InCD vs DirectCD

Old September 30th 04, 03:36 AM
OldFartJAC

Ditto, forget packet writing. Why bother when you can just use multisession
as Dan said and just keep adding to the CD until it's full. I have been
doing it this way for years, simple and easy and reliable.
"Dan G" wrote in message
There's no such thing as "reliable" packet writing. Get familiar with
multisession burning and forget them both.

"Jim" wrote in message
Curious which is the most reliable? Using DirectCD it seems I often
get warnings about data corruption. Usually after 10-20 cycles.

Old September 30th 04, 05:50 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

OldFartJAC wrote:

"Dan G" wrote:

"Jim" wrote:
Curious which is the most reliable? Using DirectCD it seems I often
get warnings about data corruption. Usually after 10-20 cycles.

There's no such thing as "reliable" packet writing.

Ditto, forget packet writing.

Even when packet writing MUST be used for Take Two, supposedly a backup
software, to work IDEALLY?

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Date: 9/1/99

For Take Two to work IDEALLY, your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.
=======================
Old September 30th 04, 06:14 AM
Mike Richter

Jim wrote:
Curious which is the most reliable? Using DirectCD it seems I often
get warnings about data corruption. Usually after 10-20 cycles.

InCD writes only fixed-length packets - to erasables. DirectCD writes
both fixed- and variable-length. Variable-length packets are well
behaved and reliable. Fixed-length are more susceptible to failure than
reusing erasables by mastering each time. That's because each time you
modify a fixed-length packet disc and eject it, the directory must be
rewritten. That means extra erase cycles, which is where the erasable fails.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that DCD may be a bit better than InCD on
erasables, but the primary weakness is the medium itself and the fact
that the process fails catastrophically if you exit the OS (e.g.,
Windows crashes) when a disc is in the drive after being modified.

The consensus is: stay away from fixed-length packets. If you want
variable-length, DCD is the program of choice between the two. (There
are others, but they've not proved popular and I have no experience with
them.)

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99

For Take Two to work IDEALLY, your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.
=======================

That's why:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 4/18/03

There is no separate DCD product any longer;
it was integrated with ECDC when TakeTwo made that necessary.
======================

And:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/t2/t2vhist.html#1.02+
"Because of the tight coupling of Take Two and DirectCD ..."

Take Two is supposed to be a BACKUP software, yet it's "tightly coupled"
to the supposedly flaky, unreliable, etc., packet writing!
Old September 30th 04, 10:34 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that DCD may be a bit better than InCD

Is that why Roxio fired the ENTIRE directcd team -- as a reward for
making a bit better software?

=================================
From: Adrian Miller (ex-Roxio)
Date: 1/8/02

Roxio also fired
the entire DCD development team.
================================
Old September 30th 04, 10:38 AM
Howard Kaikow

DirectCD (actually it's successor Direct To Disk), last I checked, had
better error handling than InCD.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old September 30th 04, 11:36 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

each time you
modify a fixed-length packet disc and eject it, the directory must be
rewritten. That means extra erase cycles, which is where the erasable fails.

Are CD-RW's unusable after written once? Twice?

the process fails catastrophically if you exit the OS (e.g.,
Windows crashes) when a disc is in the drive after being modified.

Conveniently forgot to say why that is so, Mikey?
(Have you been peeping?)

When you write to the disc, the data are recorded immediately
but the directory is updated only in RAM.

The problem is that the information cannot be written back every
time or the directory area would be worn out very quickly.

But the consequencies a

the process fails catastrophically if you exit the OS

you can lose the directory if you have a failure.
That failure can be a power transient or a system lockup

Yet the directory information is held in RAM -- just to extend the life
of CD-RW media!

Somebody said these:

if the brokerage data aren't worth 20-40 cents for the disc,
why do you bother with them?

my data are worth more than the pittance a write-once blank costs

Guess, Roxio considers users' data are not worth more than a CD-RW!!

--------------------------------------

Old September 30th 04, 11:38 AM
Jim

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:36:57 -0700, "OldFartJAC"
wrote:

Ditto, forget packet writing. Why bother when you can just use multisession
as Dan said and just keep adding to the CD until it's full. I have been
doing it this way for years, simple and easy and reliable.

Perhaps because I expect problems will surface trying to save files of
the exact same name. Instead of one time archiving, which I do to
CD-R, this is progressive incremental saving of data files where the
data changed since a former backup was done.
Old September 30th 04, 11:51 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Howard Kaikow (w/ Leaky Assholes) splashed:

DirectCD (actually it's successor Direct To Disk), last I checked, had
better error handling than InCD.

It sure does. Why it even amazingly find unreliable sectors that
developed in only 5 minutes!

===============================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back. A full format on a new CDRW
is OK. This never happened with EasyCD 5.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that
as well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg.

Surly CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

Also from your statement

"If you insist on using fixed-length packets,
you ask for that as well as losing data"

are you suggesting that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is
unreliable and should not be used ?

If so why does Easy Cd 6 have this software and say how easy it is
to use. Now I am very puzzled.
===============================
Old September 30th 04, 12:24 PM
smh

From: "Tony Whitaker"
Subject: Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Makes Me Very Angry
Date: 5/3/04

BTW, I uninstalled EMC7 last night after it crashed my system
when I tried the "Drag to Disc" CD burning tool.

Did I mention I'm really, really, REALLY PO'd that I paid $100
for this program?.