New PC won't boot off anything.

Old June 23rd 03, 05:09 PM
Sanchobilly

Default New PC won't boot off anything.

(Sanchobilly) wrote in message . com...
Where to start. OK, I bought a half built PC off the web with the
intention of scrapping together the remaining parts and finishing it
off. It came with a VIA p4x266 motherboard but I had to supply the P4
chip so I bought a 1.4GHz. Nothing worked(couldn't even get a screen)
so I replaced the motherboard - same story. Next I replaced the chip
with a P4 1.8GHz and this is where I am now.
The problem is as folllows:

The machine boots up, I can get into BIOS but on the screen immediatly
after this the machine freezes: it doesn't reboot, it just locks up. I
have the bare minimum attached to the motherboard: 32MB graphics card,
512MB DDR PC2100 memory and the heatsink for the chip. The two VIA
motherboards I have freeze at the same place and both give out the one
short beep at the start, so it's not the motherboard. The P4 chip is
been recognised as is the memory and it is my understanding that if
either of them were the problem, I wouldn't even be able to get into
BIOS. The graphics card I tested in another machine and it works fine.
I have messed around with nearly every BIOS setting and still the same
result. The only thing left I can think of is the power supply which
is 230V but that's standard and it's not like I'm powering anything
out of the ordinary.

I have tried booting off a floopy,CD and a hard drive all of which I
know are working but it just seems to lock up before these can get
powered up and with no error on the screen.

I have already spent enough on this machine but would gladly fork out
for a new power supply if it worked. I would really, really appreciate
you guys help on this one as I am completely stumped.

I bought a 450W power supply but it's still the same story on startup.
It didn't go any further towards booting so now I'm replacing some of
the components I can't test. I've ordered another stick of RAM so if
that doesn't do it I'll look into getting another P4 chip even though
this chip seems to work. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has on this
baffling problem. I'm going to keep posting my progress so this
doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old June 24th 03, 01:59 AM
R. Wink

Just a thought..I put together a system in an old case that had a bad on/off case switch, sometimes
it would work and others it wouldn't. Went to the local electronics store and bought a new one.
Put it in and found a problem "like" yours. Got so far into POST and died off. Got the beep and
all but when it went to read the HDD, it died. Thought I had a bad everything..swapped to other
computers and/or replace most everything then thought about it over a cup of coffee and a LARGE
Irish Mist.
Turned out that I had not removed the jumper internal to the case switch and it was maintaining
contact across the "on/off" header on the MoBo. Pulled the jumper and all was/is well. Check the
case switch and/or replace.
R. Wink

Old June 24th 03, 03:30 AM
JAD

have we suggested reseating the CPU?
"Sanchobilly" wrote in message
om...
I don't think you have the right board. Here is a link to the one I
have(should have included this earlier):

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/VL33S...otherboardId=5

I'm now pretty sure that I don't have the second power connection on
the board so do I buy a 400W PS?

"Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message

. ca...
"Sanchobilly" wrote in message
m...
Mistake in the above post: The power supply is a 300W. Sorry is this
caused confusion. I posted an hour ago about the only slot an extra
power cable could go in and I found out that AUX1 is for audio, I
think. So it's a S423 socket P4 chip and as far as I can see there is
no extra ATX connector for the P4 power supply. Having said all that
is it advisable to go for a 400W power supply?

Thanks guys.

If your MB is a ViaP4X266 and I've found the right photo the 4 pin

12volt
power connector is located between the 20 pin ATX power connector and

the
northbridge chip ( the one with the green heatsink on it) This is a

square
connector about a half inch square with the 4 pins arranged in a

square,
like so, o o
o o , you should have an identical cable and connector on the
Power supply to match.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Old June 24th 03, 04:35 PM
Sanchobilly

R. Wink wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks for your post. I followed your suggestion but unfortunatly it
made no difference. I tried my new memory stick but alas same story.
Did anyone ever hear of a case where a faulty P4 chip killed a
motherboard as I know now the first chip I had was bad and I had it in
both motherboards?

So far I've cancelled the memory, graphics and power as being the
problem. I'm nearly sure that the current P4 chip is good so that
leaves the motherboard. But as I've stated above, I have two identical
motherboards and both halt in the exact same place. Keep those
suggestions rolling in.
Old July 7th 03, 10:53 AM
Sanchobilly

(Sanchobilly) wrote:

[...]

Since my last post I've ordered a new Chassis for the PC and yet
another motherboard to make doubley sure. Neither have fixed my
problem which brings me to the only other piece of hardwa the P4
chip. It's being recognised but it's all I can think of. Is it
possible for a P4 chip to act like this, i.e.boot up and be recognised
but then just die before you can boot off any device? Please help...
Old July 8th 03, 05:06 AM
Stacey

Sanchobilly wrote:

Since my last post I've ordered a new Chassis for the PC and yet
another motherboard to make doubley sure.

Same Mobo brand/model?
--

Stacey
Old July 8th 03, 11:44 AM
Sanchobilly

Stacey wrote in message ...
Sanchobilly wrote:

Since my last post I've ordered a new Chassis for the PC and yet
another motherboard to make doubley sure.

Same Mobo brand/model?

Stacey,

I know what you're going to say: "Crappy chipset..." but I can't
believe that they would release a Mobo that doesn't work within it's
specifications. So yes it is the exact same make and model and yes the
exact same problem occurs but the mobo gives it's one beep so what's
your thoughts on a faulty P4 chip stopping on startup?

Thanks again.
Old July 9th 03, 06:25 AM
Stacey

Sanchobilly wrote:

Stacey wrote in message
Sanchobilly wrote:

Since my last post I've ordered a new Chassis for the PC and yet
another motherboard to make doubley sure.

Same Mobo brand/model?

Stacey,

I know what you're going to say: "Crappy chipset..." but I can't
believe that they would release a Mobo that doesn't work within it's
specifications.

So you believe a P4 chip is more likely the problem than a KNOWN crappy
chipset on an extra cheap mobo? I bet if you put all your hardware on a
decent mobo you'd be using it instead of fighting it.

So yes it is the exact same make and model and yes the
exact same problem occurs but the mobo gives it's one beep so what's
your thoughts on a faulty P4 chip stopping on startup?

Very doubtful that is the problem but stranger things have happened. One of
those other crappy mobo's could have toasted it? Or you could toast another
plugging it into this one..
--

Stacey
Old July 9th 03, 06:13 PM
w_tom

I don't see basic numbers posted meaning that you may be
wildly shotgunning rather than first identifying the problem.
For example, how do you know the power supply is sufficient
for the task?

Intermittents always demand that fundamental basics first be
verified. Power supply voltages first must be confirmed as
demonstrated by a chart with wire colors in this URL:
http://www.hardwaresite.net/faqpowersupply.html

CPU created problems are a least likely possibility. Also
multiple motherboard failures due to inferior chips sets is
mostly nonsense. First confirm the obvious that requires but
seconds to verify. An inexpensive and ubiquitous 3.5 digit
multimeter is requruired if doing computer repair.

BTW, your posts are now harder to read because bottom
posting put reams of old, now- unnecessary information up
top. Even Google searches are now made difficult. Ignore the
intolerant. Make new information quickly available to the
reader. Top post. Any refenerces, like any technical paper,
are always attached at the end. We don't need to wade through
reams of old posts to read new important information. Ignore
the intolerant whose mission in life is to save you from
yourself - who demand silly bottom posting. Post what you
feel is best - not what the extremists demand. Make it easy
for the reader to get right into your latest post.

Old July 10th 03, 04:07 AM
Stacey

BTW, your posts are now harder to read because bottom
posting put reams of old, now- unnecessary information up
top.

???? Yea we all normally read from the bottom of the page to the top... You
should trim off the irrelevant parts of a post not just quote everything.

Even Google searches are now made difficult.

How is that true? Total BS.

Ignore the
intolerant. Make new information quickly available to the
reader. Top post.

Only ignorant people top post..
--

Stacey

Can't boot from CD Zotin Khuma General 6 November 16th 04 10:18 PM
Boot problem with Promise SATA Fasttrack S150TX2 Plus Wizard General 0 September 13th 04 06:54 PM
Hard drive will not boot Dave General 1 March 9th 04 06:16 PM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM