Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

Old July 31st 17, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

This CPU comes with some kind of bracket to mount existing coolers.

This has me worried a bit. Their previous AMD X2 3800+ plastic design fractured because of metal screws into plastic causing micro fractures which eventually tore itself apart because of fan vibrations.

Perhaps with liquid cooling things will be different but it does have me worried a bit.

Anybody have a picture or link to this bracket ?

Is it the same weak design as this one at 6:40 for AM4 socket ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YHr1DyMw&t=400s

Seems to be plastic and super thin/fracture-prone.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 31st 17, 09:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

This CPU comes with some kind of bracket to mount existing coolers.

This has me worried a bit. Their previous AMD X2 3800+ plastic design fractured because of metal screws into plastic causing micro fractures which eventually tore itself apart because of fan vibrations.

Perhaps with liquid cooling things will be different but it does have me worried a bit.

Anybody have a picture or link to this bracket ?

Is it the same weak design as this one at 6:40 for AM4 socket ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YHr1DyMw&t=400s

Seems to be plastic and super thin/fracture-prone.

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think ThreadRipper uses a much bigger socket, the backplate,
the socket itself, and the air coolers made for it, are all
"metal and threaded holes". Noctua has some air coolers for it.
It there's an in-box AIO liquid cooler, it'll mount to the
metal screw-holes.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cas..._cpu_coolers/1

Paul
Old August 4th 17, 11:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

This CPU comes with some kind of bracket to mount existing coolers.

This has me worried a bit. Their previous AMD X2 3800+ plastic design fractured because of metal screws into plastic causing micro fractures which eventually tore itself apart because of fan vibrations.

Perhaps with liquid cooling things will be different but it does have me worried a bit.

Anybody have a picture or link to this bracket ?

Is it the same weak design as this one at 6:40 for AM4 socket ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YHr1DyMw&t=400s

Seems to be plastic and super thin/fracture-prone.

Bye,
Skybuck.

The liquid cooler bracket shown here, is lightweight, because
the water block would not have a lot of mass. You only need
enough normal-force ("down force") to keep the cooler in
contact with the CPU, if the computer case gets kicked.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11689/...ipper-unboxing

"The box also contains a bracket for Asetek liquid coolers
to fit, and a Torx Screwdriver."

A massive air cooler is going to have a heavy duty mounting.

And even then, you can take some of the strain off, by propping
up the cooler.

You can see in the picture here, Asetek just loves plastic. No
matter how big the contract. That's an example of liquid cooling
for a quad socket server.

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/pi...3_Asetek_0.jpg

*******

When the ThreadRipper actually starts to ship, I would
expect the box to have fewer items in it. The above fancy
kit, is for up to 250 reviewers to play with.

The reason for needing an Asetek bracket, is because the bracket
that comes with your Asetek previously would not work. And that
bracket in the above article, has the holes positioned for that
big TR4 socket. The AM4 version would have different mounting
hole positions.

Paul
Old August 11th 17, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 31/07/2017 3:30 AM, wrote:
Fragile AMD Threadripper cooler bracket ?

This CPU comes with some kind of bracket to mount existing coolers.

Not just any old coolers, but very specifically water cooler blocks made
by Asetek and rebranded by its OEM's. It's not for use with any other
water coolers, and definitely not for air coolers. The air coolers
specifically designed for it are coming in the future, and they will fit
directly on the threadripper mounting screws, or they may come with
their own adapter brackets. Here's a picture of it:

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/img/2...ripper-2_0.jpg

This has me worried a bit. Their previous AMD X2 3800+ plastic design fractured because of metal screws into plastic causing micro fractures which eventually tore itself apart because of fan vibrations.

Perhaps with liquid cooling things will be different but it does have me worried a bit.

Nothing to be worried about, it may not even be required by you when you
get one. By then likely there will either be Threadripper specific water
cooler blocks, or specific air coolers available.

Anybody have a picture or link to this bracket ?

Is it the same weak design as this one at 6:40 for AM4 socket ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YHr1DyMw&t=400s

Seems to be plastic and super thin/fracture-prone.

Yes, it's similar, but it hardly looks fragile, but the Threadripper
version is made of metal.

Yousuf Khan

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop