A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 setup questions

Old June 25th 03, 06:03 PM
BilEBob

Default A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 setup questions

I am getting ready to setup my new A7N8X deluxe and had a few questions
before i dig into this.

1. I am re-using my old Athalon T-bird 1200 CPU and am assuming that I
need to set the mb jumper to 200mhz FSB. Is this correct?
2. How to disable onboard audio? I want to use my Audigy2 instead, so
would this be accomplished through the following bios settings? Disable
- Onboard AC97 Audio Controller, Onboard game port, Onboard MIDI I/O,
Onboard MIDI IRQ?
3. I have DSL and need to use one of the onboard lan ports. Does anyone
have pro's or con's on either the 3com or Nvidia port? Any problems with
either of them? I have a Netgear NIC now but would rather use the
onboard lan if there's an advantage.

Here's what's going into the box:

A7N8X DELUXE PCB 2.0
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430
ATHALON T-BIRD 1200
1 CORSAIR 512MB XMS DDR3200 400MHZ
WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB, ATA100 7200 IDE 8MB
LEADTEK A250 TI4400 128MB
SB AUDIGY2
CD & CDRW

Thanks for you help.
Old June 26th 03, 01:20 AM
Ron Miller

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:03:45 GMT, BilEBob wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but I can't refrain from asking WHY?!?
Why would you buy all those top-of-the-line components, including the
Corsair PC3200 RAM and then CRIPPLE it all with a terribly, hopelessly
obsolete CPU that you couldn't get $5US for on eBay? That just makes
NO SENSE to me at all. If you're going to run a T-bird 1200 (not even
the peak of the Thunderbird line), you certainly don't need the most
expensive RAM you can buy, a motherboard as expensive as the A7N8X, or
a great video card like the Leadtek TI4400.
What you're assembling here is directly analogous to ordering a 2004
BMW with a 1982 Yugo engine.
WHY??
Old June 26th 03, 04:11 AM
Shap

DUde, please buy a 1700+ from NEw Egg for $41! You can at least get decent
use out of all those other parts.

Old June 26th 03, 08:08 PM
BilEBob

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how it goes this weekend.

Ed wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:03:45 GMT, BilEBob wrote:

I am getting ready to setup my new A7N8X deluxe and had a few questions
before i dig into this.

1. I am re-using my old Athalon T-bird 1200 CPU and am assuming that I
need to set the mb jumper to 200mhz FSB. Is this correct?

Depends, if the last letter on the first line of the CPU is a "B" then
it's a 200 FSB chip, if it's a "C" then it is a 266 FSB, in the BIOS it
would be 100x12 or 133x9 or you could even run it at 200 x 6.

2. How to disable onboard audio? I want to use my Audigy2 instead, so
would this be accomplished through the following bios settings? Disable
- Onboard AC97 Audio Controller, Onboard game port, Onboard MIDI I/O,
Onboard MIDI IRQ?

Yep, just disable anything related to the onboard audio and you should
be fine.

3. I have DSL and need to use one of the onboard lan ports. Does anyone
have pro's or con's on either the 3com or Nvidia port? Any problems with
either of them? I have a Netgear NIC now but would rather use the
onboard lan if there's an advantage.

From posts I've seen, seems the Nvidia NIC works better, I have the
non-dlx mobo and the Nvidia LAN works just fine.

Here's what's going into the box:

A7N8X DELUXE PCB 2.0
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430
ATHALON T-BIRD 1200
1 CORSAIR 512MB XMS DDR3200 400MHZ
WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB, ATA100 7200 IDE 8MB
LEADTEK A250 TI4400 128MB
SB AUDIGY2
CD & CDRW

Thanks for you help.

I'd run that setup with jumper in the 266/333/400 mode, clear BIOS, it
should boot up as 100x12. Set BIOS to User Defined, set bus to 200MHz,
CPU multiplier to 6.0 and RAM at 100% sync of FSB.

I have a very early stepping of the 1.2GHz T-bird and it runs rock solid
@ 1350MHz @ 1.85v, newer ones do 1400 with less vcore.

Good luck,
Ed
Barton 2800+ @ 200x11.5 1.725v
http://tinyurl.com/f94w

Old June 26th 03, 08:16 PM
BilEBob

I know, I know, slap me upside da head. I kinda broke the bank this
month getting these components and need to get this rig fired up now. I
am also waiting a few months until the 3200 comes down in price. Thanks,

Old June 27th 03, 01:17 AM
Ron Miller

Just cause you broke the bank is no reason to put this together as
specified. You are going to be DISappointed big time. Like Shap
advised, if you can come up with even a paltry $41US additional, you
can at least get an XP processor that won't humiliate the rest of the
premium components you assembled.
Take a few deep breaths and think this trough a little more.

Ron

Old June 29th 03, 03:57 AM
Thomas Andersson

Ed wrote:

2. How to disable onboard audio? I want to use my Audigy2 instead, so
would this be accomplished through the following bios settings?
Disable
- Onboard AC97 Audio Controller, Onboard game port, Onboard MIDI I/O,
Onboard MIDI IRQ?

Yep, just disable anything related to the onboard audio and you should
be fine.

From what I've heard the Audigy (2) game port won't work on a A7N8X-Dx due
to address/resources mismatch or something. So you should use the onboard
gameport enabled and use that one if you need it.

Best Wishes
Thomas