Slightly off Topic...

Old May 16th 04, 09:51 AM
Junkmailraus

Default Slightly off Topic...

My problem is that an ex-roommate of mine did something to my computer which I
have no idea how to remedy. The result of his vandallism is that before, I was
able to use two hardrives on the IDE1 gray strap, but now it will only work
with one drive at a time. IDE2 still allows two CDs to operate.

Where do I start here? Is it missing a jumper or something like that? I've
tried setting the BIOS to the default values, etc, but nothing has yet worked.
Does anyone have a clue what he could have done quickly to produce such
results???

Thanks in advance for your efforts. Depending on the hard drive I use, I'm
running either W2K-P or XP-P operating systems. I have an IBM compatable with
a Pentium 2 processor, I think. It runs at 333 MHz and I don't know what else
to tell you about it. I haven't a clue how to identify the motherboard for
you. For this reason, I haven't been able to search the net for answers.

Thanks again.

Old May 16th 04, 10:50 AM
harryHawk

Did the "friend" open the case of the computer? If so I suspect that they
either disconnected the power to an ide drive - more likely tho is that they
moved the jumper switches so that both of them tell the computer thathe ide
drive is set to master/master not master slave.

Try these links;-
fitting the drives section on http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html

HTH

Old May 16th 04, 12:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:51:23 +0000, Junkmailraus wrote:

My problem is that an ex-roommate of mine did something to my computer
which I have no idea how to remedy. The result of his vandallism is
that before, I was able to use two hardrives on the IDE1 gray strap, but
now it will only work with one drive at a time. IDE2 still allows two
CDs to operate.

Where do I start here? Is it missing a jumper or something like that?
I've tried setting the BIOS to the default values, etc, but nothing has
yet worked. Does anyone have a clue what he could have done quickly to
produce such results???

Look at the jumper settings. If one is Cable Select (CS), the other should
be too. If they aren't set for CS, then one should be jumpered for master
(or master with slave on some drives) and the other should be jumpered as
slave. But you might want to check the bios first. he may have just
disabled one with a none setting.

Old May 16th 04, 09:05 PM
Junkmailraus

Thanks for the links you two, I'll check them out. Getting back to what
happened...I'm sure he opened the case, but he did not have access to the hard
drives themselves. I had already been suspicious of his intentions and so,
believe it or not, I always took the drives with me whenever I went somewhere!
Sorry for not including that piece of info.

So my problem is probably still with the motherboard or other hardware. The
grey strap does't look tampered with; it probably wouldn't work at all if it
were.

Any other ideas? Again, thank you!

Old May 16th 04, 10:38 PM
Sir Edward Jones-Dome

I'm guessing the repeated connecting-removal has damaged the "strap". Take
the "strap" off of the cd drives and use it in place of the hard drive
"strap". If it works, just go buy another "strap" and your problem is
solved.
--
Sir Edward Jones-Dome

"Now the game is clear, there is no longer any possibility of an alliance
with the Anglo-Saxons. We can see the next war panning out- Europe against
America. We'll be reconciled with the Fritzes. We will be a very strong
alliance...When I am in power, I shall ask Russia for time to reorganize
after the war without her intervention.. .I shall then have accomplished
what Hitler failed to do- become the master of Europe."
Charles DeGaulle, 1943.

Old May 17th 04, 03:52 AM
)-()-(

Junkmailraus wrote:

Thanks for the links you two, I'll check them out. Getting back to what
happened...I'm sure he opened the case, but he did not have access to the hard
drives themselves. I had already been suspicious of his intentions and so,
believe it or not, I always took the drives with me whenever I went somewhere!
Sorry for not including that piece of info.

So my problem is probably still with the motherboard or other hardware. The
grey strap does't look tampered with; it probably wouldn't work at all if it
were.

Any other ideas? Again, thank you!

I'd go into the BIOS and see that that all the IDEs are enabled.

oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
On the topic of wireless [email protected] General 2 February 27th 04 09:41 PM
Palomino Multiplier (sorry for the same topic again:) Maniacus Overclocking AMD Processors 4 September 19th 03 07:37 AM
Brightness works! But slightly out of focus now... david General 0 September 8th 03 10:45 PM
AMD RAID system - Off Topic? Darthy Overclocking AMD Processors 3 August 18th 03 01:59 AM