information on amd64 3200+ file slow file deletion

Old January 22nd 05, 08:32 PM
JD

Default information on amd64 3200+ file slow file deletion

Hi I have just purchased an amd64 3200+ . My problem is when i want to
delete a large folder the system hangs and take a very long time to delete.
I have 3 disks 200gb 160gb and 80gb on the raid controller.. any ideas..

Old January 22nd 05, 10:03 PM
General Schvantzkoph

"JD" wrote in message
Hi I have just purchased an amd64 3200+ . My problem is when i want to
delete a large folder the system hangs and take a very long time to
delete. I have 3 disks 200gb 160gb and 80gb on the raid controller.. any
ideas..

I don't see how this has anything to do with the processor. The processor
is plenty fast, even if it's running in low power mode, and you have more
than enough RAM. Your problem is with Windows. You should post your
question to an XP group, they should be able to help you.
Old January 23rd 05, 06:01 AM
JD

ok thanks its just before I upgraded I didn't have this problem so I thought
it may of been a compatibility issue with winxp 32bit and the 64bit
processor

news

Old January 23rd 05, 01:08 PM
Randy Howard

In article ,
says...
ok thanks its just before I upgraded I didn't have this problem so I thought
it may of been a compatibility issue with winxp 32bit and the 64bit
processor

It's quite likely that the RAID controller and/or associated driver have
problems. Is that new to this hardware configuration? Or, perhaps the
motherboard has PCI bus performance problems. I have seen a number of
new chipset/motherboard implementations in the last year which have
severe PCI performance issues, sometimes only in one, or some of the
slots. Try moving the controller between slots. Also, if it is a 64-bit
card, make sure it isn't in a slot adjacent to a 32-bit card. In most
configs, slots 1-2 are together, 3-4 together, etc. So, mixing older
slower 33Mhz, 66Mhz, 100Mhz, or 32-bit/64-bit cards together in those
pairs will result in both cards running at the slower and/or narrower
of the two. Good BIOS implementations will actually tell you to move
your cards if you do this, but most will not.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"For some reason most people seem to be born without the part
Old January 23rd 05, 01:20 PM
JD

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
[...]

As far As I know the raid is onboard the motherboard. no extra card

Old January 23rd 05, 04:25 PM
Dracir Venostos

"JD" wrote in message
Hi I have just purchased an amd64 3200+ . My problem is when i want to
delete a large folder the system hangs and take a very long time to
delete. I have 3 disks 200gb 160gb and 80gb on the raid controller.. any
ideas..

Is slow deletion your only issue? Are you having trouble with other HD
operations (i.e. moving, copying, slow boot, slow opening apps, etc.)? As
others have said, it's doubtful that it is your cpu. More likely I/O or
Windows.

Old January 23rd 05, 06:29 PM
Mitch Crane

"JD" wrote in
:

"JD" wrote in message
Hi I have just purchased an amd64 3200+ . My problem is when i want
to delete a large folder the system hangs and take a very long time
to delete. I have 3 disks 200gb 160gb and 80gb on the raid
controller.. any ideas..

I don't see how this has anything to do with the processor. The
processor is plenty fast, even if it's running in low power mode, and
you have more than enough RAM. Your problem is with Windows. You
should post your question to an XP group, they should be able to help
you.

ok thanks its just before I upgraded I didn't have this problem so I
thought it may of been a compatibility issue with winxp 32bit and the
64bit processor

If you upgraded from a 32-bit processor to a 64-bit then you changed more
than just the CPU (754 Sempron aside). I assume you have a new
motherboard and are probably running your drives off the new board's
IDE/SATA hardware.

Old January 24th 05, 04:53 AM
JD

I think I fixed the problem by upgradeing the motherboard bios. apart from
the file deletion everything else ran great

"Dracir Venostos" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
Hi I have just purchased an amd64 3200+ . My problem is when i want to
delete a large folder the system hangs and take a very long time to
delete. I have 3 disks 200gb 160gb and 80gb on the raid controller.. any
ideas..

Is slow deletion your only issue? Are you having trouble with other HD
operations (i.e. moving, copying, slow boot, slow opening apps, etc.)? As
others have said, it's doubtful that it is your cpu. More likely I/O or
Windows.

AMD64 3000+ FSB 333 - Slow bus?? Chris Bunney General 0 December 26th 04 10:26 PM
Is My Burner Broken? ggroups2 General 3 August 12th 04 03:54 AM
can someone look at this? steve General 3 March 1st 04 11:11 PM
help?? steve General 11 February 11th 04 05:08 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM