How much force is needed to lock the i7-970 CPU in place?

Old November 21st 10, 12:57 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Peter Jason

Default How much force is needed to lock the i7-970 CPU in place?

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard and I have just
inserted the i7-970 CPU, carefully following the
instructions outlined in the motherboard and the Intel CPU's
handbooks.

The procedure is simple enough given that the CPU fits into
its place only one way, but the force required to lock down
the little black curved-end lever seems extremeley high and
I'm worried about some damage done to the CPU which looks
rather flimsy.

The short video on the Intel website.....
http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-031463.htm
.....shows the method plainly enough but makes no comment
on the force required.

PJ

Old November 21st 10, 04:54 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Peter Jason wrote:
I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard and I have just
inserted the i7-970 CPU, carefully following the
instructions outlined in the motherboard and the Intel CPU's
handbooks.

The procedure is simple enough given that the CPU fits into
its place only one way, but the force required to lock down
the little black curved-end lever seems extremeley high and
I'm worried about some damage done to the CPU which looks
rather flimsy.

The short video on the Intel website.....
http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-031463.htm
.....shows the method plainly enough but makes no comment
on the force required.

May depend on the mobo, I've had some which took a lot of force, my most recent
took very little. Depends on the socket brand used, I bet.
Old November 23rd 10, 05:02 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Peter Jason

"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I've spent some time watching UTube instructions on
the CPU installation and indeed the tutor often mentions
that the lock-down lever requires "some force", and indeed
the lever does have a slight bow in it afterwards. Very
reassuring.