OT - free news servers...?

Old February 18th 05, 11:01 AM
Christo

Default OT - free news servers...?

hi

my current news server

news.individual.net is changing to a charge service

of about £5 a year, which is peanuts, but if i can help it i would rather
stay on a free server

so can anyone tell me of any good free usenet servers that allow posting and
reading

i would e grateful for the help, i'v looked around on google alot the last 2
days and found nothing but free servers that don't allow posting or free
servers that do allow posting but dont allow reading (dunno how that works)

and a few that require you do buy a client in order to get freee usenet,
which isnt actually free really is it

i know this is OT but i couldn't think of a relevant place to post it, and
we are all using usenet then surely posting anywhere on usenet about usenet
is alright?

and im sure the people here know more about it than the people in
alt.culture.usenet to name but one.... that place is dead. no posters hardly

anyhow if anyone could help me out... cheers

Old February 18th 05, 12:47 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:01:28 -0000, "Christo"
wrote:

hi

my current news server

I looked a long time ago just for the hell of it and it was torture.
They all seemed to really suck big time. They were also really
unstable --- the lists. You would go through hundreds of listings and
find maybe 5 that worked and those you never knew when they would go
down.

People have mentioned Teranews but they charge a one time 4.95 fee I
think.
Ive never tried them.

Old February 18th 05, 01:54 PM
Zotin Khuma

"Christo" wrote in message
hi

my current news server

news.individual.net is changing to a charge service
of about £5 a year, which is peanuts, but if i can help it i would rather
stay on a free server

so can anyone tell me of any good free usenet servers that allow posting

and
reading

Aarrrgh ! This comes as a shock to me. I posted a similar
request in this very newsgroup a few months ago because
my ISP's newsserver is totally unreliable. I believe it was
you and someone else who pointed me to news.individual.net.

I registered there and have found it very reliable. In fact,
it was only last night that I thought I'd send you an email
or post here to thank you.

The one-time registration fee is not much but for people
in locations like mine, the process of sending it can be
a big hassle.

Old February 18th 05, 02:09 PM
Zotin Khuma

"Zotin Khuma" wrote in message

"Christo" wrote in message
hi

my current news server
news.individual.net is changing to a charge service
of about £5 a year, which is peanuts, but if i can help it i would

rather
stay on a free server

......[snip]......

The one-time registration fee is not much but for people
in locations like mine, the process of sending it can be
a big hassle.

Correction. 5UKP a year and not one-time ? Then that
definitely leaves me out.

Old February 18th 05, 02:51 PM
Christo

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

yeap i think individual have been getting some abuse from people just
signing up, shame that their charging 10 euros for a year now, i been using
them forr agges and agges well about a year and a half when i moved from
freeserve (now wannadoo) to BT broadband, freeserves news server was in
accessible without a freeserve account... too bad huh

Im thinking of just paying the fee for individual and keeping my existing
account, it isnt much... but their based in germany aren't they? so ill have
to pay a conversion fee wont i for pounds into euros, i think individual was
the only free news server that had any decency, like

john smith said i searched for hours and hours and never found any that were
reputable to the standard of individual.

Thanks for replying anyhoo

hope people on individual manage to find a server, i think.

and john smith cheers for terra news i had checked them out, they seem
reasonable.

only a one time setup fee may be better than a yearly fee

Thanks again

Christo

Old February 18th 05, 08:02 PM
Vanguard

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

Use newzbot.com to find a free NNTP server that carries the newsgroup in
which you are interested. Since they are free, they are often
throttled, may disappear, or are unreliable.

Since you aren't doing binaries (because you were using individual.net
that didn't used to carry them when they were a free provider), a
one-time $3.95 USD charge (and free thereafter) for Teranews with a
50MB/day quota should be sufficient for you.

! Get FREE Sony VAIO, iPod, Xbox, PlayStation, or Cell Phone when you spend $40..!! Seca Overclocking 0 October 6th 04 10:55 PM
! Get FREE Sony VAIO, iPod, Xbox, PlayStation, or Cell Phone when you spend $40..!! Seca General 0 October 6th 04 10:55 PM
Freedom: Coming to a Windows Box Near You Ablang General 0 June 30th 04 03:04 AM
Free Support Forums Askhow.net General 0 January 12th 04 11:13 PM
Free Support forums various categories. Askhow.net General 0 January 12th 04 07:12 PM