Printers survive 83 alone

Old June 12th 17, 07:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Boris[_5_]

Default Printers survive 83 alone

Lucifer Morningstar wrote in
:

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:46:15 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 15:30:36 +1000, Lucifer Morningstar
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:03:42 +1200, Frank Williams
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 11:42:35 -0400, Alek
wrote:

micky wrote on 3/6/2017 11:03 AM:
I might have posted here 3 months ago looking for help on how to
schedule a print job for every month I was gone, so my inkjet
printer heads wouldn't dry out. I spend over an hour the night
before I left trying to write a bat file that woudl do this, but
I failed^^.

So I was very happy when I returned, printed a test pattern I'd
downloaded 3 months ago, and it came out just about perfect.

All the more strange since the black and yellow? heads on one of
them had dried out in February and I had to soak them in alcohol
with a paper towel slipped under the heads. (The process worked
well. Details on request).
Requesting details, please.

To stop your print heads from drying out make sure that the
printer is OFF, not at the Wall at the printer, as this caps the
pint heads.

I brought a Epson R390 recently, had been stored for 2 years,
replaced a faulty cartridge that was locking up the printer, the
printer prints OK after 2 year in storage.

Having the printer turned on causes the print heads to dry out, as
they are not capped.
I was given a nice ink jet printer with five ink cartridges.
It had been stored so long even the unopened cartridges were
useless.

I suppose a laser printer could be stored forever due to not having
any ink, or could the drum or toner be damaged?
Can the toner absorb moisture? I just switched on my Brother Laser
printer and the toner light is flashing even though it printed a
test page OK and it shows 50% toner remaining. The weather has been
very damp lately.

Update. The toner light has gone out presumably due to the toner
drying out.

******* begin quote *******
a. Do not take a new toner cartridge out of the protective bag
until it is ready to be used.

b. When you take the toner cartridge out of the printer for
servicing the printer or other purposes, place the toner cartridge
into the original protective bag, or wrap it with a thick cloth
immediately. [Light-sensitive belt...]

c. Do not place it vertically or upside-down. Store the toner
cartridge
in the same orientation as when installed in the printer. [Toner
leakage...]

d. Do not store the toner cartridge in a place exposed to direct
sunlight.
[Light-sensitive belt...]

e. Do not store cartridges in a hot or humid place, or a place where
the
temperature and humidity can change significantly.

Storing environment temperatu 0 to 35°C (32 to 95°F) ---
[pretty low temp limit!!!] Storing humidity range: 35 to 85 % RH
(no condensation)

f. Do not store the toner cartridge in a place where corrosive gases,
such as ammonia, are generated, or where a considerable amount of
salt is contained in the air, or where there is a lot of dust.
[So no lasers at the seashore.]
******* end quote *******

The 85% RH is pretty generous, the temperature range, not so much.

You can see in some of the text in this patent, which direction
the design of toner is headed in. According to this, they're trying
to push toner down to lower-temperature fusing, which may account
for the low storage temperature in the above quoted text.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0131652.html

The patent content helps fill in some of the less-defined
details in this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toner

While the outside layer of the toner particle may be
the same as in previous generations, the composition
can be quite a bit more complex. Maybe it's the color
toner that has all the technical innovation ?

Paul

Is it OK if the toner light on my Brother monochrome laser
printer flashes for a short while and should I wait for the
toner light to go out before printing?

I have a Brother HL-2700DW monochrome laser printer. I've had it for
years and really like it. At any rate, when my toner light goes on, it
won't print, I take the cartridge out and gently shake from left to
right, on a horizontal plane, and reinstall. This always gives more
life, and I keep doing the shake routine until the thing is dead.
Old June 14th 17, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

Frank Williams wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 14:47:26 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 17:06:42 -0400, micky
wrote:

I agree with you. I don't know why I bought the Epson, since it
doesn't have that. I think I was impressed by all the features for only
$100, and I kept thinking about it.

Ink jet printers are cheap to buy, but expensive to use, since the ink
cartridges cost a lot. They're like razors--cheap to buy, but the
company makes its money selling you blades.

As far as I'm concerned, ink-jets are a bad bargain. Lasers are much
better; they cost more in the short run, but less in the long run.

But not Photo grade, the only true inkjet's is a Epson all others are
bubble jets

Somewhat misleading.
HP used the word inkjet long before Epson. Canon are the only manufacturer to
use the word bubblejet.
Most manufacturers use thermal energy to force the ink through the printhead
nozzles. HP, Canon and others do it this way.
Epson, who also use the word inkjet, use piezo technology to do the same thing;
so the ink is "squeezed" through the nozzles without the application of heat.
To say they are the only true inkjet is not correct. The terms inkjet and
bublejet are simply marketing words and do not refer to the technology.
Tony

Old June 14th 17, 02:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Lucifer Morningstar[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 18:03:38 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Lucifer Morningstar wrote in
:

Is it OK if the toner light on my Brother monochrome laser
printer flashes for a short while and should I wait for the
toner light to go out before printing?

I have a Brother HL-2700DW monochrome laser printer. I've had it for
years and really like it. At any rate, when my toner light goes on, it
won't print, I take the cartridge out and gently shake from left to
right, on a horizontal plane, and reinstall. This always gives more
life, and I keep doing the shake routine until the thing is dead.

If I tap the large blue button on mine three times and click my
heels it prints a page showing much information including
remaining toner and drum life. That page prints correctly
when the toner light is flashing and it shows around 50%
toner life left. It has printed 780 A4 pages and the toner
has been replaced once.
I bought it used and have not even looked inside.
Old June 16th 17, 08:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Char Jackson

wrote:

I agree with you. I don't know why I bought the Epson, since it
doesn't have that. I think I was impressed by all the features for only
$100, and I kept thinking about it.

Ink jet printers are cheap to buy, but expensive to use, since the ink
cartridges cost a lot. They're like razors--cheap to buy, but the
company makes its money selling you blades.

As far as I'm concerned, ink-jets are a bad bargain. Lasers are much
better; they cost more in the short run, but less in the long run.

I totally agree.

My laser printer recently died*, so I'm temporarily back to using an old
Epson inkjet that I had removed from service and stuffed into a cabinet
back when I bought my first laser unit. I removed the old ink cartridges
and installed 'new' ones, making a note of the "best if used by" date,
which was July 2005! It prints as well as it ever did, but I'm eager to
get back to a laser unit. I was surprised, though, to see 12 year old
ink work.

*Saying the laser unit died sort of implies that I don't know what
happened to it. Simply put, the magenta toner had some 'rocks' (fused
chunks of toner) that jammed up the auger. Technically, that doesn't
break anything because the gear-driven auger has a clutch incorporated
into the gear assembly, but getting access to the auger and removing the
stones took the better part of about 12 hours, and as I sat there,
pondering the hundreds of pieces that I now had to reassemble, I said
"forget it", or words that start with those letters, and scooped the
whole mess into the trash.

Old June 16th 17, 09:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rene Lamontagne

wrote:

[...]

I got totally fed up with inkjet ink prices about 8 years ago and bought
an Okidata color Laser C5150n model, I don't use original toner carts
they are way too expensive, But I have found Media Sciences brand new
carts for about $135.00 cdn for a full set of four CMYK the 5000 page
size and a set lasts me about 2 years.
Since I no longer do photo work the Fine settig gives me quite
acceptable output. not quite photo quality.
I tried refilling once and the refill toner ruined my Magenta image drum
assembly so I decided to try and repair it with a new doctor blade kit.
Took it all apart very carefully and had the table covered with
literally hundreds of parts!!!
Tried to reassemble it but had too many parts left over.......... So I
chucked it in the garbage and bought a new drum Assy for about $$122.00.
Lesson learned, No more refilling Toner carts.
Char Jacksons post brought this all back to mind. Much the same
experience. :-)

Rene

Old June 16th 17, 10:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Gene Wirchenko[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:35:04 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

[snip]

*Saying the laser unit died sort of implies that I don't know what
happened to it. Simply put, the magenta toner had some 'rocks' (fused

Nah. It just means you are not getting into the details.

chunks of toner) that jammed up the auger. Technically, that doesn't
break anything because the gear-driven auger has a clutch incorporated
into the gear assembly, but getting access to the auger and removing the
stones took the better part of about 12 hours, and as I sat there,
pondering the hundreds of pieces that I now had to reassemble, I said
"forget it", or words that start with those letters, and scooped the
whole mess into the trash.

My inkjet printer recently failed by refusing to grab the paper.

Murphy struck: the failure occurred when I really wanted the
output and did not have time to deal with the problem before going to
a meeting.

In the end, I was fortunate: I just needed to clean the rollers.

I was concerned that I might have to replace the printer, because
I had a Dell laser printer that died -- something in the feed
mechanism that made it uneconomical to repair -- after 1.2 toner
cartridges. My Dell computer died about three months later. I
strongly doubt I will ever buy another Dell.

I had another inkjet printer die on me similarly. I ended up
just replacing it. The printer was only about C$120 so any repair
would not have been worth it.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Old June 17th 17, 07:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Andy[_17_]

Ink if sealed and kept stored right will last many years i have ink older
then youre's and it works fine but don't tell that to HP they say it cant
work it's to old HA.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Old June 17th 17, 02:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Char Jackson

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:49:49 -0700, Gene Wirchenko
wrote:

I had another inkjet printer die on me similarly. I ended up
just replacing it. The printer was only about C$120 so any repair
would not have been worth it.

My inkjet printer is a temporary solution until I get around to buying a
replacement color laser. It's an Epson R220 that I got for $30-$35 about
a dozen years ago. A local store was discontinuing them and put them on
sale for $35. Knowing that they come with a set of genuine Epson ink
cartridges, which cost way more than that, I bought 5 or 6 printers just
to get the ink. A few days later, as a final closeout price, they
dropped down to $30 and I went back to get the rest of what they had. I
ended up with 12, I think. I immediately gave 3 away to family members
and a close friend, but I scavenged the ink from the rest. All but two
of the now-inkless printers went immediately to Goodwill, leaving me
with two printers and a bunch of ink. That's why I have ink that's so
old.

Old June 17th 17, 04:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Char Jackson

wrote:

[...]

I just bought an Epson ET-3600, with ink bottles feeding tanks which
feed the print heads. The ink that comes with is supposedly the
equivalent of "up to" 200 sets of cartridges, so I figure around 150 is
good estimate. Anyhow, brings inkjet cost into the same range as colour
laser. Bigger than what I've got, need to make room for it now....

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-EcoTank.../dp/B01IH2KM5K

I expected to hate it, but it's not as bad as I expected. :-)
Surely not my cup of tea, but I see some of its benefits.