Unreally Lucky HDD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 11th 18, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Unreally Lucky HDD

Slammed a few times the past couple days with fast black/brownouts.
Not sure if that exacerbated my HDD, which I'd run diagnostics and
begun a few months ago to suspect for a fault.

Seagate 2T HDD with probably going on 10 years usage. Diagnostic
software "red alerts" prompted me to clear off another 2T, a Samsung,
and lay down a very concise backup -- also where I already had a
backup, but much too sloppy then to be other than painful to
reconstruct from now.

Good deal. All but for around 40GBytes new data, on the Seagate, when
it really puked this morning over, again of late and more of
inconsistencies, by way of tossing back a chkdsk "dirty-bit flag" from
a couple days' power-dip slam-&-dunks. Normal, figure, as I'm not
interested in a UPS, not at all. Drives and components can take it,
more or less, if it isn't too hazardous a power environ. (Or a lot
more than actually do would be operating from a home UPS.)

Back to that 40GB...which is a pretty sad story. Real tear-jerker how
chkdsk wants to totally rearrange the Seagate, censoring out
directories and whatever else due to sundry errors - file & directory
related. That's just the way they do what they do, I suppose. Just
like I had a rebuild on the Samsung ready and prior. In the nick of
time, more like. I'm getting that 40GB back, the Ureally Lucky part
-- [heh finished the second I wrote "part" for, excuse me, 52GB] --
through an external 3.5" docking station, manually copying what I
managed to identify through a drive-comparator program [for data
differences]. Got all that recent data copied back for an addendum to
Samsung now.

The way the HDD was locking out on the computer was a No-Go;- even
failed a couple times to be picked up by the OS (not the BIOS,
thankfully). A docking station was simpler for cycling off and on
power a dozen or more times while copying between drive, totally-hosed
lockups.

Time to buy another 2T HDD - just not Seagate. I'll probably get
Western Digital. I'm not sure which I trust more between a Seagate
and Samsung, although for a fair share and sense of luck it's "OK" to
say Western Digital will be the first choice. Rather I'll go lazy and
join the pack, where Western Digital rules Amazon's marketing user
review feedback stats;- expensive or not HDDs subject to IT review
sites for longevity standings is also considerate if not smart[er],
just not as lazy.

My 2T drives that are crammed, also, with maybe 50GB remaining free;-
I expect to be adding another 1T drive before long to supplement this
2T.