Walgreens Cart Refill for Epson?

Old March 20th 08, 11:55 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
gmark

Default Walgreens Cart Refill for Epson?

I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it, and how many times can I refill the same
cartridge?

Thx!

Mark
Old March 21st 08, 12:36 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Al Bundy

gmark wrote:
I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it, and how many times can I refill the same
cartridge?

Thx!

Mark

I don't know about your specific cart series. Others will. What I do
know is that I followed another thread in another group where
Wallgreens was apparently putting about 9-10g of ink in a #45 HP cart
that was designed to hold 42 g. He wondered why it was printing so few
copies. So whatever you do, be sure to measure the output to see if
you really save anything. I weigh my carts on a scale accurate to 1/10
of a gram.
Old March 21st 08, 05:19 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
measekite

gmark wrote:
I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Refilling, the big mess saves nothing. You will spend less and get
less. The only way to save on ink is to get the mfg OEM ink from some
vendor who charges less than another vendor.
Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

If you do not care about quality then the only thing you should be
concerned about when spending less is that the crap ink will not clog
the printer.
Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it,

Probably not unless you print a great deal.

Old March 21st 08, 05:19 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
fredk

On Mar 20, 6:55 pm, gmark wrote:
I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it, and how many times can I refill the same
cartridge?

Thx!

Mark

Hi Mark,

In order to do a successful refill on Epson cartridges with 9 contacts
on the chip the cartridge must be refilled before the level of ink in
it goes below 10% of full. To check this the cartridge to be filled
must weigh at least 21.5 grams. Also, a chip reset device has to be
used to reset the chip to read "full". If your Walgreen store does not
have the reset device they can order one from
for $16.95 plus shipping.

Fred
Old March 21st 08, 09:40 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article 37980961-99f8-4d30-9b2c-5269d4e57b55@
8g2000hsu.googlegroups.com, says...
I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it, and how many times can I refill the same
cartridge?

Given the non-user-replaceable fixed heads on an Epson, I would be
EXTREMELY cautious about using non-Epson ink. Mess up your heads, and
you will need to buy a new printer (or pay $$$ to have it repaired).

At least with HP's and some others, the heads are part of the cart, so
if the ink is bad, you just change the cart.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old March 21st 08, 10:43 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

[...]

Absolutely.  You save nothing.

At least with HP's and some others, the heads are part of the cart, so if the ink is bad, you just change the cart.

Old March 21st 08, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

(snip)

Given the non-user-replaceable fixed heads on an Epson, I would be
EXTREMELY cautious about using non-Epson ink. Mess up your heads, and
you will need to buy a new printer (or pay $$$ to have it repaired).

At least with HP's and some others, the heads are part of the cart, so
if the ink is bad, you just change the cart.

You are right that caution is advisable when selecting aftermarket inks for
refilling. That is true for Epsons because of the fixed printhead, but it
is also true of the majority of Canon printers. Who wants to replace a
printhead, even though it is removeable! There are, however, excellent ink
sets available for Epson printers that are no more prone to clogging
printheads than Epson OEM inks. I don't know a thing about Walgreen's
refilling station or the inks they use. Caution is to also be exercised
when using prefilled aftermarket carts. Unfortunately, Epson's suit has
pretty well dried up that marketplace in the US from what I understand.
(our resident troll will now weigh in to tell us that Epson is to be
applauded for guaranteeing that consumers now have to pay for their overly
expensive inks in the US)

A person I know, who has no technical skills at all, has refilled a
dye-based older Epson printer's black cart several times. She doesn't print
colored images often, but she uses the printer for lots of text documents.
Although I wouldn't recommend what she did, she bought some "generic" ink at
one of the local big box office supply stores and just followed the
instructions. Not a problem in over two years of printing. Better to be
cautious, as Andrew suggests, see what people on this NG or the Nifty-stuff
forum use successfully in their Epson printers, and buy what they recommend.

Old March 22nd 08, 06:47 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
gmark

On Mar 21, 5:52*pm, "Burt" wrote:
(snip)

[...]

Great info.! Thanks, all!
Mark
Old March 22nd 08, 02:00 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I think this case is really overstated.

In fact, with the Durabrite ink cartridges used for the CX8400 and other
similar printer models, if the replacement ink is non-pigment (using dye
colorant) the clog potential is considerably less than with the Epson
OEM inks of these types.

Other ink formulations may vary in clog potential. In most cases clogs
can be repaired.

Art

Old March 22nd 08, 06:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GMAN[_4_]

In article , boyhowdy wrote:

gmark wrote:
I've looked at a lot of stuff on the web concerning refilling inkjet
cartridges, but most of it is pretty old news, and not specific to
Epson. I've got a new CX8400 that uses the Epson 69 series of
cartridges.

Will I have problems with getting these cartridges refilled at
Walgreens? Would I save more if I just bought a refill kit?

Refilling, the big mess saves nothing.

Bull****, I have refilled my HP 96 carts 6 times each. That has saved me at
least $20'ish each time!!!

You will spend less and get
less. The only way to save on ink is to get the mfg OEM ink from some
vendor who charges less than another vendor.
Does this particular printer have some sort of chip in the cartridge
or some other mechanism that could cause problems?

I'm not using the printer for other than viewgraphs for work, so
absolutely accurate color isn't a big deal to me.

If you do not care about quality then the only thing you should be
concerned about when spending less is that the crap ink will not clog
the printer.

Not an issue with HP printers, no head to clog on the printer. And if the
refill fails on the 4-8th time, i just toss the cart.

Or maybe someone else (Office Max? Depot?) does a better job?

Is the savings worth it,

Probably not unless you print a great deal.
and how many times can I refill the same
cartridge?

6-8 times with the HP 96/97 carts

Thx!

Mark