This news has made AMD'ers happy

Old May 7th 04, 03:20 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
Actually, I think the overall total for that one particular week was

Intel
sold only 61% of all CPUs, and AMD sold between 37-38% of all CPUs.

If that is indeed accurate, that would be VERY good news for AMD!
However I'd be extremely skeptical of that number, that would be more
than double the amount of chips that AMD was selling just a couple of
months earlier. If AMD managed even 20% of the total CPU market for
the week they were doing well, but I'd be surprised if the managed
anything more.

Well, let's remember one thing, these are all figures for a single _week_ of
production, not an entire month, let alone an entire quarter, let alone an
entire year. I think AMD can handle an extra large order for a single week
at the very least. Besides, the article never really suggested whether AMD
took that extra large share of the week due to much greater demand for its
products or simply because the overall market just shrank, during that week.
I suspect that it's mostly that it was a slow week, and AMD didn't slow down
as much as Intel did.

Yousuf Khan

Old May 7th 04, 08:27 AM
George Macdonald

On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:34:56 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 4 May 2004 22:56:09 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

In article cTVlc.52265$DrD1.17933
, news.20.bbbl67
says...
Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Bums me out. The prices for AMD widgets has gone up, just when
I'm about to dive in. *******s! ;-)

Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

Hmmm, I'm nearly ready to take the toe-dip(?) myself.:-) For a graphics
card, nVidia has come a long way on the 2D and I'm still nervous about
previous ATI "driver of the week" syndrome results.

Well... Graphics cards look like a big bugaboo. Unless anyone
can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going safe: Matrox G550.
I'm really a 2D kinda guy anyway (and dual monitors are a must).

Yeah I *think* Matrox still has the best 2D, though it's been a long while
since I bought one - G200... probably still better than even current nVidia
and ATI for 2D.

BTW, my board of choice is the Tyan 2875S and a Opteron 144. I'd
like to go more, but the CFO has already expanded the budget a
few times. Going back for even more may get expensive. ;-).

For a case, I never
even bother to look beyond Antec now but choose carefully according to the
power supply if included - the TruePower ones have a thermistor controlled
fan in the P/S and special connectors for controlling the case fans off the
same temp measurement.

Ok... How about the SX1040BII:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...iption=11-129-
120&depa=0 (sorry for the split)

In the office, I have a SX840 for a user system and SX1240 (6x5.25 external
bays) for our server. Those are both older models and beige of course but
I like them - the swing-out side panels are nice and cable routing is neat:
I tie-wire the mbrd and rear fan wiring into the flanged bar across the
upper half of the case and it makes for a clean interior.

I dunno if the black SX models have as good a finish as the beige, which
still has baked enamel, but I'd hope so. The 660AMGs we have are nice but
that grey metallic finish is just regular paint and scratches more easily.
With two standard rear exhaust fans you shouldn't need any extra fans - not
sure if those case fans have individual thermistor control or not. The
SmartPower P/S fan is temp controlled so it should not be noisy unless
maybe you're "pounding" on it.

On the SX models we have, you don't have to have those feet sticking out -
if the standing surface is stable, you can swivel the feet in under the
case.

The Plus AMG cases seem to work fine in our office
and I'm looking at that or the Lifestyle series Sonata for my home system.

The Sonata didn't look all that interesting, though I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise.

I haven't tried it myself but others have made favorable comments.

I'm also 99.44% sure I'm going with SuSE (they've even gotten
smart and are packaging the 64b version along with the 32b
package).

Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun.:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old May 7th 04, 08:22 PM
Rob Stow

Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

You mean someone not only makes cases that are OS-dependent
but they also support dual monitor ;-)

Old May 7th 04, 09:19 PM
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

KR Williams writes:
Ok... How about the SX1040BII:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...iption=11-129-
120&depa=0 (sorry for the split)

The Plus AMG cases seem to work fine in our office
and I'm looking at that or the Lifestyle series Sonata for my home system.

The Sonata didn't look all that interesting, though I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise.

I have both a 1040 and a Sonata sitting beside each other. The Sonata
is *much* quieter. The rubber-grommet disk mounts are also a nice
touch for disks that have noisy arms. (The quiet disks with a ramped
voltage to the disk arm are getting hard to find. It appears that
some company managed to patent the idea of not whacking the arm
solenoid with a square wave.)

(Asus k8v-se-d, 2Ghz Athlon64 3200, Matrox g550, Seagate Barracuda
80g, Sonata case, Openbsd)

-wolfgang
Old May 7th 04, 09:25 PM
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

chrisv writes:
KR Williams wrote:
Well... Graphics cards look like a big bugaboo. Unless anyone
can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going safe: Matrox G550.
I'm really a 2D kinda guy anyway (and dual monitors are a must).

That's what I've bought for my last couple office PC's. Just bought
one a month ago for my latest. They are kind of annoyingly expensive
for an "old tech" card, though...

I'd have loved to have gotten a P650, but Matrox hasn't released the
programming info for the card. The card worthless for open source
OS's. For a company on the skids, you'd think Matrox would be doing a
bit more to develop new markets.

-wolfgang
Old May 7th 04, 09:26 PM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...

"KR Williams" wrote in message
a.net...

Well... Graphics cards look like a big bugaboo. Unless anyone
can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going safe: Matrox G550.
I'm really a 2D kinda guy anyway (and dual monitors are a must).

BTW, my board of choice is the Tyan 2875S and a Opteron 144. I'd
like to go more, but the CFO has already expanded the budget a
few times. Going back for even more may get expensive. ;-).

Any suggestions on what we should put in our next desktop box for our
top developers? Our current box has dual 2.4Ghz Xeons on a Tyan i7505
Thunder (S2665), 4 512Mb ECC DIMMs, a 3Ware 7500-4LP with 4 120Gb Maxtor
drives. The graphics card is a Matrox Parhelia with two 18" LCD monitors
(Currently NEC LCD1850X).

Without knowing your build process, this would be an impossible
task. If they build on their own systems (ick) you may want to
give them some peachy-keen latest stuff. If you're doing
software for the general public, you'll likely want a variety of
hardware to test/develop on. If you're doing large development,
you really ought to have a background build system that doesn't'
rely on the developer's desktop much at all.

In any case, give them at *least* two 20" monitors in a dual-
screen setup. If you can afford laptops, do the same. Dual
screen is a huge benefit to anyone doing development. Flat-
displays are an incremental bonus.

Our plan is tentatively a dual Opteron box with 4 SATA RAID drives,
probably using a 3Ware controller as well. We're hoping for 4Gb of RAM as
dual 128-bit memory busses. I've looked at many motherboards and they all
have large numbers of insane drawbacks. (Who thought it was a good idea to
connect the onboard gigabit LAN to the legacy 32-bit/33Mhz PCI bus?)

I'm assuming all of your developers work independently. If so,
fine. If they're collaborating, you'd better get a little
stronger. CVS and background builds are in your future.
Building software (or hardware in my case) just isn't reasonable
peace-meal.

I'd love suggestions on the graphics card

So far the Matrox G550 is winning my popularity contest. It has
the reputation (as all Matro cards) of being a business graphics
card, and isn't really suitable for 3D. As is designed, so be
it.

and motherboard especially.

That obviously depends on the processor you choose.

Also SATA RAID recommendations would be appreciated.

Why? What are you going to do for backup? Me thinks you have
the horsed after the cart.

Anybody have a gut
reaction of whether a developer would prefer dual xeons or dual opterons,
assuming they're not religious.

This "developer" certainly does. Though I don't do that icky
"software" stuff. ;-). Indeed if I truly had my choice, well
nevermind , the CFO would never approve.

--
Keith

Old May 8th 04, 04:27 PM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...

Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun.:-)

Yeah, I ordered all the bits yesterday. I have a week off at the
end of the month. I figured I'd have some fun then, inbetween
painting (Ugh!).

--
Keith