+P4C800-E and an Antec 1080 case

Old September 10th 04, 11:45 PM
Bob

Default +P4C800-E and an Antec 1080 case

I'm about to install a P4C800-E in an Antec 1080 case. The case that I
bought (Used) has the two front case fans installed. These two fans have a
standard 4 pin header for power but also have a yellow wire. I'm assuming
that the yellow wire is for temp. sensing? Where does this wire go to?
Bob

Old September 11th 04, 01:28 AM
Paul

In article , "Bob"
wrote:

I'm about to install a P4C800-E in an Antec 1080 case. The case that I
bought (Used) has the two front case fans installed. These two fans have a
standard 4 pin header for power but also have a yellow wire. I'm assuming
that the yellow wire is for temp. sensing? Where does this wire go to?
Bob

Some fans come with a disk drive connector on the end. The
fan itself has three wires, two wires go to the disk drive
connector, the third wire has a three pin connector on the
end. The three pin connector goes on a motherboard fan connector
if you want the speed to be monitored.

---------------- X = no connection
| Fan |
| |
| GND +12 RPM |
---------------- X- Fan
| | | X- Connector
X X | | +------------------ To motherboard
| | | |
Disk Drive Connector

The 3 pin fan connector should be keyed, so it only fits one
way. Check the motherboard manual, for a picture of
the motherboard fan headers, and verify that the RPM wire
on the fan connector is going to the RPM or tachometer pin
on the motherboard connector.

A motherboard generally has three fan headers, one of which should
have the CPU fan connector. If you have more than two other
monitored fans, you'll have to decide which is the most important
ones to monitor. If the PSU has a monitor output, I'd connect it,
and use the last one for an exhaust fan on the case.

HTH,
Paul