What's the dead pixel frequency for TFT monitors?

Old September 14th 03, 10:54 PM
John123

Default What's the dead pixel frequency for TFT monitors?

Hi!

I wonder what the avarage risk of getting a TFT monitor with one or more
dead pixels is. From what I've heard, no manufacturer is willing to exchange
a TFT monitor if only 1-3 or less pixels are dead. This has made me a bit
sceptical to buying one. However, if the risk of getting such a dead pixel
monitor is low, I figure it might be worth taking the risk anyway.

So is it approximately a 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50 percent risk of getting a 17"
monitor with this fault?

Old September 15th 03, 12:13 AM
dh

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:54:17 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Hi!

I wonder what the avarage risk of getting a TFT monitor with one or more
dead pixels is. From what I've heard, no manufacturer is willing to exchange
a TFT monitor if only 1-3 or less pixels are dead. This has made me a bit
sceptical to buying one. However, if the risk of getting such a dead pixel
monitor is low, I figure it might be worth taking the risk anyway.

So is it approximately a 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50 percent risk of getting a 17"
monitor with this fault?

For me it has been 0 out of 3 monitors, all Samsung.
Old September 15th 03, 12:31 AM
Daniel Yates

I have 1 dead pixel on my Samsung 15"TFT and to be honest it was there for 4
months before anyone else noticed it. Unless dead pixels are clustered
together you will not notice them.

Regards

Daniel Yates

Old September 15th 03, 02:43 AM
dh

Stuck off maybe but a stuck on one sure is easy to notice.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:31:48 +0100, "Daniel Yates"
wrote:

I have 1 dead pixel on my Samsung 15"TFT and to be honest it was there for 4
months before anyone else noticed it. Unless dead pixels are clustered
together you will not notice them.

Regards

Daniel Yates

.. .

Old September 15th 03, 03:25 AM
Bishoop

"dh" wrote in message
| Stuck off maybe but a stuck on one sure is easy to notice.
|

| On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:31:48 +0100, "Daniel Yates"
| wrote:
|
| I have 1 dead pixel on my Samsung 15"TFT and to be honest it was there
for 4
| months before anyone else noticed it. Unless dead pixels are clustered
| together you will not notice them.
|
| Regards
|
| Daniel Yates
|
| "dh" wrote in message
| .. .
| On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:54:17 GMT, "John123" wrote:
|
| Hi!
|
| I wonder what the avarage risk of getting a TFT monitor with one or
more
| dead pixels is. From what I've heard, no manufacturer is willing to
| exchange
| a TFT monitor if only 1-3 or less pixels are dead. This has made me a
bit
| sceptical to buying one. However, if the risk of getting such a dead
| pixel
| monitor is low, I figure it might be worth taking the risk anyway.
|
| So is it approximately a 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50 percent risk of getting a
17"
| monitor with this fault?
|
| For me it has been 0 out of 3 monitors, all Samsung.

I have a Samsung 17" with a "stuck on" red subpixel and the only time I see
it is on a black screen.

Old September 15th 03, 04:00 AM
Dave Hull

Here is an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/index.html

Dave

Old September 15th 03, 08:54 AM
Daniel Yates

"Bishoop" wrote in message

"dh" wrote in message
| Stuck off maybe but a stuck on one sure is easy to notice.
|

| On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:31:48 +0100, "Daniel Yates"
| wrote:
|
| I have 1 dead pixel on my Samsung 15"TFT and to be honest it was there
for 4
| months before anyone else noticed it. Unless dead pixels are clustered
| together you will not notice them.
|
| Regards
|
| Daniel Yates
|
| "dh" wrote in message
| .. .
| On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:54:17 GMT, "John123" wrote:
|
| Hi!
|
| I wonder what the avarage risk of getting a TFT monitor with one or
more
| dead pixels is. From what I've heard, no manufacturer is willing to
| exchange
| a TFT monitor if only 1-3 or less pixels are dead. This has made me

bit
| sceptical to buying one. However, if the risk of getting such a dead
| pixel
| monitor is low, I figure it might be worth taking the risk anyway.
|
| So is it approximately a 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50 percent risk of getting

17"
| monitor with this fault?
|
| For me it has been 0 out of 3 monitors, all Samsung.

I have a Samsung 17" with a "stuck on" red subpixel and the only time I

see
it is on a black screen.

The one dead pixel I have is also red on black backgrounds. With outlook
open it is looking al ittle blue.

Daniel

Old September 15th 03, 07:21 PM
John123

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:54:17 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Hi!

I wonder what the avarage risk of getting a TFT monitor with one or more
dead pixels is. From what I've heard, no manufacturer is willing to

exchange
a TFT monitor if only 1-3 or less pixels are dead. This has made me a bit
sceptical to buying one. However, if the risk of getting such a dead

pixel
monitor is low, I figure it might be worth taking the risk anyway.

So is it approximately a 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50 percent risk of getting a 17"
monitor with this fault?

For me it has been 0 out of 3 monitors, all Samsung.

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, however it's much to little to
base a statistical view on. Knowing that one guy has a monitor with one dead
pixel, and another guy has one without any dead pixels don't do much good.

Is there really no statistical info available on this subject. I want to
know what the avarage risk of getting a monitor with one or more dead pixels
are - someone please help!

Old September 15th 03, 07:29 PM
Daniel Yates

"John123" wrote in message
ws.com...
[...]

On that basis you will have to take your chances. There are no statistics on
% chances of dead pixels, as it is what you could term a random event for
the most part. There are a couople of companies I have seen in the past that
offer a guarentee that there will be no dead pixels. But all they do is
offer free return and replacement if you do get one - they dont do anything
different on the manufacturing level.

The industry standard is 6 dead pixels or less, that is the best your gonna
get as far as statistics go i'm afraid.

Daniel

Old September 16th 03, 03:50 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Daniel Yates wrote:

"John123" wrote in message
ews.com...
[...]

Since it's a crap shoot, deal with a manufacturer, or dealer whose
terms you find acceptable. Look at the warrantee information and see
if they cover dead pixels.

--
Al Dykes

identifying dead pixels Christo General 2 January 29th 05 03:24 AM
Dead Pixel Guarantee Chris General 15 September 16th 04 12:15 AM
notebook - defective pixel? salty_dogs General 3 March 30th 04 02:18 AM