Epson Photo Stylus 1200.

Old April 11th 08, 07:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Epson Photo Stylus 1200.

tomm42 wrote:

On Apr 10, 6:31 pm, measekite wrote:

tomm42 wrote:

Measekite. Back in 1999 when I bought my Epson 9000, a 44 inch printer, admittedly knowing not much about LF printing. The Epson OEM ink for this printer at Wilhelm's most optomistic was 2 years, couldn't do what I wanted to with that admittedly short lasting ink. So I switched to an ink call Pinnacle Gold by American Ink Jet. There was a couple of tests on it in Wilhelm, about 50 years with a FA paper. I quickly learned how to linearize and profile papers. I also learned how to test as this was a dye based ink with all the paper ink problems that go with dye based inks. Luckily I had a south facing picture window with at least 8 hrs of sun a day, not scientific at all but I knew if a print lasted several weeks in the window no one would be coming after me for faded images. One bad experience I was using a canvas that was treating me well and the manufacturer discontinued it. I was right in the middle of printing some 40x60 canvases for an artist. A month after changing canvases in that job the artist was back wondering why half his canvases had faded, hadn't had a chance to test. The only canvas I could find that the dealer would say would last with dye inks was canvas for an IRIS printer at 3X what I paid for the original, but it worked. Other owners went to 3rd party pigment inks, by Media Street, MIS and Bull Dog but they had more clogging problems. No one I knew ever used Epson ink in the 9000. Just useing 3rd party inks as a necessity.

Tom

Tom I do not own an Epson printer. I prefer Canon. However, the Epson 3800 appears to be maybe a little bit better than the Canon 5100 but that is based on Epson standing behind their printer a little better then Canon as far as warranty. However, with the Ultrachrome K3 ink there is not aftermarket crap that can come close. But Pantone may be an alternative but it too is expensive. Luminous Landscape recently tested the large format 17" and wider printers (HP, Epson, and Canon) and while they saw differences in results they were based on taste and not quality. Basically they determined that the quality from all were about equal. However the specifically mentioned the BW quality of the Epson. You will hear from many idiots that buy the garbage stuff and have all sorts of problems on this ng. I enjoy reading about their troubles. They do deserve it.

Hey as I said in my earlier post I really like my iPF5000, always nice prints, very little fuss. I'd do Canon over Epson again, though I didn't buy a Canon for work, I should have. Canon now covers their head and ink tanks with the first years warranty, a major overlook on their initial warranty. But they don't cover heads in their extended warranties, I have had wide format printers as I said since 1999, the extended warranties are almost a necessity if someting goes wrong with the printer. If a head goes down on an Epson it would be more expensive to replace than the $900 for the two Canon heads. Based on fees the repair services charge, including travel charges. Though with a 3800 you may be able to ship it to a service center. After having gone through trying to get the best prints possible with 3rd party inks I do have to admit enjoying "well the prints aren't as good but I'm saving money".

I am glad you said that.  I have been saying that for a while but the moronic idiots who keep posting in this ng like the holier than thou admonish me when I say the same thing.  It is nice to see someone else say the same thing.

I have always said that if you print a great deal the risk of head clogging is lower.  Furthermore I said that if you want to trade a higher risk of fading and are willing to exchange lower quality for spending less on ink and you want to deal with the aftermarket vendors then make that choice but do not complain when you have a problem.

Happy printing Tom

Epson Stylus Photo 1200 John Vanini Printers 9 December 2nd 06 12:09 PM
epson stylus photo 1200 Sligo Printers 3 December 1st 04 05:09 PM
epson stylus photo 1200 Jim Printers 8 April 24th 04 10:44 PM
Epson Stylus Photo 1200 Printer sualk General Hardware 0 December 28th 03 01:40 PM
Epson Stylus Photo 1200 Peter hicks Printers 1 August 9th 03 10:43 PM