Disk and PC diagnostics

Old October 12th 04, 01:41 PM
Michael Culley

Default Disk and PC diagnostics

2 quick questions

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Which programs are good for running a system check, such as memory testing?

Thanks,
Michael Culley

Old October 12th 04, 07:09 PM
Alceryes

What version of Windows?
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

u...

Old October 13th 04, 12:06 AM
DaveW

For RAM testing:

http://www.memtest86.com

--
DaveW

Old October 13th 04, 12:13 AM
Shep©

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:41:17 +1000 There I was minding my own business
and then "Michael Culley" wrote :

2 quick questions

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Your hard drive maker will most likely have a dos diagnostic program
for the drive if you need one.If not then the free,"Powermax" from
Maxtor,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Will test most drive makes.Do,"NOT" ever use the parts of the program
to do a low level format or you may screw the drive up!!!!

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old October 13th 04, 01:42 AM
WebWalker

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:41:17 +1000, "Michael Culley"
wrote:

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Try to check the HD maker site.
You can download a free copy of the HD diagnostics program from them.

Which programs are good for running a system check, such as memory testing?

Memory test ?
Check "DocMemory RAM Diagnostic"
http://www.simmtester.com

--
WebWalker
Old October 13th 04, 06:25 AM
Michael Culley

"WebWalker" wrote in message
You can download a free copy of the HD diagnostics program from them.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check them all out as I've got hold of the
machine I wanted to test. Alceryes, it is running XP but I guess I'm
interested in testing programs for all MS OSs.

--
Michael Culley

Old October 13th 04, 12:49 PM
CK

2 quick questions

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Your hard drive maker will most likely have a dos diagnostic program
for the drive if you need one.If not then the free,"Powermax" from
Maxtor,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Will test most drive makes.Do,"NOT" ever use the parts of the program
to do a low level format or you may screw the drive up!!!!

It depends on whether you class all of the data being removed as "screwed
up". That's what the low-level format does (although it doesn't, strictly,
do a low-level format), and IME the llf from the right manufacturer works
fine for what it does. Sometimes you just want to get the drive in the
just-out-of-the-factory condition.

HTH.

CK

Old October 14th 04, 12:44 PM
HankG

"CK" wrote in message
2 quick questions

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Your hard drive maker will most likely have a dos diagnostic program
for the drive if you need one.If not then the free,"Powermax" from
Maxtor,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Will test most drive makes.Do,"NOT" ever use the parts of the program
to do a low level format or you may screw the drive up!!!!

It depends on whether you class all of the data being removed as "screwed
up". That's what the low-level format does (although it doesn't, strictly,
do a low-level format), and IME the llf from the right manufacturer works
fine for what it does. Sometimes you just want to get the drive in the
just-out-of-the-factory condition.

My computer has a Maxtor drive, so I downloaded Powermax and gave it a shot.
I chose the 'long test' version, which took about 2 hours to run (250 GB
drive). After the scan it said 'passed'. My question: what did it do? A
surface scan?

HankG

Old October 20th 04, 10:37 AM
Michael Culley

"DaveW" wrote in message
For RAM testing:

http://www.memtest86.com

Thanks dave, this is a pretty good program. I was a bit concerned when the
download completed in 1 second :-) It confirmed that the problem with the
machine was the ram and that the new ram has no faults so it's solved my
problem.

Cheers,
Michael Culley

Old February 20th 05, 06:22 AM
Kevin Grover

wrote:

2 quick questions

Is there a better method of checking a HDD than using scandisk or is
scandisk enough?

Which programs are good for running a system check, such as memory testing?

Thanks,
Michael Culley

You may want to look at SpinRite 6 at http://grc.com/

It's commerical, but not too dear.

YMMV

Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
SATA disk, slow? Tomaz Koritnik General 5 June 6th 04 04:13 AM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Only 128Gb of a 160Gb disk ByTor General 2 July 31st 03 02:49 AM