New chip watercooling technology! Hope it's implemented fast

Old July 13th 05, 12:48 AM
rms

Default New chip watercooling technology! Hope it's implemented fast

New chip cooling technology: this looks like a very simple mod for today's
waterblock manufacturers, hope we see it implemented fast:
URL:http://83.219.63.174/Articles/291380...bbles+heat.htm

rms

Old July 13th 05, 01:22 AM
Ed Light

"rms" wrote in message
.. .
New chip cooling technology: this looks like a very simple mod for
today's waterblock manufacturers, hope we see it implemented fast:
URL:http://83.219.63.174/Articles/291380...bbles+heat.htm

Since it's spraying directly on the chip, and the spray is moving towards a
"drain," it might not be so easy to adapt to our pc's.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 13th 05, 02:04 AM
YKhan

Quote:
Since it's spraying directly on the chip, and the spray is
moving towards a
"drain," it might not be so easy to adapt to our pc's.
We don't know how fast these droplets are moving. They might be moving
so fast that gravity direction doesn't matter in the short distances
that it travels from source to drain.

Yousuf Khan

Old July 13th 05, 03:26 AM
Ed Light

"YKhan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Quote:
Since it's spraying directly on the chip, and the spray is
moving towards a
"drain," it might not be so easy to adapt to our pc's.

We don't know how fast these droplets are moving. They might be moving
so fast that gravity direction doesn't matter in the short distances
that it travels from source to drain.

Yousuf Khan

Then as long as they got a good seal around the edges it would be ok. It
would take some very hi-temp rubber or something.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 13th 05, 05:20 PM
YKhan

Also I don't think they're using water in this case, it's some kind of
liquid "that is safe on electronic circuits".

Old July 13th 05, 06:06 PM
rms

Also I don't think they're using water in this case, it's some kind of
liquid "that is safe on electronic circuits".

Yes, probably Freon or somesuch that boils on contact. Still the basic
idea of jets that do not interfere with flow from adjacent jets is certainly
worth persuing in standard watercooling.

rms

Old July 14th 05, 05:11 PM
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"rms" wrote in message
. ..
Also I don't think they're using water in this case, it's some kind of
liquid "that is safe on electronic circuits".

Yes, probably Freon or somesuch that boils on contact. Still the
basic idea of jets that do not interfere with flow from adjacent jets is
certainly worth persuing in standard watercooling.

rms

OOPS, sorry;

The flow technique could be an improvement in water systems.
It would be interesting to see how it would compare to a diamond
pin setup. Another factor that could work in its favor, are the
CPU chips with integrated metal "heatspreaders".

One thing that struck me reading the article was how with the
right fluid wouldn't this improve the heatpipe approach? Sorta,
an active pumped heatpipe; a heatpipe with more power, grunt
grunt.

Luck;
Ken

Old July 15th 05, 01:34 AM
keith

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:11:58 -0500, Ken Maltby wrote:

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"rms" wrote in message
. ..
Also I don't think they're using water in this case, it's some kind of
liquid "that is safe on electronic circuits".

Yes, probably Freon or somesuch that boils on contact. Still the
basic idea of jets that do not interfere with flow from adjacent jets is
certainly worth persuing in standard watercooling.

rms

OOPS, sorry;

The flow technique could be an improvement in water systems.

I doubt it.

It would be interesting to see how it would compare to a diamond
pin setup. Another factor that could work in its favor, are the
CPU chips with integrated metal "heatspreaders".

Whether the "heat-spreader" is on the processor or on the heatsink only
matters as far as the thermal conductivity between the ship and said
spreader. The idea is to get the heat away from the chip, As Uncle
Felger says, "the first mile" is what matters.

One thing that struck me reading the article was how with the
right fluid wouldn't this improve the heatpipe approach? Sorta, an
active pumped heatpipe; a heatpipe with more power, grunt grunt.

Why would it? ...and does it matter?

--
Keith