High-tech vs. cheap-tech

Old April 10th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

Default High-tech vs. cheap-tech

The 15,000 laid off is old news, happened about a year or two ago. Now,
it is doing rather well.

Yousuf Khan

Old April 11th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

On 10 Apr 2006 12:33:08 -0700, "bbbl67" wrote:

The 15,000 laid off is old news, happened about a year or two ago. Now,
it is doing rather well.

The lay-offs were only announced after Mark Hurd took over as CEO last
summer, and they were expected to take 18 months. HP is only about
halfway through this round of layoffs.

As for "doing rather well", they are at least making money, though not
anything to get too excited about. For the last quarter of both
companies, Dell's net earnings were $1.012 billion on revenue of
$15.2B. HP's earnings were $1.2B on revenue of $22.7B, so Dell's
profit margin is actually better than HPs.

Doing a comparison by product lines is a bit trickier because Dell
doesn't seem to be reporting earnings by product like HP does.
However it is clear that HP's largest money-maker is their Imagine and
Printing group, with $973M in profit. The Personal Systems Group
(desktop and laptop computers) only had $293M in profit while
Enterprise Servers and Storage managed $326M in profit. Note: these
numbers may not necessarily reflect the $1.2B total profit above due
to differences in accounting.

Anyway, the point being that it's tough to say that HP is doing rather
well while Dell is in bad shape. Any anal...yst doing so is probably
just trying to pump up whatever stock they need pumping at the moment.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old April 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

Tony Hill wrote:
Anyway, the point being that it's tough to say that HP is doing rather
well while Dell is in bad shape. Any anal...yst doing so is probably
just trying to pump up whatever stock they need pumping at the moment.

I don't think it's necessarily an analyst trying to pump a specific
stock, as much as it is just coming up with a hypothesis behind some
stock price directions recently. During the past couple of quarters, HP
has rocketed after their earnings reports, while during the same period
Dell has plummetted. Investors are reacting to something that's
relatively different between them, and I think it's probably the
product mixes. Other than product mixes, their numbers aren't too far
off of each other.

Yousuf Khan

Old April 12th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

"bbbl67" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 15,000 laid off is old news, happened about a year or two ago. Now,
it is doing rather well.

Yousuf Khan

That would be incorrect Youssuf. I know several HP engineers that won't get
the can until November. They have only laid off about 5000 of the 15000.
There will be 5000 this summer and 5000 again in the late fall/winter.
Trust me, things are just now starting to hurt for them. They are not doing
rather well at all. They are downsizing products and the brains that build
them. They are turning into Packard Bell. In fact, their new name should
be Hewlett Packard Bell. I can't believe you think they are doing well.
They are not! There cash flow is very small comparatively and paying
millions to worthless execs that lost them big money didn't help.

Old April 12th 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony Hill wrote:
Anyway, the point being that it's tough to say that HP is doing rather
well while Dell is in bad shape. Any anal...yst doing so is probably
just trying to pump up whatever stock they need pumping at the moment.

I don't think it's necessarily an analyst trying to pump a specific
stock, as much as it is just coming up with a hypothesis behind some
stock price directions recently. During the past couple of quarters, HP
has rocketed after their earnings reports, while during the same period
Dell has plummetted. Investors are reacting to something that's
relatively different between them, and I think it's probably the
product mixes. Other than product mixes, their numbers aren't too far
off of each other.

Yousuf Khan

I'm telling you now, wait until the 1st quarter next year. HP is a bad,
bad, stock.

Old April 12th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

On 11 Apr 2006 08:57:37 -0700, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
Anyway, the point being that it's tough to say that HP is doing rather
well while Dell is in bad shape. Any anal...yst doing so is probably
just trying to pump up whatever stock they need pumping at the moment.

I don't think it's necessarily an analyst trying to pump a specific
stock, as much as it is just coming up with a hypothesis behind some
stock price directions recently. During the past couple of quarters, HP
has rocketed after their earnings reports, while during the same period
Dell has plummetted. Investors are reacting to something that's
relatively different between them, and I think it's probably the
product mixes. Other than product mixes, their numbers aren't too far
off of each other.

It's not just the last quarter, HP's stock has gone up pretty
consistently since February of last year when they gave Carly the
boot! Product mixes might have something to do with it, but I think a
lot more of this stems from corporate restructuring.

-------------
Old April 12th 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
[...]

Talking of err, Carleton... I see she just got appointed to TSMC BoD. I
still can't figure how that stuff works... bounce from one corporate
disaster site to another for 20 years or so and you end up with offers of
plum sinecures. Tell me it's err, the Lizard people.... please.:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old April 13th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
[...]

Hell, we've still got our lizards. These same folks were just telling us
how well our customers are doing (up 40% here, 35% there) and I turned to
a former boss and said, yeah and we get 0%. ...or less. Me bitter? Not
a chance. I'm over the hump.

--
Keith
Old April 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

news

wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
[...]

They must have been paying you enough. You didn't quit.

del

Old April 14th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:26:04 -0500, Del Cecchi wrote:

news

wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
[...]

Quit? Not until I got what was "promised" me. I would have been *long*
gone with the deal the newbs get. Us old *******s have the locked-in
bennies. ...as long as the company survives, anyway.

--
Keith