Computer won't get past the windows logo, reboots after

Old April 16th 06, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Computer won't get past the windows logo, reboots after

Hi Guys,

I am having this problem with my pc. I turn it on, it boots fine until
it hits the windows logo (Windowns XP pro) screen, at which point it
stays there for the regular few seconds, then the computer restarts
itself. It refuses to go to safe mode or to last known good
configuration.

It doesnt seem like a hard disk problem, because I tried the same HD on
another computer, and it works fine. On the other hand, the other hard
disk will make my computer still exhibit the same symptoms, i.e.,
infinite reboots.

Any ideas or help would be great !

Thanks,
Rayan

Old April 16th 06, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"rayan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys,

I am having this problem with my pc. I turn it on, it boots fine until
it hits the windows logo (Windowns XP pro) screen, at which point it
stays there for the regular few seconds, then the computer restarts
itself. It refuses to go to safe mode or to last known good
configuration.

It doesnt seem like a hard disk problem, because I tried the same HD on
another computer, and it works fine. On the other hand, the other hard
disk will make my computer still exhibit the same symptoms, i.e.,
infinite reboots.

Any ideas or help would be great !

Thanks,
Rayan

unplug all or any USB devices and try again.

Old April 16th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 16 Apr 2006 02:44:43 -0700, "rayan" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am having this problem with my pc. I turn it on, it boots fine until
it hits the windows logo (Windowns XP pro) screen, at which point it
stays there for the regular few seconds, then the computer restarts
itself. It refuses to go to safe mode or to last known good
configuration.

It doesnt seem like a hard disk problem, because I tried the same HD on
another computer, and it works fine. On the other hand, the other hard
disk will make my computer still exhibit the same symptoms, i.e.,
infinite reboots.

Take a look at the mainboard. Look at those little can things on it,
there are a bunch. If any are bulging at the top or leaking the board
is done for. If all look fine, then it might be time to try a
different power supply.

Old April 16th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Consider there may be bad RAM, and so everytime it reaches a particular
memory address, no matter what hdd you are using it simply reboots. I would
try memtest on it; a free program that you can download. Alternately, if you
have two sticks of RAM on the mb then remove one and see if the machine
will boot to the desktop. If it works then substitute one RAM chip for the
other and try it again.
--
Jan Alter

or

Old April 16th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks for the replies guys.
Well, I tried the stuff you guys recommended.

-RAM: it doesnt seem like any of the sticks is busted, coz i tried
removing one and then the other and its still not working.
-the capacitors on the motherboard are not bulging or leaking
-the whole thing was working fine 2 days ago, so i dont think its the
power supply either
-unplugged all the USB devices... no help there

One other thing that i notice. Sometimes I glance the dreaded blue
screen, but it only shows up for a split second before the whole thing
reboots again...
At this point I can't figure out whats gone wrong, and the only thing
that comes to mind is the bios. What do you think ?

Thanks again,

Rayan

Old April 16th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I think you mentioned that you couldn't get it to boot in safe mode. As it
starts you hit the F8 key? And you get a menu and you choose safe mode? And
when booting it still resets? You say it refuses to go to safe mode. Pushing
the F8 key early enough can sometimes be problematic and done several times
to hit it just right. Try it again.

If you haven't done it that way give it another shot.

Let us know what happens.

--
Jan Alter

or

oups.com...

Old April 17th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

rayan wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am having this problem with my pc. I turn it on, it boots fine until
it hits the windows logo (Windowns XP pro) screen, at which point it
stays there for the regular few seconds, then the computer restarts
itself. It refuses to go to safe mode or to last known good
configuration.

It doesnt seem like a hard disk problem, because I tried the same HD on
another computer, and it works fine. On the other hand, the other hard
disk will make my computer still exhibit the same symptoms, i.e.,
infinite reboots.

Any ideas or help would be great !

Thanks,
Rayan

Try removing all add-on cards. If problem goes away, add them back
one-at-a-time until you find the culprit.

Old April 18th 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

hard drive failure possibly the slave or a partition on the boot drive

"rayan" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks again guys, still not working...
New developments tho:

1- I lost my cd-drive and dvd-drive, i.e. the computer won't let me
boot from them either...

2-I F8'ed the thing and told windows to stop rebooting every time it
hit an error, and now i can see the BSOD, with the following message :
-unmountable boot volume

I undestand the problem, i probably will need the drivers or some .ini
file, which means that i need the windows XP cd, which brings us back
to the fact that I can't access those anymore.

I am stumped.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
rayan