BIOS hard drive problems

Old April 13th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default BIOS hard drive problems

I have a computer I was working on putting together. It has a new
M863G motherboard with a AMD Thunderbird processor. However, I have
not been able to get it to recognize any hard drives. It recognizes
the CD-ROM, but ihas not recognized the 8 gig and 60 gig drives I have
put in it. Both of these drives are usable and recognized in other
systems. However they do not show up at all in the BIOS screens. I
believe I have the jumpers set correctly to Master. Can you give me
any more ideas of things to try that would make them visible?

Thanks,

Ken Walden

Old April 13th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Have you tried just detecting one drive at a time, changed cables? Can you
feel it running and getting power? And additionally are you sure you have
the cable connected to the mb with pin #1 in the right orientation? Lots of
mbs these days don't make it terribly easy to determine where #1 pin is.
Last, are you sure about the jumpering and that it's correct. Try master
jumpering first.

--
Jan Alter

or

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On 12 Apr 2006 16:23:47 -0700,
wrote:

I have a computer I was working on putting together. It has a new
M863G motherboard with a AMD Thunderbird processor. However, I have
not been able to get it to recognize any hard drives. It recognizes
the CD-ROM, but ihas not recognized the 8 gig and 60 gig drives I have
put in it. Both of these drives are usable and recognized in other
systems. However they do not show up at all in the BIOS screens. I
believe I have the jumpers set correctly to Master. Can you give me
any more ideas of things to try that would make them visible?

Thanks,

If they are western digital, a single drive should be set as such, not
master. Otherwise try a different cable.

Old April 15th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I've been doing one hard drive at a time. I know the cables are all
right because I've used the same IDE cable and power plug as I do for
the CD-ROM. That is detected fine. I've tried all different jumper
settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I would have to
assume that the hard drive is dead, but that doesn't seem likely. The
hard drive I'm currently using came straight out of a working computer,
it's a 8 gb quantum. The other hard drive was a 60 gig that I couldn't
get working in this computer and put straight into another computer in
which it works. Very strange.