Spyware

Old February 5th 06, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Spyware

Yo, experts -

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,
so I went to their Web site and downloaded it. Then
I tried to BUY it, which they said was necessary to remove the
viruses, etc. that it detects, cookies, etc. but the site was very
confusing so I gave up.

Now, Spydoctor periodically lists the stuff it has identified.
I go to My Computer, through the prompts, to documents and settings,
and Select and Delete everything.

My question: Does Deleting the stuff really get it off the computer?

Or where does it go?

I was quite willing to buy Spydoctor, but if this is doing it...?

Your input appreciated.

Aspasia
--

A king can stand people fighting but
he can't last long if people start

Will Rogers
Old February 5th 06, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Aspasia wrote in message
Yo, experts -

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,

You could probably do as good a job by using SpywareBlaster, and it's free.

Old February 5th 06, 01:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Spammy Sammy" wrote in message

Aspasia wrote in message
Yo, experts -

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,

You could probably do as good a job by using SpywareBlaster, and it's
free.

Do a Google for it. Not great reviews.

Old February 5th 06, 06:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Hi!

I think you'll find there are a lot better set of tools out there, some of
which are free. For starters, I'd look at (in no particular order)
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (free for personal use), Spybot Search and Destroy
(donationware the last I knew) and possibly Microsoft's own MS Anti-Spyware
product.

Other tools that might come in handy are HiJack This! and CWShredder. (These
are for particularly stubborn messes.)

If nothing else, you may wish to consider more than one tool. I don't know
of any that are 100% effective.

William

Old February 5th 06, 10:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I'm not familiar at all with Spy Doctor. I'm also not clear on exactly what
you are doing... Deleting everything in Documents & Settings??? That deletes
all the profiles except the one that is active....

My recommendation to folks is to get Spy Sweeper (WebRoot). Excellent
program. Costs anywhere from $30 to $0 depending the deals. It is a
subscription service. Best part is it is updated very frequently (code &
sigs) and it blocks spy/malware before it is installed. Also blocks attempts
to add auto starting programs and browser hijacks.

Of course, I also have Ad Aware (Lavasoft) and Spybot Search & Destroy as
added sweepers. Since I added Spy Sweeper, neither has found anything other
than an occasional tracking cookie....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old February 5th 06, 10:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Aspasia wrote in message
[...]

Another freebe is Ad-Aware SE Personal available from http://www.Lavasoft.de

It gets rid of most of the crap!

HTH

Old February 5th 06, 12:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,

If you`d like to head over to my site, I try to point to legit free
apps for spyware removal (about 80% of all the ones you see are
actually fake, and are a form of spyware in themselves)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

There`s a lot of text i`m afraid, as I ramble on, but hopefully i`ve
got some useful info in there !

You could probably do as good a job by using SpywareBlaster, and it's
free.

Do a Google for it. Not great reviews.

SpywareBlaster doesn't remove spyware - it locks down activex exploits
- and what it does, it does well.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old February 5th 06, 12:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,
so I went to their Web site and downloaded it. Then
I tried to BUY it, which they said was necessary to remove the
viruses, etc. that it detects, cookies, etc. but the site was very
confusing so I gave up.

Glad to hear it - its one of the rogue (FAKE) lets-pretend-you-have-
****-on-your-system apps.

http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

#2 on the list under "#1 Spyware Killer"

---
#1 Spyware Killer

1spywarekiller.com
surfertools.com

false positives work as goad to purchase; poor scan reporting; dubious
corp. associations (1); same app as Max Privacy Protector, SpyDoctor,
SpyFirewall, Spyinator, SpyKiller 2005, SpyLax, SpySpotter,
SpywareThis, & Spyware Protection Pro; Ad-aware knockoff [A: 10-5-04 /
U: 2-7-05]
---

Old February 5th 06, 12:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

A knowledgeable friend recommended Spy Doctor,

Just reading through my previous link, can you confirm you`re talking
about SpyDoctor, and *not* Spyware Doctor ? (see the entry for SpyLax)

Spyware Doctor is legit.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

No spyware, adware, malware, etc :( Monica Dell Computers 12 July 2nd 05 05:56 AM
Spyware Steve Dell Computers 2 December 15th 04 02:51 AM
Best Spyware Remover JBlock56 Dell Computers 16 December 2nd 04 11:18 AM
Spyware problem Bruce General 10 October 12th 04 08:26 PM
Dell Policy Forbids Spyware Removal Support whayface Dell Computers 4 December 5th 03 11:50 PM