Network printer made wireless?

Old July 7th 14, 02:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

Default Network printer made wireless?

From: "Ed Pawlowski"

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:53:51 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If I go to the printer properties, it shows I'm using a USB virtual
printer port. It also has a selection of TCP/IP ports listed. What
happens if I select one of those?

Try it but it would seem to me that a TCP?IP port is more likely to be a
network port than anything reporting itself as USB. After all your
computers will will be trying to communicate using TCPIP

Right. I should have pointed out, right now I have the printer
connected directly to the main desktop computer, thus the USB
connection.

We are goind to change that to an IP address in the 192.168.0.x address
space AFTER you set the statically set the IP address such as in my example
of 192.168.0.5

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old July 7th 14, 03:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bennett

Just a guess, not very likely, but could the cable between printer and
Uverse be a cross-over cable while you need a plain old Ethernet
cable 1-1 2-2 3-3 6-6

On 7/5/2014 1:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I have an HP Laserjet1505n It is a network printer and has worked
fine with the Ethernet plugged into the router. We can all print to
it from the assorted computers in the house.

ATT finally got me to switch to U-Verse for phone and internet. Big
mistake it seems. They gave me a new router to use. It has four ports
so like before, I plugged in the two desktops and the printer. The
printer is not recognized. When I print a test sheet, it gives
0.0.0.0 as the IP address. Window 7 printer install cannot find it.

I have spent hours on the phone with ATT support but got nowhere. I'm
thinking the simple solution may be to buy a wireless print serve and
let it connect wirelessly instead of with Ethernet. It does not have
built in wireless capability.

I'm thinking of this or one like it
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wirel...int+server+usb

Suggestions or comments welcome.

Old July 7th 14, 10:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:42:02 -0700, Bennett
wrote:

Just a guess, not very likely, but could the cable between printer and
Uverse be a cross-over cable while you need a plain old Ethernet
cable 1-1 2-2 3-3 6-6

AFAIK, it is a plain cable. I even tried a different one in case it
had a bad connector.
Old July 11th 14, 10:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

In article ,
From: "Ed Pawlowski"

New is a Motorola NVG510
Old is Netgear DGN2000

On occasion, one of the computers would not print unless the printer
was re-installed. Could that be because the dynamic TCP/IP changed?

Thanks for your help and explanation.
Ed

The Netgear DGN2000 uses 192.168.0.x and the new uses 192.168.1.x. Thus
different sub-nets.

Therefore the printer needs to be configured for an address on 192.168.0.x.
For example statically set to; 192.168.0.5.

Once that is done, create or modify a TCP/IP Printer Port, on each computer,
that points to the IP address (such as 192.168.0.5 in my example) and the
computers will be able to print to it.

If you give the printer a static address inside the address range that
the router distributes via DHCP, there's going to be a problem as soon as
the router gives out that address to some device. Two solutions come to
mind:

1. The router might only pick addresses in the range x.y.z.foo to
x.y.z.bar to give out, or you can make it do so. In this case, give
the printer any address from x.y.z.bar+1 to x.y.z.254.

2. The router might give out any address in the whole x.y.z.* subnet
(and you can't change that) or you just might prefer setting your
printer's address on the router. In this case, tell the printer to
use DHCP, and note its MAC address (6 pairs of hex digits, usually
separated by colons). Tell the router that the printer's MAC address
is to be assigned to one particular chosen address. Most routers
support static assignment in this manner.

--
-eben P ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
Old July 13th 14, 02:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Hactar"

In article ,
From: "Ed Pawlowski"

New is a Motorola NVG510
[...]

Not true. DHCP and its parent BootP will not assign an address if it sees
that address is already in use.

Using a static IP on an appliance is always preferred. There will not be a
problem and if you have managed as many LANs as I have, you would know that.
Additionally one also will create a pattern such x.y.z.2 ~ x.y.z.49 will
be static assignments and all addresses from x.y.z.50 ~ x.y.z.254 are
dynamically assigned. One may also come up with a range for BootP/TFTP.
For example Print Server with the MAC AA:BB:CCD:11:22 will be assigned IP
address x.y.z.99 and would thent load a specific control script providing
SNMP, access control lists, and other configuration information.

Old July 13th 14, 06:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

In article ,
From: "Hactar"

In article ,
From: "Ed Pawlowski"

New is a Motorola NVG510
[...]

Maybe. If the device does pick an address, IME it usually isn't one in
your subnet unless you've told it a fallback somewhere.

Using a static IP on an appliance is always preferred. There will not be a
problem and if you have managed as many LANs as I have, you would know that.
Additionally one also will create a pattern such x.y.z.2 ~ x.y.z.49 will
be static assignments and all addresses from x.y.z.50 ~ x.y.z.254 are
dynamically assigned.

Yes, that was case 1. If you'd read as much as I wrote, you'd kwow that.

One may also come up with a range for BootP/TFTP.
For example Print Server with the MAC AA:BB:CCD:11:22 will be assigned IP
address x.y.z.99 and would thent load a specific control script providing
SNMP, access control lists, and other configuration information.

Most home setups don't involve SNMP or config scripts.

Old July 13th 14, 12:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
David H. Lipman wrote:
Tell the router that the printer's MAC address is to be assigned to one
particular chosen address. Most routers support static assignment in
this manner

Yup, that's the way to do it. It's what I had to do here. One of my PC's
was forever loosing my Dell 2330 till I did that.

--
Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
Old July 13th 14, 01:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Hactar"

In article ,
From: "Hactar"

In article ,
From: "Ed Pawlowski"

New is a Motorola NVG510
[...]

But still use the TCP/IP protocol and it is 'comp.periphs.printers' not
'comp.home-periphs.printers'.

Old July 18th 14, 06:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
David H. Lipman wrote:
Tell the router that the printer's MAC address is to be assigned to one
particular chosen address. Most routers support static assignment in
this manner

Yup, that's the way to do it. It's what I had to do here. One of my PC's
was forever loosing my Dell 2330 till I did that.

I'm sure David Lipman is a nice guy, but I don't speak for him.

Old July 28th 14, 02:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Ed Pawlowski"

Much time has transpired so I'll presume all is OK.