SAN project

Old June 18th 05, 11:43 AM
Konik

Default SAN project

Hello,
I plan to improve backup/storage system in my company's environment. We have
over 20 dell servers, including blade 1855, a scsi PV-220S connected to one
of them and PV-130T tape library for backup (LAN backup). We use arcserve
v.9 . Now I want to create central storage for about 4-10+ server and backup
them over the SAN. Probably we choose EMC CX-300 for storage (15x146GB) or
IBM Fast600/DS4300 and Adic Scalar 100/IBM 3583/Dell PV-136T or StorageTek
SL500. We also think about upgrading Arcserve to v.11 or changing to Veritas
backupexec v.10 or... Legato networker/TSM. In future I want to build system
for Exchange db archiving (not backup). I know that Legato and TSM have HSM
solution, perhaps they will be the best choices... But there could be a
better solution. What do you think about this project? I'm beginner in SAN
networks, any hints will be welcome.

--
Bartek

Old June 18th 05, 02:59 PM
mf

For starters, TSM is an IBM product - not a Legato/EMC product. Other
than mentioning Exchange, you gave us no information about your
environment, such as number of users and the systems and applications
environment. That makes it somewhat difficult to respond to your
inquiry.

If Arcserve has been serving you well, why change? An upgrade might
make sense to get new features, but it is probably easier than learning
a whole new backup method. If there is some reason why you don't think
Arcserve can work, I would add Commvault to your list of backup vendors
- and there are several others that may be appropriate (Atempo, Bakbone
and Yosemite are 3 I can think of off the top of my head). Backup is
very important because you do it every day and it has to work properly
(or rather: you have to make it work properly). Find a system that you
can operate and configure. Some may have specialized Exchange
archiving modules and some may not. Just because it has an integrated
Exchange module does not necessarily mean it is the best product for
you (and it might be just what you need, too). One thing to consider
is how often you expect end users to restore files or Exchage data. If
you want to offload admin work and let users restore their own data,
then look for products that provide that function and try to assess how
well they will work with your users. There are several companies
working in the area of Exchange - I apologize to everybody I'm leaving
out here, but two start ups to consider are Mimosa and FilesX. These
products will work alongside you rexisting backup software.

My advice is to broaden your perspective on storage a bit also, if you
can afford the time and resources. Look into iSCSI to see if it might
work for you. Three relatively new, but qualified storage vendors to be
aware of in that space are Equallogic, Left Hand and SANRAD. The
number of happy customers in the iSCSI camp is growing very rapidly -
understand that iSCSI is not just for backup or secondary storage as
some people might suggest. No matter what kind of storage you end up
buying, you must consider the scalability of the products you select.
This is where you can save a lot of money over the years and
significantly relax your operations. A virtualization strategy may be
too much to think about, but you need to understand and compare the
virtualization features of the products you are considering.

Finally, I would also recommend expanding your list of products to
include SAN storage management products. Again if Arcserve works for
you, CA also sells an excellent SRM product (I believe it is amazingly
under-rated). IBM and EMC have excellent tools in this area. There
are other good companies too such as APPIQ.

You have a lot to think about, but its really important stuff to get
right. The ROI can be excellent - so its worth the effort. Best
Wishes.

Konik wrote:
[...]

Please send me your opinion about my project as placed on inforelation4 UK Computer Vendors 0 December 2nd 04 09:04 AM
Help Finding a Good eCommerce and Project Book Randy Jacoby Webcams 0 December 1st 04 09:15 AM
New cooling project... TheShiverer Overclocking 2 September 9th 04 03:04 AM
Salvage Server Project Ablang General 0 July 27th 04 02:30 AM
Want Project Assistants Near San Jose qilan General Hardware 0 November 11th 03 06:37 AM