this point you need to change the video
card. The symptoms are clearly that the
display card is acting up.

Old February 18th 05, 04:13 PM
Kaz

That's what I have been thinking. This system is 2 years old and I had to
replace the original GeForce 4 card as the fan died. I chose the GeForce
MX440 with the heat sink but looks like I will have to get away from NVIDIA.
Could it possibly be just a bad connection.....or could dust be the
culprit....I am not comfortable in ripping into the insides of my PC but
will get someone to check it out...if we know what we are looking for.

Old February 18th 05, 11:15 PM
Bill

I have exactly the same problem. My monitor turns off by itself but at
random intervals. I have a Geforce FX5200 which I am sure is the
cause, but how do I prove it???

Old February 19th 05, 04:15 PM
Bill

Ok folks...........this may be of some help. I think I fixed my
monitor turning off problem.
There was a dry joint (unsoldered joint) on U13 on the graphics card.

May be an idea to whip out the graphics card and do a full inspection
of all the joints.

Cheers

Old February 20th 05, 01:15 AM
Bill

hi, the card is an nvidea ge force fx5200 and I only know these things
cause I build printed circuit boards for a living . Although the
manufactures do tests they are not exhaustive.........so was worth a
look....and hey worked for me and might work for others
too...........what was the alternative take it back to the
shop????..........well i dont trust them do you???

Cheers

LCD Monitors - How do you get the "REAL" specs? [email protected] General 2 December 28th 04 10:22 PM
What groups are there for monitors and LCD monitors? Jacko General 0 September 27th 04 09:51 PM
LCD monitors | valuing options Evan Cooch General 10 February 10th 04 08:40 PM
LCD Monitors Muttly General 10 November 5th 03 11:04 PM
How close can two monitors be? slick_shoes General 1 August 4th 03 10:17 AM