LCD monitor-give me back my CRT!!!!

Old April 16th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default LCD monitor-give me back my CRT!!!!

Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows solitaire,
and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5 yeras
old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Mark (old too)

Old April 16th 06, 03:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

pheasant rattled our cages with this on Sunday 4/16/2006

Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows solitaire,
and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5 yeras
old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Mark (old too)

I'm using an Acer AL1916 19" LCD with a GE force MX4000 PCI with 64 Meg
of RAM. I just started Windows Solitaire and have none of the symtoms
you describe. I have a solid green background and the face cards look
completely normal. One thing I did find when I first installed the LCD
monitor was that it really shines in its native resolution and looks
kind of busy and crappy if you step outside those bounds. My
parameters are exactly the same as yours. 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

No older than me. ^^

That's all,

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you"

Colin Sautar

Old April 16th 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

pheasant wrote:
Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows solitaire,
and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5 yeras
old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Mark (old too)

I am having the same problem on my spouse's PC with an Aopen Nvidia
GForce4 MX 440 64MB AGP 4/8x with an oldish Samsung Syncmaster 760V TFT.
The background of face cards appear to twinkle and it looks like the
isolated black pixels are turning off and on. The Samsung 760V manual
recommends running at 60Hz. I have just replaced the system unit on her
PC and it has the MX 440 card. Her old system with a Yuan Sis 315
graphics card did not have this problem using the same monitor.

My PC with an ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600SE and a Hyundai B90A LCD monitor
does not have the problem.

Roger
Old April 16th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:19:59 -0700, Roger
wrote:

pheasant wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's probably the video card, or perhaps a bad cable between card
and monitor.

LCD's are not, in general, subject to flicker like CRTs are, so there
is no particular reason to run at high refresh rates. Slow your
refresh rate down to 60 HZ and see if that helps.

Terry
Old April 16th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:50:46 -0500, "pheasant"
wrote:

Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows solitaire,
and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5 yeras
old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Mark (old too)

I have found there is a huge difference between the analog/vga
connection vs. the DVI connection with my video card (ATI). I don't
know if your card has a dvi socket or what you are doing now, but if
you are using a VGA cable and you have the DVI option, that will make
a difference I'll bet.

Charlie
Old April 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"pheasant" wrote in message
Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows
solitaire, and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5
yeras old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Happy Easter one and all!!

A big THANK YOU to the group, I set the refresh rate to 60, and it's rock
solid now. (Kids even say the print is eaiser to read).

Mark

Old April 16th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

pheasant wrote:
[...]

I tried boosting the refresh rate from the recommended 60 to 72 (manual
says good to 75) and that helped a little. Then I dinked around in the
menu settings and found an undocumented "Image Effect" with choices of
Sharpen/Medium/Soften. I switched from Sharpen to Medium and the
flickering problem went away. :-)

Roger
Old April 17th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:50:46 -0500, pheasant wrote:

Decided it was time to join the latest and greatest in monitors. Bought a
19" lcd flat panel. :\

Overall not too bad, just different, but played a game of windows solitaire,
and the background on face cards was "busy". Hard on the eyes.

The video card in this box IIRC is an old nVidia GE force 2MX (about 5 yeras
old) AGP 4x runs direct x 9, 1280x1024 at 72Hz.

Is this just the way lcd's behave, or do I need to look further into this?

Thanks

Mark (old too)

You might try adjusting the horizontal and vertical size, as the pixels may
not be lining up correctly with the LCDs.

Brad H