This news has made AMD'ers happy

Old May 5th 04, 12:42 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default This news has made AMD'ers happy

Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just send mail to above address ;-)

Old May 5th 04, 12:51 AM
Allan Parent

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based

desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in

one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales

only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Yousuf Khan

Yep, at the present time, AMD sports a better CPU at a lower price so it is
no wonder they are outselling Intel. Good competition between these two will
only help the consumer.

Allan

Old May 5th 04, 03:56 AM
KR Williams

In article cTVlc.52265$DrD1.17933
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, news.20.bbbl67
@spamgourmet.com says...
Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Bums me out. The prices for AMD widgets has gone up, just when
I'm about to dive in. *******s! ;-)

Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

--
Keith
Old May 5th 04, 04:23 AM
Stacey

Allan Parent wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Yousuf Khan

Yep, at the present time, AMD sports a better CPU at a lower price so it
is no wonder they are outselling Intel.

That and prescott appears to be a flop... I'm sure not selling or even
sugesting anyone buy P4 systems with things the way they are now.

--

Stacey
Old May 5th 04, 08:11 AM
Suen Lee

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in

one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales

only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Yes it has... for an entire month even. I don't see why its such a big
surprise, AMD has always been strong in retail.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old May 5th 04, 01:33 PM
chrisv

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

Umm... That's RETAIL, and ignores business sales and such.

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

They didn't outsell Intel.

Old May 5th 04, 01:34 PM
chrisv

"Allan Parent" wrote:

Yep, at the present time, AMD sports a better CPU at a lower price so it is
no wonder they are outselling Intel.

But they didn't.

Old May 5th 04, 03:44 PM
Yousuf Khan

"Suen Lee" wrote in message
But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Yes it has... for an entire month even. I don't see why its such a big
surprise, AMD has always been strong in retail.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ah, good find.

Yousuf Khan

Old May 5th 04, 10:00 PM
Judd

"chrisv" wrote in message
"Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based

desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

Umm... That's RETAIL, and ignores business sales and such.

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in

one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales

only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

They didn't outsell Intel.

Intel still sold over 80% of all CPUs (something like 83%). They killed in
the notebook market and server markets which have the highest margins.
Thus, Intel likely profited far more than AMD. It is still a great sign for
AMD. We'll see what happens this next quarter when Intel ups the ante with
Grantsdale/Alderwood and a 3.6 GHz part along with Dothan.

Old May 6th 04, 12:34 AM
George Macdonald

On Tue, 4 May 2004 22:56:09 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

In article cTVlc.52265$DrD1.17933
, news.20.bbbl67
says...
Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Bums me out. The prices for AMD widgets has gone up, just when
I'm about to dive in. *******s! ;-)

Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

Hmmm, I'm nearly ready to take the toe-dip(?) myself.:-) For a graphics
card, nVidia has come a long way on the 2D and I'm still nervous about
previous ATI "driver of the week" syndrome results. For a case, I never
even bother to look beyond Antec now but choose carefully according to the
power supply if included - the TruePower ones have a thermistor controlled
fan in the P/S and special connectors for controlling the case fans off the
same temp measurement. The Plus AMG cases seem to work fine in our office
and I'm looking at that or the Lifestyle series Sonata for my home system.
Of course, all their cases satisfy the AMD design criteria for airflow
though I'd hope that's true of all the other brands.

Rgds, George Macdonald