OT Google requires sign-in to use the UseNet archive?

Old April 30th 11, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default OT Google requires sign-in to use the UseNet archive?

I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.
Old April 30th 11, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John Doe wrote:
I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.

I've never needed an account to use this. This is what
I use, to (try to) search the USENET archives.

http://groups.google.com/

What URL are you using ?

Paul
Old April 30th 11, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&so...OGY43QmIYSHcVw

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old April 30th 11, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&so...OGY43QmIYSHcVw

I forgot that Google also offers disposable email addresses.

Old April 30th 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_4_]

Man-wai Chang wrote:
I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.

I forgot that Google also offers disposable email addresses.

Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.

Jon

Old April 30th 11, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.

I've never needed an account to use this. This is what
I use, to (try to) search the USENET archives.

http://groups.google.com/

What URL are you using ?

Recently, I had signed into YouTube. Apparently they are requiring
a Google account now. Maybe it had something to do with that.
Surging Google's copy of the UseNet archive would not send me to
the archive search results page, instead it went to a Google sign
in page. After I provided the e-mail address (strangely, it had
entered my password but not my e-mail address), I was able to get
to the search results just fine. So apparently it was not a
mirage. Maybe that had something to do with having signed into
YouTube through Google.

Currently, the archive appears to be working/malfunctioning normally
hear.

Thanks to the replies.

Paul

Old May 1st 11, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.

How about Yahoo?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.38.4
^ ^ 16:54:02 up 6 days 20:55 1 user load average: 1.28 1.14 1.11
Old May 1st 11, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_4_]

Man-wai Chang wrote:
Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.

How about Yahoo?

I haven't been prompted to use a RL connection with yahoo. I do know that
at one time they requested you provide an alternate email address, but you
can use your yahoo one with that.

Jon

Old May 5th 11, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil[_3_]

On 30 Apr 2011, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Recently, I had signed into YouTube. Apparently they are requiring
a Google account now. Maybe it had something to do with that.
Surging Google's copy of the UseNet archive would not send me to
the archive search results page, instead it went to a Google sign
in page. After I provided the e-mail address (strangely, it had
entered my password but not my e-mail address), I was able to get
to the search results just fine. So apparently it was not a
mirage. Maybe that had something to do with having signed into
YouTube through Google.

You do not need a Google account to view google groups, only to post.
It's always been that way.

You do not need a Google account to view Youtube. It's always been that
way.
Old May 5th 11, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe

Nil rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

Recently, I had signed into YouTube. Apparently they are
requiring a Google account now. Maybe it had something to do
with that. Surging Google's copy of the UseNet archive would
not send me to the archive search results page, instead it went
to a Google sign in page. After I provided the e-mail address
(strangely, it had entered my password but not my e-mail
address), I was able to get to the search results just fine. So
apparently it was not a mirage. Maybe that had something to do
with having signed into YouTube through Google.

You do not need a Google account to view google groups,

I wasn't talking about viewing google groups, I was talking about
searching Google's copy of the UseNet archive.

You do not need a Google account to view Youtube.

I said "signed into YouTube".

Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem, Boy.

From: Nil rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 20:55:13 -0400