ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

Old November 27th 18, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

On 11/26/2018 4:30 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:06:36 -0500, Paul

?ATTENTION?: DC Plug Polarity: inner Positive(+), outer Negative(-).
If You Are Looking for an Opposite Polarity Charger, Please Search
B01IVPXV38 or
www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVPXV38.

Your solution comes in two pieces. _____
/ \ +----+
+--------+ / \ | ----- Barrel
--- Adapter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| O o | | -----
--- \ Female/ +----+
+--------+ \_____/ | | == Male pins

That is a "polarized" adapter. The matching plugs have
(+) and (-) written on the side of the L-shaped thing
that plugs into the end of the adapter.

The two holes are different sizes, so it only plugs in
one way. The male pins are two different diameters.
The female portion has one hole bigger than the other.

Because it only plugs in one way, the product delivers
"Center Positive" by default. Before buying a keyed
product like that, you verify your KVM is "Center Positive"
before buying a Center Positive (keyed style) adapter.

*******

The other kind of adapter (ones at RadioShack) have identical
sized holes on the Adapter end piece. _____
/ \
+--------+ / \
--- Adapter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| O O |
--- \ /
+--------+ \_____/

As a consequence of this choice, the L-shaped piece that
plugs into that, goes *two possible ways*. It can go the
right way and the wrong way, so to speak.

If you were to buy such a thing, you'd use your multimeter
to verify the center pin was positive with respect to the
shield. This must be done with some care, to avoid
unnecessarily shorting out the adapter. This is the
kind I own.

Because of the added flexibility, I can have "Center Positive"
or "Center Negative", just by rotating the L-shaped
piece before plugging it into the adapter.

Such an adapter is only recommended for those who
like multimeters and have some grasp of the basics
of "electricity" :-) Not many pieces of electronics
have polarity protection, but some do.

*******

Since you bought the top item, you won't have to worry.

When you get it, verify it's "keyed" by means of the
two hole sizes, and that the plug only goes in one
way. (When the L-shaped meets the adapter end, only
one way of inserting it.)

The product is keyed for "Center Positive". As long
as the label in the KVM plastic shows "Center Positive"
as well, you're all ready to go.

I still like to use my multimeter, because I'd
a curious individual who verifies lots of stuff.
That's just the way I am.

Paul

Hi Paul - You know who I am. Much help in the past.

Looks like I'm ok. I shud receive the adapter in a week or two.
In the meantime - now that I have your attention - I can use your
guidance in another area.

I use a laptop to play movies on my TV via cable connecting the laptop
HDMI to the TV HDMI, both female. A HDMI cable does the trick.
Wouldn't you know - the laptop has gone up. To save my marriage, I
thought to connect an unused XP PC to the TV, and need an adapter to
do the job. This looks good:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Adapter-Active-Converter-Meters/dp/B07CB83X4N/ref=asc_df_B07CB83X4N/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455415643&psc=1

What do you think?
Thanks as before. Happy gobble gobble.
Pete

Read the caveats carefully! If you want to go from a VGA video out of the
computer to HDMI on the display this looks like the exact opposite of what
you need:

"NOTE: Support ONLY one-way signal transmit and convert from HDMI to VGA,
it is not reversible from VGA to HDMI. And The cable chip requires
sufficient power from output HDMI port. We have tested this converter cable
with most of... "

Old November 27th 18, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

I missed that. Thanks.
Pete
Old November 27th 18, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

I think the Amazon one is the wrong direction for you.
The Amazon one is:

computer (HDMI-out) ======== (VGA-in) TV set

But your TV has HDMI, and your computer has VGA.
The one you want, is like this.

Petes_Computer (VGA-out) ===== (HDMI-in) TV set

Unfortunately, that's an "expensive" direction.
It requires a digitizer on the VGA side, to make
a digital signal for the HDMI side. But I see prices
have come down *a lot*. At one time, a function similar
to this would be $300.

*******

I checked here, just to see what kind of price is involved.
The search turned up some turkeys instead of what I was
looking for, so not all of these are the right ones.

https://www.startech.com/Search?search_term=vga+to+hdmi

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...-1080p~VGA2HDU

Here is a picture of the adapter. It takes VGA plus
USB for power, and makes an HDMI signal. The back of
your PC would need a VGA and a USB.

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/me...A2HDU.main.jpg

That will give you some idea what kind of connectors
might be involved.

*******

When you're planning your project, you have two aspects
to solve, video and audio.

The HDMI to HDMI you were previously using, might have
been able to send audio over HDMI too. So the one cable can
carry both streams of information. HDMI digital format
has room for up to 8 channels of LPCM audio. Your home theater
could have a 7.1 speaker system for example. Not all program
content has 8 channels, so lots of times it will be stereo
and use 2 channels.

When you work with VGA, the VGA doesn't have audio.

For audio to get to the TV set from the PC tower
you've got, you'll either need a 1/8" plug to dual RCA
plugs (red and white on the TV set). Or, you'll need
the new adapter to handle audio (somehow).

The above adapter does USB to audio-over-HDMI. When you
plug in the USB plug, a new "sound card" will appear
in your sound output choices. You set the default sound
output to the new device, and the sound is carried on
the HDMI cable.

If the TV set is too old to support that, the analog
1/8" to two RCA males (red and white) will do the job instead.

*******

OK, here's an Amazon example of VGA to HDMI. Notice that
the resolution choices are limited, and they're mostly
VESA resolutions.

$26 (handles audio too)

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Adapte.../dp/B072ZW46JP

1920x1080@60Hz 1080p Full HD
1600x1200
1024x768
800x600

So it doesn't have a 1280x720 for example (720p).

Preferably, it's nice to have wide screen formats for your
particular application. 1920x1080 might be what you're using
now with the laptop. If so, then the device above is
a perfect fit (1080p). Ratio is 1.77

1280x720 is also 1.77 . That's 720p.

This one is even cheaper, at $16.

$16 (handles audio too)

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Conve.../dp/B01JYAYSUY

[P means Progressive Scan (what computers typically use)]

1080p 16:9 = 1.77 wide like TV
1600x1200p 4:3
1280x1024p 5:4
1280x960p 4:3
1280x768p
1280x720p 16:9 = 1.77 wide like TV
640x480p 4:3

I'm surprised they sell them for that little.

Anyway, those are examples of VGA to HDMI.

Now, double check what you need (I could be mistaken),
and when you pick something you like, post back for comments.

Paul
Old November 27th 18, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

John McGaw wrote:
On 11/26/2018 8:19 PM, Paul wrote:
wrote:

Hi Paul - You know who I am. Much help in the past.

snip...
I'm surprised they sell them for that little.

Anyway, those are examples of VGA to HDMI.

Now, double check what you need (I could be mistaken),
and when you pick something you like, post back for comments.

Paul

I had thought that, if this was my problem, I'd just pop in a proper
(but cheap) digital video card then I realized that doing so with an XP
OS might prove to be a driver disaster. Honestly, it might just be
easiest for OP to buy a new laptop -- ones up to this sort of task are
pretty cheap right now and way less hassle.

If the existing card had a DVI on it, you could try DVI to HDMI
passive dongle. If you had an FX5200, those only do 135MHz on DVI
instead of 165Mhz, and you might have to run the output at 720p.
Someone (unfortunately) reports a similar-sounding problem with
a 6200. I would have recommended a 6200, as cards were available
for three different slot types, but I see someone had a problem
when doing DVI to HDMI on the 6200. Both of those cards would
have WinXP drivers.

I don't really see a lot of AGP cards with HDMI on them,
I guess the intersection is the "empty set" or something.

And you're right, that the problem requires stepping back
a bit, and like McGyver, taking stock of what things you
have on hand, and how you can bodge them into something.

Paul
Old November 27th 18, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:19:12 -0500, Paul

[...]

You agree with J McGaw on this. Clearly I missed the boat on this - I
was too hasty. Thanks for pointing thaat out. It was a bad mistake
on my part. Gotta be more careful.

*******

[...]

This looks promising.

Now, double check what you need (I could be mistaken),
and when you pick something you like, post back for comments.

Thanks - I will. I'm not so sure now that this was a good idea. Might
be better just to get the laptop fixed. Or buy a new laptop.

Paul

Extension for Dell power adapter DC Cord ( NOT the AC Cord....) James Dell Computers 7 September 26th 10 10:54 PM
kvm switch does not function (Aten cs1782) Massimo[_2_] General 3 December 5th 08 05:58 PM
Power cord [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 December 8th 07 09:12 AM
di-604 power cord donut Homebuilt PC's 0 September 26th 07 07:03 AM
Power Cord? Scott Gateway Computers 1 December 11th 03 09:40 PM