How Move OS XP from Old to New HD?

Old January 7th 04, 06:23 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrpte"
Didn't work.
I assumed the copy from old HD to new HD I had previously
done with MaxBlast was the same as the copy it would do if I
ran the program again, so I just proceeded with the remaining steps.
I moved the jumpers to make the new drive master
I removed the jumper to make the old drive slave

I switched positions of the drives on the ATA cable to
Black {end} connector to New HD
Grey {middle} connector to Old HD

I first started without the old drive connected.
Windows XP began to start but stopped short and produced the
Windows Product Activation box saying there was a problem with
WPA, error code 0x80090006 .

Just to make sure the disconnection of the old drive had nothing
to do with it, I tried again this time with both drives connected as
described above. The same error developed.

So I returned things back the way they we jumpers old=master,
new=slave ; ATA cable, black end to old , grey middle to new.
Now things work as befo the OS is still on the old HD.

My understanding of Win XP WPA is from
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm .
When I installed XP (up form ME) on this machine, I had
already added a NIC and some RAM. Now I'm trying to add
a HD. So the only change in hardware categories is the HD.
That shouldn't be enough to trigger WPA error.

I'll have to call Maxtor and maybe Microsoft tomorrow. It
frustrates me that these companies with global scope should
have such narrow tech support hours. The weekends and
after-normal-business-hours should not be dead time.

It's sure taking a long time just to get a new drive in.

I never had any luck with using MaxBlast to make a bootable
copy of a WinXP drive. Drive Image 2002 has worked, although
only if the source and destination drives are on the same MoBo
IDE channel. (It never did work in any way using ATA133 PCI
controller card channels.) BTW, two different tech reps at Maxtor
commented to me that MaxBlast "isn't very good". But... people's
mileage does vary.

*TimDaniels*
Old January 7th 04, 06:37 AM
Timothy Daniels

"J.Clarke" wrote:

FWIW, I had occasion to upgrade my XP box today--
downloaded the latest Drive Image, installed it, hooked
up the new drive, told it to copy, was surprised that it
copied the whole boot drive right over and that after I
pulled the old drive the new one came right up. Haven't
tried _imaging_ the boot drive, but copying worked fine.

Was that Drive Image 7 or 7.01? (Version 7.01 is the
downloadable "fix" for a buggy version 7. It can also be
ordered on CD for $5 if you already bought ver 7.)

*TimDaniels*
Old January 7th 04, 07:12 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 07:21:07 GMT
"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote:

- tomcas -
Did you follow steps 1 thru 6 on pg 23 and 24?

http://maxtor.com/en/documentation/i...tion_guide.pdf

- Nehmo -
Okay, I'm going to try it.

- Nehmo -
Didn't work.
I assumed the copy from old HD to new HD I had previously done with
MaxBlast was the same as the copy it would do if I ran the program
again, so I just proceeded with the remaining steps.
I moved the jumpers to make the new drive master
I removed the jumper to make the old drive slave

I switched positions of the drives on the ATA cable to
Black {end} connector to New HD
Grey {middle} connector to Old HD

I first started without the old drive connected.
Windows XP began to start but stopped short and produced the Windows
Product Activation box saying there was a problem with WPA, error code
0x80090006 .

Did you go to Microsoft's site and plug that number into the
knowledgebase? If not, try it.

Just to make sure the disconnection of the old drive had nothing to do
with it, I tried again this time with both drives connected as
described above. The same error developed.

So I returned things back the way they we jumpers old=master,
new=slave ; ATA cable, black end to old , grey middle to new. Now
things work as befo the OS is still on the old HD.

My understanding of Win XP WPA is from http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
. When I installed XP (up form ME) on this machine, I had already
added a NIC and some RAM. Now I'm trying to add a HD. So the only
change in hardware categories is the HD. That shouldn't be enough to
trigger WPA error.

When product activation triggers it does _not_ give the message you
report.

I'll have to call Maxtor and maybe Microsoft tomorrow. It frustrates
me that these companies with global scope should have such narrow tech
support hours. The weekends and after-normal-business-hours should not
be dead time.

Microsoft however maintains a very extensive online database of problems
and solutions. It's rare that I have to call them.

It's sure taking a long time just to get a new drive in.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 7th 04, 08:06 AM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:37:03 -0800
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

"J.Clarke" wrote:

FWIW, I had occasion to upgrade my XP box today--
downloaded the latest Drive Image, installed it, hooked
up the new drive, told it to copy, was surprised that it
copied the whole boot drive right over and that after I
pulled the old drive the new one came right up. Haven't
tried _imaging_ the boot drive, but copying worked fine.

Was that Drive Image 7 or 7.01? (Version 7.01 is the
downloadable "fix" for a buggy version 7. It can also be
ordered on CD for $5 if you already bought ver 7.)

It was 7.0 I believe--the download includes the fix in a separate
directory from the ISO but I forgot to install it--thanks for reminding
me.

*TimDaniels*

Old January 7th 04, 11:56 AM
tomcas

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

tomcas wrote in
message news
Rod Speed wrote

Yeah, cloning a boot drive isnt effortless
with XP or any of the NT/2K/XP family.

I recently cloned an IBM drive under 2K using the IBM utility Disk
Manager 2000. It was relatively effortless. Not quick, but effortless.

Not as far as bashing you over the head with the fact that
the original drive needs to be physically unplugged for the
first boot after the clone of the original boot drive it isnt.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. IBM Disk Manager requires that you
simply change the master/slave jumper settings. Compared to labor of
installing an extra drive it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Thats the main thing that fangs inexperienced users on the
bum time after time after time with the NT/2K/XP family.

Old January 7th 04, 03:20 PM
Jim Walker

You do actually mean clone and not write the image file to
the USB drive dont you ? Thats one area where there is lots
of confusion with imaging programs that will also clone. They
are quite different operations and both ghost and DI can do both.

You wouldnt normally want to CLONE to a USB HD because
you wouldnt normally want to boot from that cloned drive.

Ron
I actually want to clone the HD to the external USB drive in order to
create a backup HD that I could plug into the laptop and go. This is
motivated by my thought that HDs are vulnerable on laptops. I travel with
mine in a motor home and need it for GPS navigation. I have ordered Ghost
2003 and will have it in about five days, so maybe I will be back on the NG
with questions when I try to use it. Thanks for the help.

--
Jim Walker
Northern Va

Old January 7th 04, 09:02 PM
Rod Speed

tomcas wrote in
message et...
Rod Speed wrote
tomcas wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yeah, cloning a boot drive isnt effortless
with XP or any of the NT/2K/XP family.

I recently cloned an IBM drive under 2K using the IBM utility Disk
Manager 2000. It was relatively effortless. Not quick, but effortless.

Not as far as bashing you over the head with the fact that
the original drive needs to be physically unplugged for the
first boot after the clone of the original boot drive it isnt.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

That a clone of the XP boot drive requires the original to be
UNPLUGGED from the system for the first boot after the clone,
otherwise XP gets VERY confused and you'll find that if you
dont do that, it wont boot when the original drive is formatted.

IBM Disk Manager requires that yousimply
change the master/slave jumper settings.

And just that isnt enough.

Compared to labor of installing an extra
drive it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Sure, but thats not the problem.

Old January 7th 04, 09:10 PM
Rod Speed

Jim Walker wrote in message

You do actually mean clone and not write the image file to
the USB drive dont you ? Thats one area where there is lots
of confusion with imaging programs that will also clone. They
are quite different operations and both ghost and DI can do both.

You wouldnt normally want to CLONE to a USB HD because
you wouldnt normally want to boot from that cloned drive.

I actually want to clone the HD to the external USB drive in order
to create a backup HD that I could plug into the laptop and go.
This is motivated by my thought that HDs are vulnerable on laptops.
I travel with mine in a motor home and need it for GPS navigation.

OK, in that case cloning certainly allows
a quick recovery from a hard drive failure.

I have ordered Ghost 2003 and will have it in about five days,

You could have got the free trial download immediately, but
maybe you dont have enough bandwidth for that to be viable.

It should do the job with a small risk that it wont like
the particular USB implementation. It uses dos drivers
for the USB and they arent completely bulletproof in
the sense that they always work with all USB systems.

Drive Image 2002 wont work because it does a clone
of the entire physical drive at the dos level and there
isnt any USB support at that level with DI 2002

Drive Image 7 will probably work if you boot from
the DI CD and do the clone at that level. Might
work from the Win boot too, havent tried that yet.

so maybe I will be back on the NG
with questions when I try to use it.

Its not too bad now with 2003. A few ops are a little counter
intuitive, particularly the first restore of an image file, it isnt
obvious to many just where you have to click to specify the
destination. Quite usable once you get the hang of it tho
except for setting up image file ops over a network with an
unsupported NIC. Thats rather too much for most normal users.

Old January 7th 04, 09:48 PM
Jim Walker

Ron
I will look at the Symantec site again. I didn't see the free trial
offer. I am sure that I missed it.

--
Jim Walker
Northern Va

Old January 7th 04, 11:26 PM
Robert Marshall

Actually, the DON'T have the free trialware of Ghost 2003, only the
Ghost 8.0 Corporate edition.

Robert

How to move a hard drive? Jobe General 3 March 1st 04 10:42 AM
external 56k modem-doesn't move for long time periods Jin General 0 January 7th 04 07:34 AM
[HELP] I did a wrong move... Stefano \Dr. Tofu\ Gigante Overclocking AMD Processors 0 December 10th 03 08:15 PM
Need to move HD to new computer - how? PlucknGro Homebuilt PC's 6 September 19th 03 02:44 PM
Mouse doesn't move byteryder General 3 July 5th 03 11:54 PM