Bizarre Windows 2000 bug with CD drives, cure?

Old June 22nd 04, 05:58 AM
gt

Default Bizarre Windows 2000 bug with CD drives, cure?

I have a machine running Windows 2000 sp3, and it had in it an old
CD-Rom drive, but about 3 weeks ago, said drive appeared to develop a
fault. I figured the drive was just showing it's age, and as I wanted
a DVD playing drive anyway, I bought a new Liteon combi DVD
player/CDRW drive. Plug it in, same problem. Windows explorer asks me
"the drive doesn't appear to be formatted, format now?" (or words to
that effect). Attempting to access the drive from the command line,
results with the message "the volume does not contain a recognized
file system.". In looking in the properties of the drive, in Windows
Explorer, I get : File System : Unknown.

The bizarre thing is, the drive seems to be actually fully working, by
using a second PC, I managed to copy the Nero express CD-Rom over onto
a removable HD on another PC, move the HD over to the PC in question,
and install it, and Nero will happily burn stuff to blank disks in the
drive - and checking the stuff on my other machine, the data seems
fine. In fact I copied an audio CD, and it was fine too, So I guess
Nero bypasses the OS when writing. The main problem seems to be
pursuading Windows 2000 that it's a CD drive.

I seem to have tracked down the bug to this, after googling the
command line message:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Unfortunately, the suggested cure, editing the registry, doesnt work,
because there is no
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\Legacy_Cdrom\0000
key in my copy of windows 2000 (guess it's only in Windows NT). Plus I
can't find the "security menu" to alter permissions. I assume also,
that this is in the Windows NT version of regedit only.

I've tried modifying some of the variables in Legacy_CDFS\0000 too, as
a shot in the dark, such as ConfigFlags, but it won't let me.

So guys, any ideas how I can fix this? Surely I'm not going to have to
reinstall the OS to get my DVD/CD combi drive working?

Just also wondering if maybe someone using Windows 2000 (my other
machines have 95 and XP installed) could maybe paste a .reg file of
the values of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\Legacy_CDFS,
which I could maybe try and install, if it will let me. Plus, anyone
know how to stop it locking me out of changing these values?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I tried updating the software Driver too, no luck

Old June 22nd 04, 07:02 AM
gt

p.s. the OS is Windows 2000 professional, sp3

The drive works fine for reading on the other PC too (The other PC is
too slow for writing, so I can't check that).
Old June 22nd 04, 08:11 AM
kony

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:58:33 +0100, gt wrote:

So guys, any ideas how I can fix this? Surely I'm not going to have to
reinstall the OS to get my DVD/CD combi drive working?

No idea how to fix it, though I'd try installing SP4 just for the heck of
it before reinstalling the OS... probably won't help but why not?

Just also wondering if maybe someone using Windows 2000 (my other
machines have 95 and XP installed) could maybe paste a .reg file of
the values of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ Root\Legacy_CDFS,
which I could maybe try and install, if it will let me. Plus, anyone
know how to stop it locking me out of changing these values?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I tried updating the software Driver too, no luck

Software driver? You should not need any drivers loading for it. If you
were, still are loading legacy drivers for optical drives, don't unless
you know for certain that some other very old drive needs it. The new
drive should be supported by Win2K with absoluately no additonal software.
Of course you would need burning software and DVD viewer software for
those features, but not merely to read a CD.

Anyway, here's the reg entries from a Win2K SP4 box, should be same as SP3
AFAIK.

http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/win2k_CD.zip

There are several drive entries. Two HDD & one 52X CDROM drive are
connected to a RAID controller. Another 2 HDDs & 1 52X CDRW connected to
motherboard IDE.
Old June 22nd 04, 08:52 AM
Alien Zord

"gt" wrote in message

snip

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Unfortunately, the suggested cure, editing the registry, doesnt work,
because there is no
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\Legacy_Cdrom\0000
key in my copy of windows 2000 (guess it's only in Windows NT). Plus I
can't find the "security menu" to alter permissions.

snip

Run regedt32, not regedit.

Reading the MSKB article the value Legacy_Cdrom was an error, it should be
Legacy_Cdfs. It was corrected in Win2k and XP.

Highlight 0000 under Legacy_Cdfs, click Security, Permissions
Everyone should be Read Allow, Full Control both blank
System should be Read Allow, Full Control Allow.

In the RH pane the relevant values should be
DeviceDesc: REG_SZ: cdfs
Service: REG_SZ: cdfs