Urgent help needed: new Athlon XP 3000+

Old July 15th 03, 08:24 PM
Caroline

Default Urgent help needed: new Athlon XP 3000+

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:22:19 +0100, "nightic"
wrote:

"Caroline" wrote in message
.. .
I'm sorry, I think this is gonna sound really stupid but I *cannot* work
it out!

I've built my own PC before, only that time a helpful dealer assembled
the mobo, hsf and processor. This time I'm on my own...

..and so my new Athlon XP 3000 arrived today in a dull little cardboard
box. I didn't get the retail kit cos I've bought a near-silent HSF. So
there's just the chip and .... well, nothing. And that's ok, cos I do
know how to do this stuff, how to apply paste and all that - been
checking it all and reading tons.

But here's the silly bit: has anyone had such a chip? Y'see, it has a
definite pink sheen which makes me think the core has a plastic film
covering over it. Yet I've studied it with a magnifying glass and if
there is, it's gotta be the thinnest piece of film in the world. Yet the
consequences of attaching a heatsink over a bit of plastic film rather
make me shudder (!). Can anyone give tihs damsel-in-distress some heads
up on what the core should look like...

They (XP3000+ as well the rest of the AMD range featuring "Barton" =

cores)
look precisely as you've described (the pink-ish hue).

Thank you *so* much heaves a sigh of relief and wonders whether there
will be any more 'gotchas'

Caroline

Caroline Picking,
Milton Keynes, England.