Copying to added hard drive?

Old April 14th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Copying to added hard drive?

Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games, some
progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my other hard
drive for the operating system and other things.

Thanks
Old April 14th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article NDL%f.488$QP4.343@fed1read12, SHRED says...
Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games, some
progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my other hard
drive for the operating system and other things.

It'd be far easier to get one of the many free backup utilities and
schedule regular backups of the save game files for each game.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 14th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Conor wrote:
In article NDL%f.488$QP4.343@fed1read12, SHRED says...
Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games, some
progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my other hard
drive for the operating system and other things.

It'd be far easier to get one of the many free backup utilities and
schedule regular backups of the save game files for each game.

I am trying to word my question better:

I am adding another hard drive.
I want to move my games and some other applications over to it and keep
my OS (Win2000)on the original drive.
How?

Thanks
Old April 14th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

SHRED wrote:
Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

You can't just copy them over... the installation program set registry
entries that usually could not be done with backup program.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6
Old April 14th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

SHRED wrote:

Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added
hard drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that
will copy everything over, including changing registry settings,
so that I can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games,
some progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my
other hard drive for the operating system and other things.

That might be doable by utilities included with utility suites or
disk managers like PartitionMagic. It's never worked satisfactorily
for me. I would just reinstall on the larger hard drive?

I haven't been separating applications from the operating system
partition for years. I reinstall using a disk manager to keep
incremental backups of the operating system partition to the point
where the basics are included and everything looks good, then I go
from there. (Windows XP is like a decent house built on a landfill.
Trying to keep the yard looking good is pointless.)

Good luck.

Old April 14th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

SHRED wrote:

Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games, some
progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my other hard
drive for the operating system and other things.

Thanks

I can guarantee CasperXP although 'apparently' it cost's money. It did
a brilliant job on four or five drives and not that slow either. Exact
clones were reproduced, so you could take one drive out put a cloned
one in and you couldnt tell the difference.

Regards , Andy

Old April 15th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

It is further alleged that on or about Fri, 14 Apr 2006 05:15:14
-0700, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of SHRED
spewed the following:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8
--
-nos1eep
Old April 15th 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Yes, but you have to think this through carefully. I'm
assuming you have a fairly small drive now, and you are
adding a bigger drive to get more space. You need a
program like PowerQuest Drive Image. First slave
the new big drive to your present drive. On the new
drive, split it into 2 partitions .. the first will be the
size of your present C-drive .. the 2nd should be
the rest of the new drive. Run Disk Image, and save
the image to the new D-drive ( the 1st partition on
the new big drive ). Second, copy that image to the
last partition on the new big drive. Then create a
boot ( restore ) floppy using the Disk Image program.
Remove the old drive, and make the new drive a
master. Boot the computer to the floppy ( DR DOS )
and tell it you want to restore the image. You should
be able to detect the 2 partitions on the hard drive,
and restore the image to the First partition which
will become your restored C-drive with the image
on the D-drive. Note: if you have a problem with
drive letters ( DI gets confused ), then just do a
minimal OS install to the first partition, even if you
have to delete it in order to make it a recognizable
C-drive. Then do the floppy boot and tell it to
restore. That will work for sure. You can even put
DI on the minimal C-drive and restore from there
without using the floppy boot, but the floppy boot
is quicker. You may even need to change the
drive letter on the 2nd partition, but no biggie
there. The minimal OS install can do that.
After you are done, you now have an intact old
drive to hang on to, and your system is up
and running identical to what you had. Later,
if you want to, slave the old drive to the new
and keep it that way to archive old files, or if
you feel you have every thing you need, format
it for the extra space.

johns

Old April 15th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

SHRED wrote:

Is there a way to copy games and other programs over to an added hard
drive from the existing hard drive.

I was wondering if there is a program (preferably freeware) that will
copy everything over, including changing registry settings, so that I
can avoid reloading everything again.

I will soon add another hard drive and want to store my games, some
progs, photos, media files, etc...over to it and keep my other hard
drive for the operating system and other things.

Thanks

This will copy the programs and adjust the registry and it is freewa

Download it here -- http://digilander.libero.it/rareware/coa2.zip

Regards
Lee in Toronto