Quality, Budget CD Writer

Old September 12th 03, 06:42 PM
Steevo

Default Quality, Budget CD Writer

Can anyone suggest a a fairly good quality cd writer available in the UK for
quite a low price? I had been thinking about buying a DVD writer to replace
my recently deceased 4x sony cd writer although at the moment they're still
a little expensive and imo they will stay that way until formats are
finalised. As a result I think i now want a cd writer that will get me by
(and hopefully last a fair while) until dvd writers become more affordable.

Many Thanks

Old September 12th 03, 11:13 PM
YanquiDawg

Lite-on brand are the best budget CD/RW's bar none.

Old September 13th 03, 05:17 PM
Steevo

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Lite-on brand are the best budget CD/RW's bar none.

Thanks for the advice, have just found two very nice budget drives but
cannot make up my mind. The Sony
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._rvi_6/026-151
9329-7221228 is a slower drive for RW and a bit more expensive although the
Sony brand makes me think it might be a bit more reliable(?). The Lite-on
(Thanks 4 the suggestion, YanquiDawg!) on the other hand is faster and
cheaper. Which is the better bet?

Many Thanks

Old September 13th 03, 05:20 PM
Steevo

Forgot Lite-on link, here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._rvi_1/026-151
9329-7221228

Many thanks

Old September 13th 03, 05:28 PM
mcr

Steevo wrote:

Snip

Thanks for the advice, have just found two very nice budget drives but
cannot make up my mind. The Sony
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._rvi_6/026-151
9329-7221228 is a slower drive for RW and a bit more expensive although the
Sony brand makes me think it might be a bit more reliable(?). The Lite-on
(Thanks 4 the suggestion, YanquiDawg!) on the other hand is faster and
cheaper. Which is the better bet?

Many Thanks

I have a Lite-On 32x/12x/48x and I think its one of the best CDR's I've
ever owned. Personally, I'd go for one of theirs every time.

-
MCR - MAME, History In The Making
Want ftp access? get details at http://www.mcrs.no-ip.org
or email mcr at lazarus.org.uk - Full 0.73 set verified
and needed sooners, All testdrivers (except 3 missing)

Old September 14th 03, 05:49 AM
kony

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:20:59 +0100, "Steevo"
wrote:

Forgot Lite-on link, here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._rvi_1/026-151
9329-7221228

Many thanks

The Sony and the Liteon are the same drive.
Sony relabels lite-on drives and uses a slightly rounded faceplate.
They also always use (AFAIK) an uncommon burning software though I
forget the name of it.

IMHO, the sony drive has a more attractive faceplate but if you don't
already have the retail version of Nero you should get the Lite-on
since it comes with Nero.

Dave
Old September 14th 03, 08:25 AM
kony

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:49:04 GMT, kony wrote:

The Sony and the Liteon are the same drive.

Err, same drive except as you mention, different "model", still both
Lite-On drives (which technically speaking may still be the same drive
but with a firmware that throttles back the slower one.

Dave
Old September 14th 03, 08:48 PM
Zilog Jones

"Steevo" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a a fairly good quality cd writer available in the UK

for
quite a low price? I had been thinking about buying a DVD writer to

replace
my recently deceased 4x sony cd writer although at the moment they're

still
a little expensive and imo they will stay that way until formats are
finalised. As a result I think i now want a cd writer that will get me by
(and hopefully last a fair while) until dvd writers become more

affordable.

(May I add DVD burners are still VERY SLOW too, so I think you should wait)

I recommend the ASUS CRW-5224A (about £30-40) - 52x read, 24x RW, 52x write.
I've had no problems with it so far, no real problems with any CDs I've
burnt so far - just don't excpect older drives/CD players to read CDs burnt
at 48/52x as they're never gonna be totally error-free, but that's the same
with similar ultra-speed drives these days. It also comes with Nero
Express - not the full Nero, but easy-to-use and with all the usual
features.

It also works fine on my really crappy (Celeron 366!) PC.

--
Zilog Jones