AIW 9800 and windows XP desktop icons

Old November 19th 03, 05:49 PM
Justin

Default AIW 9800 and windows XP desktop icons

Maybe somebody here can help me since the support on ATI's site is laughably
bad. In fact, the lack of decent support or readily available contact
information on their site combined with the fact that you only get 30 days
of free phone support has been enough to convince me not to purchase another
ATI video card, despite the fact that I would consider myself a loyal ATI
customer, owning both an AIW Radeon 9800 Pro and AIW Radeon 8500 Pro.
Customer/technical support means very much to me, and on principal I will
not deal with a company that does not provide adequate support, just as I
will take my business to companies that do. Luckily for ATI, I never had
reason to seek support with my 8500. Ok, sorry about the ranting, but I
just had to get that out of my system.

So, on to my problem. Perhaps this is a simple problem, but I have not been
able to find a solution for it. In fact, I am not certain the problem is a
graphics card problem, but that's my best guess at the moment as I have
checked and unchecked virtually all options that I think could possibly be
the problem inside Windows XP. Anyway, my problem is that when I move icons
around in Windows XP, the icons do not show up under my cursor while moving.
They will simply suddenly appear in their new positions once the mouse
cursor is released. This is an extremely frustrating issue to me. As I
said, I have checked and unchecked virtually every display option in XP that
I thought might affect this issue, but to no avail. Furthermore, I tried
upgrading to the latest Catalyst drivers this morning, but again the problem
was not resolved. I've never seen this problem before, and am not
experiencing it on my other PC with an AIW 8500 running the exact same
drivers, but that is of course, not the same hardware setup. The reason
that I believe the problem is a hardware or driver issue is due to the fact
that I have mirrored virtuatlly every XP display option (options such as
"Display window contents while dragging") that I could think of between the
two computers.

Anyway, some pertinent information about my computer:
Dell Dimension 8300
P4 2.6 GHz
768 MB PC3200 (2 x 256 Corsair Value Select, 2 x 128 Dell OEM RAM)
AIW Radeon 9800
and a bunch of other stuff that I shouldn't think would make a difference
for this problem

Thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide. I've had this computer
for almost a month now and still have been unable to resolve this issue.
(With no help from ATI, I might add, although that is due to the fact that I
have not yet registered my card becuase I don't want to open the case just
to get the damn P/N number.)

- Justin
--
Remove the pin to email me

Old November 19th 03, 05:56 PM
Justin

D'oh. Forgot to add that I'm running Windows XP SP 1

Old November 20th 03, 12:20 AM
Crusher

The problem is not your card. A friend of mine had this problem a few months
back. It was either a virus

or adware (I can't remember which). You need to update your anti-virus

definitions and run Spybot or Ad-aware. That will fix it.

Old November 20th 03, 01:01 AM
John Fischer

FWIW,

I have an AIW9800 on Windows XP SP1, and have no such issues. When I
click and drag an icon on the desktop, it goes semi-transparent until
I let go of it, but I can certainly see it while moving.

P4-3.0GHz, 800 FSB, 1GB RAM, Intel 865PERL motherboard.
Old November 20th 03, 01:13 PM

excuse me, but you have the exact system I'm putting together:
P4@3Ghz, Hyperthread, D865PERL mobo. Are you using SATA drives in RAID
0? I have a few questions on setting up RAID and updating chipset
drivers. Do you mind a few questions?