Data backup on CD-R: Symantec Noroton Ghost, Ahead Nero, Arrowkey AccuBurn-R

Old September 28th 03, 10:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Got no time to respond to this, Timmy?
Feeling no pain, Timmy?

=======================
From: Mike DHaire
Subject: Easy CD Creator's Timestamp Problem on Windows 2000/XP
Date: 3/29/03

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

I'd assume other issues take precedence;
not much of a bug IMO anyway...

How 'bout I nab your penis and smash it with a hammer, mother****er!
LOL !!! LOL !!! LOL !!!
=======================

ROTFL !!! ROTFL !!! ROTFL !!!
Old September 28th 03, 10:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Have you proved ANY of the following is a libel, Timmy?

Come on, Timmy. Stop pussyfooting and buffooning around. After all,
Mikey is pitifully, desperately counting on you.

(Don't forget to ask Mikey for the examples of supposed misquotes.)

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing
Old September 29th 03, 07:13 AM
Avi Nahir

Latest update: Bought AccuBurn-R and used it for same test material.
Four observations:

1. Burning the 370MB, 3836 data set took 70 minutes, compared to 3 in
Nero!
2. Had problems with foreign (Hebrew) file & directory names.
3. On 6 disks burnt through Nero from this batch (BenQ), Nero's CD
Speed ScanDisk returned a few "Damaged" and usually one "Unreadable"
at the end of the data. On the disk burnt using AccuBurn-R, ScanDisk
returned a few "Damaged" and usually many "Unreadable"!!!
4. CDCheck found no error in the comparison! This is a huge surprise
because running CDCheck on the Nero disks:
A) CDCheck reported many (file exist here with no corresponding file
there...) errors because lots of file names were truncated and CDCheck
was not able to correlate the burnt files with truncated names to the
originals.
B) There were many internal CDCheck software errors!?!

Go figure. I really don't know what to do. The 20X increase in burning
time together with the multitude of errors reported by ScanDisk make
we wonder.

Avi
Old September 29th 03, 08:45 AM
smh

Avi Nahir wrote:

[...]

Try these?

NovaBACKUP
http://www.no-panic.com/backup/n_backup.html

BackUp MyPC (formerly Seagate/Veritas Backup Exec Desktop)
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp

NTI Backup Now
http://www.ntibackupnow.com/default.asp

HandyBackup
http://www.handybackup.com

Retrospect Express
http://www.dantz.com/
Old October 1st 03, 08:54 AM
Avi Nahir

Thank you for the effort and for the links. At least one of them
seemed nice and inexpensive.

I think, however, that the problem of managing what should be written
to backup is solved for me: I'm either going to use Microsoft backup,
Winzip or I'll just Ghost whole partitions.

My issue is elsewhe I KNOW what to write to the CD-R but I have
problems actually BURNING it:

1) Nero Express 5.5 appears to have errors writing to the disk: its
ScanDisk (almost) always returns one red block at the end of the data
during surface scan (and sometimes also yellow blocks inside the data
area).

2) ArrowKey's AccuBurn-R seems to take forever writing the data.
Moreover, Nero's ScanDisk reports LOTS of "yellow and red" errors on
the burnt disk! (even though it seems that there are no errors while
actually reading the data).
Old October 1st 03, 11:51 AM
smh

Avi Nahir wrote:

Thank you for the effort and for the links. At least one of them
seemed nice and inexpensive.

I think, however, that the problem of managing what should be written
to backup is solved for me: I'm either going to use Microsoft backup,
Winzip or I'll just Ghost whole partitions.

My issue is elsewhe I KNOW what to write to the CD-R but I have
problems actually BURNING it:

1) Nero Express 5.5 appears to have errors writing to the disk: its
ScanDisk (almost) always returns one red block at the end of the data
during surface scan (and sometimes also yellow blocks inside the data
area).

The one red block at the end of track (session) is "normal" as far as I
can tell. And it shows up only after the first and only session. If
you burn another session, the red block disappears, and no red block
appears at the end of the second track.

But the yellow blocks are a different matter, however. You do not want
those. Try different brand of discs and slower burn speed.

2) ArrowKey's AccuBurn-R seems to take forever writing the data.
Moreover, Nero's ScanDisk reports LOTS of "yellow and red" errors on
the burnt disk! (even though it seems that there are no errors while
actually reading the data).

Something's not right. As I said earlier, you do not want any yellow
blocks and only one red block at the end of the first track (session).
Old October 4th 03, 10:09 AM
Camper

"Avi Nahir" wrote in message
om...
Thank you for the effort and for the links. At least one of them
seemed nice and inexpensive.

I think, however, that the problem of managing what should be written
to backup is solved for me: I'm either going to use Microsoft backup,
Winzip or I'll just Ghost whole partitions.

My issue is elsewhe I KNOW what to write to the CD-R but I have
problems actually BURNING it:

1) Nero Express 5.5 appears to have errors writing to the disk: its
ScanDisk (almost) always returns one red block at the end of the data
during surface scan (and sometimes also yellow blocks inside the data
area).

The red block at the end of the disk is not a problem if you have left the
disc open and therefore can write another session. Scandisc just gets
confused if the disc is open.