Windows Update pushing CNET NIC driver?

Old April 18th 06, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Windows Update pushing CNET NIC driver?

Anybody else get this hardware update on the Windows Update web
site?

"CNet Cnet FAST200 Pci Fast Ethernet Adapter"

So far, the Hardware Portion of Windows Update has been less than
useless. And for some strange reason I get that apparently silly
suggestion.

I have a Realtek NIC with a higher driver version already installed.
I also have a disabled built-in networking adapter.

It's not a problem. Mainly curious.
Old April 18th 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:
Anybody else get this hardware update on the Windows Update web
site?

"CNet Cnet FAST200 Pci Fast Ethernet Adapter"

So far, the Hardware Portion of Windows Update has been less than
useless. And for some strange reason I get that apparently silly
suggestion.

I have a Realtek NIC with a higher driver version already installed.
I also have a disabled built-in networking adapter.

It's not a problem. Mainly curious.

I have had nothing but problems installing drivers from windows update.
Working hardware and drivers become nonfunctional after reboot. Unless
you're having troubles with the hardware in question, give very serious
consideration about whether it's worth the risk (and your time) to try
and update using the Windows Update site for hardware drivers.

Regards,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old April 18th 06, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Same here, I updated my sound driver from windows update and though my
power supply was bad (it was going bad anyway). It happened to be an
automatic reboot from a BSOD. Needless to say I put the OEM driver back
in and GTA works fine now.

Old April 18th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Robbie McFerren wrote:
Same here, I updated my sound driver from windows update and though my
power supply was bad (it was going bad anyway). It happened to be an
automatic reboot from a BSOD. Needless to say I put the OEM driver back
in and GTA works fine now.

Yeah, sound and network driver updates via windows update have been
quite horrendous in my experiences.

Ari