Athlon 64 3400+ and registerd memory

Old May 16th 04, 03:58 AM
Ian Hopkins

Default Athlon 64 3400+ and registerd memory

Since it's just been my birthday and i have money, Im thinking about
upgrading my computer's processor to an Athlon 64 3400+. I have enough
for the processor and the mobo, but my current RAm (1 gig of OCZ 184-pin
DDR 400mhz unbufferd/non-ECC) is un-registerd and ive read that the
Athlon 64 series likes registered memory. Can i use my old memory with
my new CPU/mobo and if so will i get less performance than with
registred memory and how much more performance.

thanks
Old May 16th 04, 04:36 AM
Post Replies Here Please

Athlon 64 3400+ (socket 754) uses unbuffered memory. These boards do
not use registered memory. Some of the boards support ECC also but
most only support Non-ECC memory.

The best thing to do is check your motherboard site and most sites
will list compatible memory. Some these boards are real finicky about
memory. Check before you leap ;-))

Good luck

"Ian" == Ian Hopkins writes:

Ian Since it's just been my birthday and i have money, Im thinking
Ian about upgrading my computer's processor to an Athlon 64 3400+. I
Ian have enough for the processor and the mobo, but my current RAm
Ian (1 gig of OCZ 184-pin DDR 400mhz unbufferd/non-ECC) is
Ian un-registerd and ive read that the Athlon 64 series likes
Ian registered memory. Can i use my old memory with my new CPU/mobo
Ian and if so will i get less performance than with registred memory
Ian and how much more performance.

Ian thanks