Diagnosis/conclusion of Skybuck's UBEE cable modem from 2009(tutorial how to get into it even if corrupted)

Old October 16th 18, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Diagnosis/conclusion of Skybuck's UBEE cable modem from 2009 (tutorial how to get into it even if corrupted)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:49:21 -0400, Paul wrote:

My guess is, your line needs to be verified by a cable person
coming out in a truck and checking the line. And checking
that the filters are set properly for the service you're
paying for. If an analog cable TV package is part of the
"bundle" you're paying for each month, they should make it work for
you, or, explain what additional equipment is needed.

A new splitter should not make the situation worse.

Connecting it incorrectly would make the situation worse, as one example
(mixing up the input versus the outputs). Or connecting coax cables that
haven't been properly prepared. Check for proper stripping, with no
'stingers' (where a stray shield wire touches the center conductor).
Check that the connectors have been installed properly, and make sure
they're compression fittings and not screw-on, push-on, or crimp
connectors. Make sure the coax is at least RG6 Quad Shield and not RG59.
RG11 would be nice, but overkill.

Other than that, pictures of the splitter appear to indicate that it
uses a form of "push on" connections, rather than threaded connections,
and if that's true, I'd toss it directly into the trash, even if I had
to pay out of pocket for a proper unit.

Old October 16th 18, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

4. Press reset button with a tiny screw driver.

That's the 15-second reset, I hope.

Yes.

I disagree. I'd say the event log is the least interesting of all. I
suggest ignoring the log page because there's nothing useful there. The
most interesting page will be the one with this info (after the modem is
connected to the coax and synced up):

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR
1 Not Locked unknown 329000000 Hz -6.9 dBmV 22.9 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

Correctables Uncorrectables
0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency
Power
1 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Once the coax is reconnected and the modem is fully synced, you'll get
real numbers instead of all those zeros. Only then can you actually see
what's going on.

Unfortunately this will not be possible for me to see. This status screen becomes inaccessible.

However the ISP took a look at it and they say everything looked fine when connected.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 16th 18, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 5:57:09 AM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
[...]

Yes this splitter has "push on" connectors that surprised me too.

When I saw that I kinda new it's not going to work well, cause it looks totally inferior.

The green cable that comes into the appartment is hanging against the wall sort of... inside of this white box. Hope that is not a problem.

This white box/wall socket thing is also a push in.

I pulled it right out when trying to pull out the coax cable leading to the splitter.

This kinda surprised me and maybe the network engineer long ago that installed these units.

The wall socket is kept in place with some metal push in pins instead of screws.

Kinda weird. Doesn't seem to fit properly currently.

I will mess with it some more. I will also ask network engineer if it's possible to replace this wall socket with one that has screws.

There are some holes for screws... but he would have to happen to have a wall socket that matches the screw holes/pins or he would have to drill new screws.

This was kinda underestimated by the guy on the phone.

Curious if this new network engineer will be able of installing a better wall socket.

And if this touching of green cable to wall is a problem. Might this will create a little bit more noise.

However this green cable is probably already touching walls and such. Perhaps the green's cable to wall socket is shady, not yet sure about that.

Let me know if you think that this could be a problem if green cable is touching walls/wall socket and so forth ?

I could even make some pictures with digital camera and post them online...

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 16th 18, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 5:39:08 AM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 16:29:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

(Modem works fine for internetting, just can't get into the menu, resets connections when attempting too, may be a weird DHCP misconfiguration ?!?)

DHCP? Aren't you manually configuring the network (IP, mask, GW, DNS) on
your PC? If so, DHCP is out of the picture.

DHCP is working fine as far as I can tell:

1. Public IP address is assigned to my PC when modem is "properly" connected.

2. Local IP address is assigned to my PC when modem is booting or disconnected.

This last one surprised me a bit.

Modem is at 192.168.1.1 (or at least status pages) and then went on to assign 192.168.1.10 to my computer.

As if it learned that my computer wants to be there... This kinda surprised me a bit.

Anyway, a factory reset should get you back in. You'll know it was a
proper factory reset when you see all of the router config options and
not just the cable modem pages.

I wish it did

The fact I can't get in worries me, I am worried this cable modem is hacked by somebody who may have installed a modified firmware version locking me out.

Or some really screwed up setting is not being set back.

I may try and find the configuration menu/screenshots on the internet and perhaps yet again contact ISP to walk through these menus to see if they can spot something that is off, perhaps they can then correct it.

This may be a lot of work though, even ISP probably doesn't know what all the settings do on these modems... too many models for them to get to know...

Keep in mind that it's entirely possible for the modem and the router to
have separate admin access, each with its own IP.

Hmmm.. so modem on different ip than admin access that what you mean ?

So modem IP A, menu IP B ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 17th 18, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

(Modem works fine for internetting, just can't get into the menu, resets connections when attempting too, may be a weird DHCP misconfiguration ?!?)

DHCP? Aren't you manually configuring the network (IP, mask, GW, DNS) on
your PC? If so, DHCP is out of the picture.

DHCP is working fine as far as I can tell:

1. Public IP address is assigned to my PC when modem is "properly" connected.

2. Local IP address is assigned to my PC when modem is booting or disconnected.

This last one surprised me a bit.

That's standard DOCSIS cable modem behavior.

The fact I can't get in worries me, I am worried this cable modem is hacked by somebody who may have installed a modified firmware version locking me out.

If your ISP tech support won't tell you how to access the device, maybe
there's a forum where you can ask other customers.

Keep in mind that it's entirely possible for the modem and the router to
have separate admin access, each with its own IP.

Hmmm.. so modem on different ip than admin access that what you mean ?

So modem IP A, menu IP B ?

As far as I can tell, it's both a modem and a router, two devices in one
unit, so I'm thinking it's possible that each of those two functions has
its own admin access. If so, there'd be two admin IP addresses, each
with its own username and password. I'm coming to that conclusion
because what you've posted so far is just the cable modem side of the
device and nothing to do with the router. Maybe the router is really at
http://192.168.178.1 after all, while the modem interface is at
http://192.168.100.1.

Old October 17th 18, 05:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Today I performed some more tests, from wi-fi hotspot to somewhere else/cable modem.

From these test I learned that windows security center and windows firewall must be running (with that the services I mean)

If windows firewall is off (with this I mean the windows firewall is stopped) then inbound connections udp and tcp apperently don't work.

Why this is I will have too look into, perhaps this is some windows security feature or architectural thing.

So far everything is working as normal, which is good news.

(At least when marvel adapter is used).

Bye,
Skybuck.