Intel P4 Boxed - New Thermal Pad Color Change?

Old November 9th 03, 09:49 PM
bucko

Default Intel P4 Boxed - New Thermal Pad Color Change?

Anyone notice that the Intel factory thermal pad on the new Retail Boxed P4-3.0C is
silver/gray colored compared to that found on the Retail Boxed P4-2.4C SL6Z3, which is
black.

I wonder if they changed thermal pad material composition on the faster P4s?

Old November 9th 03, 10:21 PM
kony

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:49:45 GMT, "bucko"
wrote:

Anyone notice that the Intel factory thermal pad on the new Retail Boxed P4-3.0C is
silver/gray colored compared to that found on the Retail Boxed P4-2.4C SL6Z3, which is
black.

I wonder if they changed thermal pad material composition on the faster P4s?

You're putting too much thought into this, it's just a pre-applied
thermal transfer material, is applied by heatsink manufacturer, not
Intel.

If you want best temps use a decent heatsink compound and lap the base
of the heatsink if needed. In can also help to lap the CPU
heat-spreader, a little bit or even a LOT till the middle is flush
with the edges, but that would void your warranty and it's a matter of
how much work you feel like doing for just a few degrees cooler CPU.

Dave
Old November 9th 03, 11:32 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
You're putting too much thought into this, it's just a pre-applied
thermal transfer material, is applied by heatsink manufacturer, not
Intel.

If you want best temps use a decent heatsink compound and lap the base
of the heatsink if needed. In can also help to lap the CPU
heat-spreader, a little bit or even a LOT till the middle is flush
with the edges, but that would void your warranty and it's a matter of
how much work you feel like doing for just a few degrees cooler CPU.

Can you buy the Thermal pad's seperately, the Intel version that is? As I'm
looking at another motherboard, I assume the one on my P4 won't work again
when used on another M/B.

@drian.

Old November 9th 03, 11:59 PM
kony

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:32:53 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .
You're putting too much thought into this, it's just a pre-applied
thermal transfer material, is applied by heatsink manufacturer, not
Intel.

If you want best temps use a decent heatsink compound and lap the base
of the heatsink if needed. In can also help to lap the CPU
heat-spreader, a little bit or even a LOT till the middle is flush
with the edges, but that would void your warranty and it's a matter of
how much work you feel like doing for just a few degrees cooler CPU.

Can you buy the Thermal pad's seperately, the Intel version that is? As I'm
looking at another motherboard, I assume the one on my P4 won't work again
when used on another M/B.

@drian.

The best thermal pad they used is machine applied, not some "sticker"
to peel off and stick on a heatsink. You want to buy the machine?

There is no reason to want one, it's only the cheapest way to do an
interface in mass production environment, not an optimal interface.

Buy some decent heatsink compound, though on a CPU with a
heat-spreader it makes little difference which you choose, maybe a
degree or two, a $1 compound should be fine unless it's too thick.

Dave

Old November 10th 03, 12:31 AM
~misfit~

@drian wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
You're putting too much thought into this, it's just a pre-applied
thermal transfer material, is applied by heatsink manufacturer, not
Intel.

If you want best temps use a decent heatsink compound and lap the
base of the heatsink if needed. In can also help to lap the CPU
heat-spreader, a little bit or even a LOT till the middle is flush
with the edges, but that would void your warranty and it's a matter
of how much work you feel like doing for just a few degrees cooler
CPU.

Can you buy the Thermal pad's seperately, the Intel version that is?
As I'm looking at another motherboard, I assume the one on my P4
won't work again when used on another M/B.

Not that I know of. I think you'll have to use thermal paste.
--
~misfit~

Old November 10th 03, 12:44 AM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
The best thermal pad they used is machine applied, not some "sticker"
to peel off and stick on a heatsink. You want to buy the machine?

Alright, how much? :-)

Buy some decent heatsink compound, though on a CPU with a
heat-spreader it makes little difference which you choose, maybe a
degree or two, a $1 compound should be fine unless it's too thick.

I'll try some of that Artic Silver compound.

@drian.

Old November 10th 03, 06:59 AM
gandolf_one

"bucko" wrote in message
Anyone notice that the Intel factory thermal pad on the new Retail Boxed

P4-3.0C is
silver/gray colored compared to that found on the Retail Boxed P4-2.4C

SL6Z3, which is
black.

I wonder if they changed thermal pad material composition on the faster

P4s?

my 2.8c had a silver/grey

Old November 10th 03, 10:39 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
The best thermal pad they used is machine applied, not some "sticker"
to peel off and stick on a heatsink. You want to buy the machine?

On a serious note, Dave, I called Intel and they are sending a tube of their
thermal grease. Apparently I'm to use all of it. As I remember, there's a
lot in that tube. That advice doesn't sound correct to me, but anyway...

@drian.

Old November 10th 03, 11:16 PM
kony

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:39:04 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .
The best thermal pad they used is machine applied, not some "sticker"
to peel off and stick on a heatsink. You want to buy the machine?

On a serious note, Dave, I called Intel and they are sending a tube of their
thermal grease. Apparently I'm to use all of it. As I remember, there's a
lot in that tube. That advice doesn't sound correct to me, but anyway...

@drian.

That's nice of them.
Unless the tube is incredibly small, you're right, only a paper-thin
layer should be used.

Dave

Old November 11th 03, 01:14 AM
Nicolas The Great

"bucko" wrote in message news:ZDyrb.155614$Tr4.415913@attbi_s03...
Anyone notice that the Intel factory thermal pad on the new Retail Boxed P4-3.0C is
silver/gray colored compared to that found on the Retail Boxed P4-2.4C SL6Z3, which is
black.

I wonder if they changed thermal pad material composition on the faster P4s?

I would use THAT PAD. Don't waste your time with paste. I got that straigth
from the horses mouth(S). Why would that put that pad there? so it'll ruin
your CPU? No, it's there because IT WORKS. Use it and don't worry.

Nick