Can't Update BIOS with new build

Old October 26th 03, 10:17 PM
Howard

Default Can't Update BIOS with new build

Built my new computer yesterday (thanks for all the help, folks) but
now have a big problem. I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard and as
the first thing to do want to get into the BIOS to update it to the
newest version.

Got into the BIOS update utility and hit F8 to update the BIOS as the
instructions say to do...with the floppy disc in I kept getting a
message that says Access Floppy Disc Error while the disc makes a
clicking sound when I try to update. At first the green disc light
was on the whole time even though it was hooked up the right way
according to the directions....nonetheless flipped the floppy cable
into every possible orientation and the same thing kept
happening...those 'this drive is dying' type clicks! So I figured my
floppy drive was dead...it was an ALPS OEM drive from newegg.com. So
I run out to CompUSA and buy a brand new $25 Sony floppy drive and
plug it in. Now the light isn't on except when it tries to access the
disc..but the same problem, the drive makes multiple clicking sounds
as if it is trying to read the disc but can't when I try to update the
BIOS. So, seems unlikely that it is 2 dead drives in a row. And I
tried it with multiple different discs, all of which work in my other
computer. I even bought another floppy cable and tried that, but no
luck. Any ideas...and please, please don't tell me its a bad
motherboard..that would be bad. The wierd thing that makes me think
it isn't the motherboard is that the drive does try to access the disc
but can't and makes this wierd clicking sound..both of them did that.

Any ideas??????????? AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Howard
Old October 28th 03, 12:55 AM
Tim

1. Check the orientation of your floppy cable.
It should have the red stripe to Pin 1 on both the motherboard and the
floppy.

2. Check in the bios to make sure you have not set the floppy drive to Mode
3.
Mode 3 is for Japanese compatibility.

3. Check you are plugin the floppy into the correct cable connector.
old style cable had various connectors on and could connect 2 floppy
drives.
The drive needs to be in the end connector.

4. Check in the bios and make sure you have the Default floppy
configuration.
Normally the cable has a Twist before the end connector.
You can use short cables without the twist, but to use them you need to
select the Swap floppy drive option in the bios.
(Drive B becomes A - so no twist is needed. I cut the ends off the
cables and set this to use shorter cables....)

If in doubt, compare how the cable is oriented at both ends on your other
system. Perhaps test the drive in the other system or use the drive from
your other system...

Did you follow instructions and in the BIOS, Load Setup Defaults first time
you powered on the machine?
If not, review what BIOS chagnes you have made (or note their current
settings) and load them now.

HTH

- Tim

om...

Old October 28th 03, 06:04 PM
Howard

Tim..thanks for your response...I have been struggling wioth this for
two days, but have figured out the problem. The solution makes me
feel like a complete idiot but I will post it here on the chance that
it might be of asistance to someone else.

My floppy drive was mounted behind an aluminum bezel to let it match
the case. It did not appear that the bezel was pressing the drive
eject button at all and certainly, when inserted, the floppy disc both
seated and ejected seemingly normally. However, someone suggested to
me that even though it seemed OK, having the drive mounted too close
to the bezel can be a problem. So I moved it back another 1/4
inch...it looked exactly the same and the disc inserted and ejected
exactly the same way...but now it worked perfectly. I guess just a
small amount of pressure on the drive eject button can cause a problem
even if the disc seemingly seats and ejects well.

At least I caught it before I declared the motherboard as the problem,
as I had absolutely tried everything else.

Howard