Hi All ..... would it do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than....

Old May 11th 04, 09:17 PM
Clive

Default Hi All ..... would it do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than....

Hi All .....

.... would it do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My Intel mobo ( D845GLLY) has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my Intel
P4s (2.4GB) rating is 533Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps, to
'pull down' (underclock?) the P4's capability and cause it to be
under-utilised ( and, perhaps, even run cooler? )
The D845GLLY Intel Mobo manual states -

"Supports the Intel® Pentium® 4 and Celeron® processors with 400-MHz
system bus in the mPGA478-pin package to the mPGA478-pin package."

Your advise / feedback is appreciated.
thnx

Old May 11th 04, 09:24 PM
GBH

I asked a similar question a while ago (800fsb CPU into 533 mobo) and the
response was it should be ok except of course the CPU will run at half its
rated speed. Otherwise depends how brave you are!

;-)

Geoff

Old May 12th 04, 07:54 AM
amn

I tried this once about a year ago. The combination didn't work (Would not
boot).
The CPU was unharmed though.