Voltage of extra current when using Duron 1.8 compared to 1.6?

Old July 18th 05, 04:55 PM
Sammy-Jo

Default Voltage of extra current when using Duron 1.8 compared to 1.6?

I looking to use a 1800 MHz Duron rather than 1600 MHz Duron.

The PSU is fairly good but not particularly powerful, so I want to be
careful that it can supply enough power for the processor.

The specs say that the "Typical Power Dissipation" for the 1.6 Duron
is 48 W and for the 1.8 Duron it is 53 W.

QUESTION: Can someone tell me at what voltage is the current for the
extra 5 W power going be drawn from the PSU? Is it 12 V?

Franklin

PS. The specs also say:
"Maximum Core Amperage" of each processor is 38 Amps and the
"Max Power Disssipation" of each processor is 58 W.

Old July 19th 05, 03:22 PM
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"Sammy-Jo" wrote in message
"Sammy-Jo" wrote in message

I am looking to use a 1800 MHz Duron rather than 1600 MHz
Duron.

The PSU is fairly good but not particularly powerful, so
I want to be careful that it can supply enough power for
the processor.

The specs say that the "Typical Power Dissipation" for
the 1.6 Duron is 48 W and for the 1.8 Duron it is 53 W.

QUESTION: Can someone tell me at what voltage is the
current for the extra 5 W power going be drawn from the
PSU? Is it 12V?

Postscript. The specs also say:

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 19:21:39, John Smith wrote:

Depends what board but usually on socket A boards its the 5v
line

Smiffy

Weird. Can I double check with you to make sure of what you are
saying about the extra power being needed on the 5V line.

I have read the theory but I have no practical experience of this and
wanted to know of someone who had actually checked it out in real
life.

------

You should be more concerned as to whether or not your motherboard will
support the faster chip. There are other more important considerations,
such as bus timing, memory, BIOS, and peripherals. If the MoBo supports
the faster chip, then the power usage is not one of the more important
considerations; it will be taken care of by the onboard Dc-Dc
converters.

Old July 19th 05, 05:41 PM
John Smith

Hi
No,same as the Duron 1600,in fact there is so little difference between
the two in terms of current reqs that its not worth worrying about.
What motherboard do you have?
Smiffy

There's definitely no problem at all with the mobo's support. And
power usage, as you rightly say, will be handled by onboard
electronics.

OTOH my concern is the power consumption and question of what is
drawn from the PSU: does the Duron 1800 draw its extra current at
12V (or what volatge) when compared to the Duron 1600?

Old July 19th 05, 08:38 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:03:50 +0100, Sammy-Jo wrote:

OTOH my concern is the power consumption and question of what is
drawn from the PSU: does the Duron 1800 draw its extra current at
12V (or what volatge) when compared to the Duron 1600?

The CPU draws it's power form the MB. Where the MB gets its power for the
cpu will depend on which MB you have. IOW's the Mb Takes power from the
PSU and converts it to the power required for the cpu, which I think is
2.5v for vccca. vcore for the 1800 Duron will be between 1.6v and 1.65v.

Old July 20th 05, 01:52 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Your M/B has many power supply connectors,3 X 3.3 V,4 X 5 V,12 V,-12V,-5V, 6
X GND if it is a standard ATX and another connector with two 12V wires if it
is a P4 one.To really find out which wire carries a higher current, you have
to use an ammeter.None of the compontents are supplied by the switching PSU
outs AFAIK, on board stabilizers with quite many capacitors filter out the
ripple.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
"Sammy-Jo" wrote in message

[...]

I read that the fast Durons (Applebreds) are like Thoroughbred B
Athlons. See http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-xp-e.html#a-bred

The cpu entry at the bottom of page 7 of this document suggests that
the voltage is 12V.
http://www.amd.com/us-
en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

Also this web page http://takaman.jp/D/?english suggests that
different power *Athlons* vary by the amount of 12V they use.