Modem problem?

Old January 6th 04, 01:51 AM
Sean Rife

Default Modem problem?

Hello, all....

I have recently performed a new install of Win 98SE onto my girlfriend's
computer.... an HP Pavilion with 32M RAM, a 300 MHz K6 processor, and a
Com1 56K v.92 modem.

All drivers are the latest, and everything works well. Except when I try to
mess with the modem (most notably, when AOL tries to mess with the modem). I
get a blue screen of death with the message:

Fatal exception 0E at 0028:C161BE83 in VxD BASIC2(01) + 0000B3C3.

I am thinking this is some sort of hardware problem, although there are no
conflicts or any other errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Sean

Old January 6th 04, 01:20 PM
Haggis

I would boot to safe mode , remove all instances of the modem from device
manager , shut down then restart and let win98 redetect the modem (not very
oftem you see the modem on com1 ...usually com3,4,5)

t...

Old January 6th 04, 03:26 PM
Mike Walsh

A 300 Mhz K6 is barely adequate to run Win98SE, but 32 MB RAM is not. You should add at least another 64 MB.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old January 6th 04, 09:07 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:51:34 GMT In this world we created "Sean Rife"
wrote :

Hello, all....

I have recently performed a new install of Win 98SE onto my girlfriend's
computer.... an HP Pavilion with 32M RAM, a 300 MHz K6 processor, and a
Com1 56K v.92 modem.

All drivers are the latest, and everything works well. Except when I try to
mess with the modem (most notably, when AOL tries to mess with the modem). I
get a blue screen of death with the message:

Fatal exception 0E at 0028:C161BE83 in VxD BASIC2(01) + 0000B3C3.

I am thinking this is some sort of hardware problem, although there are no
conflicts or any other errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Sean

If this is a,"Soft" PCI Internal modem and it has an installer then
use this From the control Panel/Add Remove Programs list to remove the
drivers.Then boot to Safemode/Device Manager and remove ALL entries
for the modem.
Shutdown and if you know how to Enter the BIOS and have some knowledge
and are NOT using any external serial devices then disable the on
board com ports/serial ports.Save on exit and re-boot and let windows
re-detect the modem.
You may have to cancel the auto-install that windows tries and re-run
the software off the Modem's CD and then re-boot.Then delete and make
a new DUN connection so make sure you have the password/username and
telephone number of the ISP written down.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old January 6th 04, 09:16 PM
Hugh Candlin

Haggis wrote in message news:FEyKb.4103$Ur.202277@localhost...
I would boot to safe mode , remove all instances of the modem from device
manager , shut down then restart and let win98 redetect the modem (not very
oftem you see the modem on com1 ...usually com3,4,5)

My modem is on COM1.

Old January 7th 04, 07:02 PM
Hugh Candlin

Haggis wrote in message news:QTSKb.4259$Ur.209630@localhost...
do you have both serial ports disabled in the BIOS ?

No. The modem is attached to a serial port.

Old January 14th 04, 08:03 AM
Hugh Candlin

Haggis wrote in message news:5MXMb.4551$Ur.214994@localhost...
windows does not detect it at all ?

try having a look here

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 190554

hope it helps

You seem to have lost track of who's who and what's what.
I am not the one with the original problem.

I was simply informing you that, contrary to your statement,
my modem, as are many modems, is on COM1.

Old January 14th 04, 12:23 PM
Haggis

sorry , lost track of posts ...wasn't getting any for a few days...

you are right about COM1 ...just don't see it that often :