Future Intel Xeons to be designed in India

Old May 7th 04, 09:12 PM
chrisv

"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote:

(snip)

Nice pair of posts. I noticed your other posts are of similar
quality. Who are you?

Old May 7th 04, 09:46 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Nice pair of posts. I noticed your other posts are of similar
quality. Who are you?

As signature :-)

IT industry is the Garment Industry.

The question is, if everything is outsourced, what do we do...
--
Dorothy Bradbury
Not now, I have a headache...

Old May 7th 04, 10:50 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

One interesting aspect on education, already in UK/EU:
o An EU member can apply for a degree anywhere, eg, the UK
o In doing so their fees must be met by the State (eg, UK)
---- whilst UK students must pay £10,000-20,000 (now, rising higher)
o Their work permit allows them to compete for jobs in that state
---- so have the same qualification, but no debt
---- thus they can price themselves lower to business
---- or business itself can simply discriminate in their favour re pay

That latter pricing power is why so many UK recruitment agencies are
having a field day creaming off commissions & fees. It is the milk-round
in exact reverse, where agencies can play UK v EU staff against one
another and expand their commission accordingly. Once they had to
rely on asset-stripping CVs unbeknown to people, know it's easier.

Same goes for universities which can trade who gets what based on
who the economic buyer is re final recruitment agency/company, the
same companies who fund the department or "consultancy" fees. So
a 69 can be given a 1st, and a 72 can be given a 2:1. When you add
in the UK v EU playoff, the slave trade could become very real indeed.

USAs been playing it partly for years re HB1s, but Canada put a real
dent in that since hopping between USA & Canada is fine. Some say
Canada offers a better quality of life, but that might start a war :-))

Can make bigger snowballs in Canada anyway :-)

Eventually the flipside is the UK people might be able to do the same
in going to Germany, some EU degrees can top 5 yrs for Engineering
and still get relatively good salaries vs "tech sales call centre staff".

The real focus is on tax-receipts & population, since both UK & the
EU would see population not far off halving without them by 2050.
With an aging population, declining pay yr-on-yr at the new entrant
end, the tax receipts aren't great - especially when one looks thro the
Proforma-you-got-to-be-smoking-crack vs GAAP corp earnings.

Cisco provided a large tax win for California, with California moving
from the high-pay highish-tax into underpaid-hispanic it hits tax receipts.
So the problem is distinctly global, as Cal issued Bonds aplenty.

San Jose VC colleagues are beginning to wonder who will pay for the
drugs, as insurers stateside are often shifting people around drugs that
are substitutable on price & effect - often notably less effective for some.
UK/EU should have copied the USA Roth system with 40% tax on a
pension contribution to hugely solve tax receipts now (re big population
inequality), whilst allowing tax-free withdrawals later (when that pop'n
inequality with immigration is eventually solves one way or another).

If the USA gets inflation, the whole country will quickly land in AMT-hell,
which will reverse Bush tax-cuts in an emormous way in %age terms.

Political & economic risk comes in odd packages, and odd events...
I notice the Iraq prison interrogators were private contractors employed
by the military and not subject to military law. What no-one has noticed is
that as a result the corporations providing them are liable in USA courts.
If anyone thinks that liability is small, punitive damages can apply to abuse
and where it is done by a corporation that can get into really silly figures.
So financially as well as politically that's one long drawn out risk next.

So on-topic, perhaps the Prescott is the SUV on CPUs re watts :-)
My next Intel CPU may say on it "we know where you live..." :-)
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Old May 8th 04, 05:08 PM
KR Williams

In article nMsmc.17345$urx.1920
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, news.20.bbbl67
@spamgourmet.com says...
KR Williams wrote:
But no 10MPG SUV, I'd bet.

Actually maybe only a 15MPG SUV.

Hell, even a Navigator gets 15MPG. ...and it wouldn't fit in
Europe, much less on the teensy roads there. ;-)

I've seen Toyota Sequoias in Bangladesh. Even Lexus RX350s (which they call
Toyota Harriers up there).

But they don't have roads. No roads European roads. ;-)

--
Keith