Asus v9280 and v44.03 Driver - problems!

Old July 20th 03, 03:27 PM
James Martin

Default Asus v9280 and v44.03 Driver - problems!

I recently upgraded my drivers for my Asus v9280 Deluxe to v44.03 this
is in a PC with an A7N8X Deluxe mobo running Windows 2000 up to SP4.
I used the v9280 specific drivers from the ASUS website to do the
upgrade.

At first I was pleased that graphics in games seemed faster and that
the overlay was supported.

But then the problems started creaping in.

Firstly I use Zoom Player to watch Divx and Mpeg files usually on my
TV using the S-Video TV out. I found that after a few hours the
picture in the Zoom Player window became blank. Rebooting my PC made
it appear again. This seems to be a problem with using the Overlay
because if I use BSPlayer instead and turn off overlay use the picture
appears.

So I started trying different combinations of settings to see if I
could find a solution to this problem that didn't require rebooting.

Regretably changing settings, it doesn't seem to matter which ones,
more that a couple of times before rebooting causes the whole machine
to become incredibly unstable!

One way to get Zoom Player output is to use Advanced-Troubleshooting
to turn off Directx. Of course with this off games refuse to play.

Another problem is under the "GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP 8X" settings
tab you can find an Overlay Control tab. This has a useful feature
called "Full Screen Video Mirroring". Basically whatever is appearing
on the overlay on your monitor will appear full screen on your TV (or
the opposite). This is a pretty nice feature and even works if, as in
my case, the video player was covered by other windows I still get a
full screen picture on my TV.... well most of the time. After a while
the full screen device seems to reset itself to my monitor. Reseting
it back doesn't seem to last either.

Another warning is that under the "Desktop Utilities" tab there is an
option to "Enable Dualview (Treat multiple outputs on an NVIDIA
GPU-based card as seperate display devices)". If you select this then
you will be asked to reboot. You cannot cancel or abort this reboot
in any way!! Once rebooted the system will then ask for a new device
driver to be installed, presumably for the 2nd output on the graphics
card but there isn't one that works in the v44.03 driver. In the end
I had to disable this feature.

Can anyone shed any light on why so many of these new features are so
unreliable or on anything I can do to make them more stable?

As it is I'm seriously considering dropping back to an older version
of the drivers to improve the stability of my system. But it seems a
shame to have to do that.

James.