PfSense or MonoWall vs. DD-WRT or Tomato?

Old May 13th 11, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default PfSense or MonoWall vs. DD-WRT or Tomato?

Has anyone here worked with these? I am wondering if it would be more
interesting to set up pfSense on an old pc or to buy an old Linksys
router and try DD-WRT. I would like to have better real-time awareness
of the traffic on my home network. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PfSense
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT
Old May 15th 11, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Fri, 13 May 2011 06:52:46 -0700, Davej rearranged some electrons to
say:

Has anyone here worked with these? I am wondering if it would be more
interesting to set up pfSense on an old pc or to buy an old Linksys
router and try DD-WRT. I would like to have better real-time awareness
of the traffic on my home network. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PfSense
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 on a Linksys WRT54G so that I can use it as a
wireless bridge (a mode which is not supported by the factory Linksys
firmware). I have two WRT54Gs: one is connected to my broadband service
and actually acts as a router. It has the factory Linksys firmware in
it. The other one is down in the basement, providing a wired network
there, and it is running DD-WRT in client bridge mode, so the computers
in the basement have seamless access to the broadband service.
Old May 19th 11, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On May 15, 5:42*am, david wrote:
[...]

Well, I just ordered a new WRT54GL from NewEgg so I'll be trying out
DD-WRT next week. I don't even want wireless so that feature will be
turned off.