laptop mini-pci wifi card - Atheros

Old February 11th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k

Default laptop mini-pci wifi card - Atheros

"Jerry Peters" wrote in message
In alt.internet.wireless ps56k wrote:
We currently have Dell internal 1300 mini-pci (not express) wifi cards
in our Dell laptops. They use the Broadcom chipset.

We can see a couple of nearby WAPs.
My wife's Fujitsu laptop - with an Atheros internal card -
can see about 12 nearby WAPs...

I'm wondering about getting an Atheros card for our laptop
to see if the sensitivity is actually better ?

This was one of the few places I could find it -
http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/MiniPCI-...duct_info.html

comments ?

Which Dell laptops? Some of them have the antennas at the sides as
part of the speaker assemblies (C600 for example). Other makers seem
to place the antennas somewhere in the display, typically at the sides
near the top.

Perhaps the Fujitsu has better antennas or better situated antennas.

Good point on the antenna placement -
hmmm - with the Fujitsu being a tablet,
I'll have to try with the screen up or down and see if the orientation
matters...

We have the Dell C610 - a couple of them in the house -
the internal mini-pci wifi board is the Dell branded 1350 (?)
with the actual marking - Broadcom BCM94306MP

Old February 11th 09, 01:17 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

ps56k wrote:
[...]

The placement of the antennae inside a laptop is very important! Older
Dell laptops like the black Latitude C-series (and their evil Inspiron
twins) and the Latitude 100L (and its twin Inspiron 11xx and sibling
Inspiron 51xx models) all have the two antennae going out to the sides
of the bottom chassis.

Many newer laptop run the antenna wires up into the two sides of the LCD
screen for better reception. This complicates any disassembly and
repair a little bit for Dell systems (pretty good
design-for-maintenance) and makes the HPaq systems a screaming royal
pain-in-the-ass to repair.

It is more likely that the difference in reception has to do with
placement of the antennae than the wifi card itself. Still, I have seen
a difference in wifi coverage between Intel and Broadcom chips in the
same laptop, Intel being better. I have a lot less experience with
Atheros cards, which are used more on Toshiba, HPaq, (as you note)
Fujitsu and maybe other brands... Ben Myers
Old February 11th 09, 05:44 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:17:56 -0500, Ben Myers
wrote:

The placement of the antennae inside a laptop is very important!

Lots of ways to do it wrong. Here's a photo of a Compaq 2120US laptop
with the antennas hung on the hinges:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/laptops/slides/compaq-2120us.html
It barely works.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old February 11th 09, 10:42 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jerry Peters

[...]

Yep, antennas at the front of the keyboard unit along the sides near
the speakers (actully part of the assembly that holds the speaker in
place.

The Atheros in my Aspire 1 sees at least twice as many AP's as the
Airlink AWLL3026 USB adapter I'm using on this Latitude C600. An
Atheros based Cardbus card also seems to be more sensitive.

Jerry