building 2nd sys. need help.

Old February 5th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default building 2nd sys. need help.

I'm getting ready to build my second home PC and its been at least 4 years
since I built this one, I'm a little behind on what will work and not. I
have a list of items I put together from Tigerdirect.com and would like to
get some feedback on the piece's I gotten down. What I'm building is (I
hope) a gaming,Internet,and a PC for my wife to do her college home work on,
that is Fast, reliable, and good enough to play the newest games out. Please
look at the list and let me know what you think. I've used SATA drives
before and I'm not sure If RAID 0,1 is something I should consider.

XM-A8NE-4800 :: Asus A8N-E nForce Ultra Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor with FREE copies of FarCry and Bet On
Soldier: Blood Sport PC Games
1

$935.99
U93-4906 :: US Modular 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
2

$114.99
P725-3046 :: Pioneer DVR-R100B / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW /
8x DVD±R DL / 40x32x40x CD-RW / Biege DVD Burner
1

$79.99
S457-1048 :: MassCool NexTherm CS-ICS8200 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
wth Buil-in Air Conditioning
1

$219.99
M17-7508 :: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 OEM Edition with
Remote
1

$139.99
A177-3050 :: ATI Radeon X1800 XT / 512MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Dual
DVI / VIVO / CrossFire Ready / Video Card
1

$499.99
T13-1060 :: Coolmax / CX1-500B / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan /
SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply
1

$79.99
S130-1216 :: Seagate / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150 / Retail / Hard
Drive with NCQ Technology
1

$114.99
ULT31799 :: Ultra Black 3.5" Floppy Drive with Built-in 6-in-1 Flash
Card Reader
1

$29.99

Please let me know what you think. I am a Big fan of AMD and Flat refuse to
use Intel. everything else I'm open for suggestions on.

Attached Images

Old February 5th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dan" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to build my second home PC and its been at least 4 years
since I built this one, I'm a little behind on what will work and not. I
have a list of items I put together from Tigerdirect.com and would like to
get some feedback on the piece's I gotten down. What I'm building is (I
hope) a gaming,Internet,and a PC for my wife to do her college home work
on, that is Fast, reliable, and good enough to play the newest games out.
Please look at the list and let me know what you think. I've used SATA
drives before and I'm not sure If RAID 0,1 is something I should consider.

XM-A8NE-4800 :: Asus A8N-E nForce Ultra Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor with FREE copies of FarCry and Bet On
Soldier: Blood Sport PC Games
1

An AMD 64x2 4800 is $630 at Newegg. The Asus A8N-E motherboard is $104.
Only ~ $200 less.

$935.99
U93-4906 :: US Modular 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory

You shouldn't have to pay over $80 for 2 sticks of 512MB 400MHZ memory.
2

$114.99
P725-3046 :: Pioneer DVR-R100B / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW /
8x DVD±R DL / 40x32x40x CD-RW / Biege DVD Burner

Try Newegg. My Pioneer 110 was a little over $50.
1

$79.99
S457-1048 :: MassCool NexTherm CS-ICS8200 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
wth Buil-in Air Conditioning
1

Personally, I'd go with an Antec SLK3700BQE. It's a little more, but I've
built 3 systems with it. Love the hdd trays with the rubber grommets. Air
flow works well. And, it's less than $100 at Newegg.

$219.99
M17-7508 :: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 OEM Edition with
Remote
1

$139.99
A177-3050 :: ATI Radeon X1800 XT / 512MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Dual
DVI / VIVO / CrossFire Ready / Video Card
1

$499.99
T13-1060 :: Coolmax / CX1-500B / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan /
SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply
1

$79.99
S130-1216 :: Seagate / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150 / Retail / Hard
Drive with NCQ Technology
1

I think you'll find the same drive at Newegg for ~ $30 less.

$114.99
ULT31799 :: Ultra Black 3.5" Floppy Drive with Built-in 6-in-1 Flash
Card Reader
1

$29.99

Total savings using Newegg over these prices ~ $400.

HTH

Old February 5th 06, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks for the Price savings at Newegg.com totally forgot about that site.
But what I'm Mainly concerned about is, will this setup work? or will there
be potential problems with this setup.

Old February 5th 06, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:25:54 -0500, "Dan" wrote:

Thanks for the Price savings at Newegg.com totally forgot about that site.
But what I'm Mainly concerned about is, will this setup work? or will there
be potential problems with this setup.

Anything you build has potential problems. The components look fine,
so that should reduce the possibility, but nothing except buying at a
store with many units in stock and a great return policy will
eliminate the possibility of problems.

Old February 5th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:25:54 -0500, "Dan" wrote:

Anything you build has potential problems. The components look fine,
so that should reduce the possibility, but nothing except buying at a
store with many units in stock and a great return policy will
eliminate the possibility of problems.

Thanks, that was the issue I wondering about , that all the items listed
would work well together or not. That was a big problem with the first
system I bought, everything was good except that I ordered the wrong CPU
cooling fan for the AMD Athlon 1.33GHz Cpu that I bought and did know
something was wrong till I put it together and started using it and found
out real fast that I had a really bad problem with heat and almost smoked
the CPU in the first 3 min of playing a game on the system. I'm just trying
to avoid that problem again this time LOL.
Thanks

Old February 5th 06, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In looking over your system specs, AND considering what this PC is going to
be used for ( "a gaming, Internet, and a PC for my wife to do her college
home work on, that is Fast, reliable, and good enough to play the newest
games out.") I would suggest the following:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131540 $167 Super
stable w/ silent cooling - dual core ready right out of the box.

AMD Opteron 175 Denmark
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103584 $508.00
Supeior server-quality CPU

Total for this mobo & CPU = $675 Savings = $261

The Opterons are AMD's hand-picked server quality processors. This Opty 175
at 2.2Ghtz will perform just as well as that 4800+ at 2.4Ghtz, and down the
road you could always overclock the Opteron to 2.7Ghtz e a s y on stock
air. (AMD's forum: http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showforum=18)

Are you hooked on ATI??? They have redeemed themselves a bit lately with
the release of their X1900XT series cards. Why pay the premium for a 512MB
GPU at this time? The performance "sweet spot" is in the Nvidia line-up
with the 7800GT cards. I recommend:

BFG Geforce 7800GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143037 $320 Best
warranty out there, super support & active community online. Savings: $180

Savings so far: $ 441

Now lets take a some of our savings and spend a little more on the best
cost/performance power supply out the

Tagan TG-480-U22 480W Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817101516 $91 Split
rail capable, smooth & stable delivery, SLI ready. For the money, simply
can't be topped. Check out the reviews online. After all, the PSU is
arguably the most important component in your PC.

Remaining savings: $350

Check out this HDD - 90GB's mor for $12 less = B A R G A I N!!!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 8MB Serial ATA150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148065 $103.00

Savings so far: $453

R A M. Once again, let's spend a little more here. Especially with a
dual core set-up. Value RAM = trouble. Your wife won't need 2GB's since
there's very little difference in performance between 1 and 2 GB's of RAM in
almost all applications - see this article:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...y/2gb-ram.html So let's
splurge a bit and get a kick-ass 2 stick kit (2 x 512):

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB kit (2x512)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146890 $167

Savings so far $401

I don't know about that case you have picked out, but the components don't
warrant anything but a good, air-cooled chasis. Suggestion:

Wave Master TAC-T01-E1C
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119023 $130 Sexy
enough to turn back the clock on your marriage 5 years. For the money, it's
sleek, well-cooled and packed with builder friendly features (e.g removable
mobo tray, no sharp edges, thumb screws)

Total savings: $491

With the money saved, if you thought it was necessary - you could grab
another 7800 GT and put it in SLI for tremendous video capability!

Good Luck!

My specs:

Silverstone TJ-03 Silver
SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F 600W Modular
ABIT AN8 Ultra (BIOS 19)
Athlon 64 4000+ SanDiego @ 2.75 Ghtz (11x250) 1.47V
XP-90 w/ 92mm Panaflow fan
2 Gb (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum at 2-2-2-5 2T @ 2.9V
eVGA 7800GTX w/ACS @ 496/1380
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB HDD
Plextor PX-716SA / ASUS 16x DVD ROM
Creative X-FI Platinum
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
XP Pro SP2

Old February 5th 06, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

A couple of suggestions:

If you want an ATI graphics card, I'd suggest the X1900XT over the X1800XT.
They cost about the same, but the X1900XT is supposed to have significantly
better performance. (The X1900XTX wouldn't be worth the extra money for most
people.) Google will find more reviews than you could read. Here's one:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2679

The A64 4400+ is a better price/performance deal than the 4800+.

"Dan" wrote in message

news

Old February 5th 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks to all for the feed back! I WILL look at all options and recheck my
prices. The response to this tread was fast and very helpfull, once again
thaks all.