Walgreens Cart Refill for Epson?

Old March 22nd 08, 05:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Walgreens Cart Refill for Epson?

GMAN wrote:

In article , boyhowdy wrote:

gmark wrote:

I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of cartridges. Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Refilling, the big mess saves nothing.

Bull****, I have refilled my HP 96 carts 6 times each. That has saved me at least $20'ish each time!!!

Not really.  This is the way you are thinking.  You have an opportunity to buy a dozen apples for $5.00.  Instead you buy a dozen oranges for $3.00.  You then boast that you saved $2.00.  What a joke.  You spent less but saved nothing.  You did not get the same thing.

When you buy an new HP cart you get a new printhead and genuine HP ink.  Instead you spend less and have a used HP printhead and some no name ink that is not as good.

The fact that you are satisfied getting less and spending less is another story.

You will spend less and get

less. The only way to save on ink is to get the mfg OEM ink from some vendor who charges less than another vendor.

Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge or some other mechanism that could cause problems? I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

If you do not care about quality then the only thing you should be concerned about when spending less is that the crap ink will not clog the printer.

Not an issue with HP printers, no head to clog on the printer. And if the refill fails on the 4-8th time, i just toss the cart.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job? Is the savings worth it,

Probably not unless you print a great deal.

and how many times can I refill the same cartridge?

6-8 times with the HP 96/97 carts

Thx! Mark

Old March 23rd 08, 03:10 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Jerry wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message ...

Why do you reply this time in plain text and then reply again in 1 hour in HTML?

Why is the sky blue

Old March 23rd 08, 05:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

GMAN wrote:

Bull****, I have refilled my HP 96 carts 6 times each. That has saved me at
least $20'ish each time!!!

Gman, please read enough on this NG and learn about the unique
differences between HP and other brands of printers as regards their ink
feed, formulation, and print head requirements before submitting a post
like this.

The OP is asking about Epson, which is a substantially different breed
than HP. Epsons, in general, are famous for clogging; bad clogging. The
models intended for "Durabrite" ink are famous in this NG for this
problem. Arthur has pointed out many times that such printers will
perform a lot better when refilled with dye-based ink rather than the
pigment-based ink they were originally intended for. The user may suffer
a loss in image permanence, but permanence is of no use when the machine
won't print at all.

That's the issue: what kind of ink does Walgreens use when filling these
cartridges? I have no idea.

Richard
Old March 23rd 08, 06:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GMAN[_4_]

In article , Richard Steinfeld wrote:
GMAN wrote:

Bull****, I have refilled my HP 96 carts 6 times each. That has saved me at
least $20'ish each time!!!

Gman, please read enough on this NG and learn about the unique
differences between HP and other brands of printers as regards their ink
feed, formulation, and print head requirements before submitting a post
like this.

Who are you to assume i dont know this? Arrogant arent we?

The OP is asking about Epson, which is a substantially different breed
than HP. Epsons, in general, are famous for clogging; bad clogging. The
models intended for "Durabrite" ink are famous in this NG for this
problem. Arthur has pointed out many times that such printers will
perform a lot better when refilled with dye-based ink rather than the
pigment-based ink they were originally intended for. The user may suffer
a loss in image permanence, but permanence is of no use when the machine
won't print at all.

That's the issue: what kind of ink does Walgreens use when filling these
cartridges? I have no idea.

Richard

Well allright then Dad!
Old March 23rd 08, 04:02 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Jolly Roger[_3_]

In article ,
measekite wrote:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"
br
br
Jerry wrote:
blockquote "
type="cite"
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap="""measekite" a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
"<inkystinky@oe m.com>/a wrote in
message
a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
"news:3eREj.1443$p24.815@nl
pi061.nbdc.sbc.com/a...
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----
Why do you reply this time in plain text and then reply again in 1 hour in
HTML?
/pre
/blockquote
Why is the sky bluebr
blockquote "
type="cite"
pre wrap=""

/pre
/blockquote
/body
/html

You really expect people to wade through this HTML crap to read your
posts?

You, sir, are an idiot.

--
Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail sent to
this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. I do not

JR
Old March 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
GMAN wrote:

Bull****, I have refilled my HP 96 carts 6 times each. That has
saved me at least $20'ish each time!!!

Gman, please read enough on this NG and learn about the unique
differences between HP and other brands of printers as regards their
ink feed, formulation, and print head requirements before submitting a
post like this.

The OP is asking about Epson, which is a substantially different breed
than HP. Epsons, in general, are famous for clogging; bad clogging.
The models intended for "Durabrite" ink are famous in this NG for this
problem.

The newer Epson printers do not use Durabrite ink. For photos Epson
printers as well as Canon are superior to HP. HP does somewhat better
for business printing. I know since I own and use both.
Arthur

has his opinions and does not know any more than others.,
has pointed out many times that such printers will perform a lot
better when refilled with dye-based ink rather than the pigment-based
ink they were originally intended for. The user may suffer a loss in
image permanence, but permanence is of no use when the machine won't
print at all.

That's the issue: what kind of ink does Walgreens use when filling
these cartridges? I have no idea.

Neither does the Walgreen employee.

Richard

Old March 23rd 08, 09:43 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Jolly Roger[_3_]

In article ,
measekite wrote:

You need to upgrade your computer software and join 21st century
computing.

"Upgrade" to Thunderbird? Heh... Not likely, twerp. MT-NewsWatcher
runs circles around most other news readers. And the fact that your
beloved Thunderbird allows dumb ****s like you to post HTML to Usenet
makes it that much more unlikely it will ever see the light of day on
this computer.

This is Usenet, asshole. HTML is for web pages. Nobody here will bother
to read your dumbass HTML posts. Mission ****ing accomplished.

*plonk*

Old March 24th 08, 12:32 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Just to give credit where it is due, Jan Alter is the person who really
pioneered the switch over from Durabrite to dye colorant inks when he
ran into serious problems with the C series Epson printers which
normally use the fast drying OEM pigment/resin inks. He is the person
who found alternative refillable cartridges and a good dye ink source
and tested them in a school environment.

I can attest to the problems with the Durabrite ink printers, because I
get mostly clogging problem reports about them, in massively larger
numbers than any other ink formulations, INCLUDING 3RD PARTY. This is
why I find claims of "buy only OEM ink" so annoying, because many people
I deal with, not only with Durabrite inks, but also with dye inks,
testify to me they have never used anything but OEM inks and still get
clogs.

In recent years, (in at least the last 5 years) since the 3rd party ink
industry has consolidated and refined the formulation and manufacturing
process, although I have not run scientific statistical analysis, I find
no meaningful differences between using OEM and 3rd party inks in terms
of reported clogs, when the inks are designed for the appropriate
printer model (not generic refill inks, in other words), and, as I
stated, in the case of Durabrite inks, the use of dye colorant inks
(which are almost always 3rd party) often resolves the problem once the
printer has been flushed clean using cleaning cartridges.

Although I agree that each manufacturer's methods differ in cartridge
and head design and that needs to be considered, in general, most inks
sold today by refillers work reasonably well, or they would lose their
business. I don't believe that Epson's heads are any more vulnerable to
clogs as a technology than Canon, for instance, both of which use
permanent or semi-permanent heads and in most cases, the heads can be
cleared with the proper techniques.

Without taking sides in this discussion, GMAN's comments are based upon
his experience and reflect that of many who get refilling done, and it
provided useful and experiential information.

On the other hand, I don't know who the other quote came from,
but "Refilling, the big mess saves nothing." is blatantly untrue as a
generalization. Refilling almost always saves considerable money, and it
may or may not be a big mess depending on the type of cartridge and the
technique used.

Art